Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:42 PM

54 posts, read 69,454 times

Advertisements

looks like this weather really gave a stress tests to homes so how the new builds hold up which builder is doing it right and who us cutting corners, should be very obvious now, heard lot of new construction in frisco had damages? thoughts, which builder wins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 02:50 PM

238 posts, read 172,985 times
Curious about new construction damages. I'm guessing there will be less new house damages because of pex pipes instead of copper?

Old 02-19-2021, 03:27 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,251,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaflicker View Post
Curious about new construction damages. I'm guessing there will be less new house damages because of pex pipes instead of copper?

Pex has been in widespread use for over a decade, so I doubt that is going to differentiate between new builders, but could be useful in determining which builder's homes are making more claims, but I doubt that will ever be easily broken down. If some insurance agency figures that info, they wouldn't share it.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:47 PM

459 posts, read 1,745,492 times
We are in a 2016 built Khov home in Frisco. We made necessary preparations and are okay so far, thank goodness. We have been pleased and have not heard or seen yet reports of significant damage in our neighborhood. Other primary builder in our neighborhood was Shaddock. A couple of others also, like Drees. We were very, very fortunate to not have lost power, however. Jury still out on pools, but we are lucky to not have one of those either.

Last edited by stargirl007; 02-19-2021 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 04:32 PM

8,143 posts, read 3,700,102 times
So this pex piping seems great on paper. And it's cheaper than copper. Is there a catch?

Old 02-19-2021, 08:22 PM

19,874 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So this pex piping seems great on paper. And it's cheaper than copper. Is there a catch?
I'm not a plumber but I've used PEX for a bunch of oddball projects.

1. It seems more susceptible to biofilms than copper or CPVC.
2. Long PEX coils are a pain to work with.
3. PEX should be cut with the right tools.....ends need to be clean cut, smooth, flush and 90 degrees vs. length. Decent hand cutters are about $15.
4. A 100% noob can become OK with PEX and EvoPex or metal Sharkbite push to fit connectors in a few minutes. The connectors are sneaky expensive. EvoPex only works on PEX and are not removable. Different Sharkbites can joint PEX to PEX, PEX to PVC, PEX to CPVC, PEX to Copper etc. and are removable.
5. Joints made underground when wrapped with the correct silicone tape are warranted for 15? years IIRC.
6. PEX can also be joined by crimp connectors - I know zero about that.
7. Sharkbite makes push to fit spigots, manifolds, Ts, clothes washer hot and cold hook-ups etc.

I ran a 1" water line from my lake house to the top floor of my boat dock ~305 total feet. Assembling/joining the 31 10' pieces took less than minutes.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm not a plumber but I've used PEX for a bunch of oddball projects.

1. It seems more susceptible to biofilms than copper or CPVC.
2. Long PEX coils are a pain to work with.
3. PEX should be cut with the right tools.....ends need to be clean cut, smooth, flush and 90 degrees vs. length. Decent hand cutters are about $15.
4. A 100% noob can become OK with PEX and EvoPex or metal Sharkbite push to fit connectors in a few minutes. The connectors are sneaky expensive. EvoPex only works on PEX and are not removable. Different Sharkbites can joint PEX to PEX, PEX to PVC, PEX to CPVC, PEX to Copper etc. and are removable.
5. Joints made underground when wrapped with the correct silicone tape are warranted for 15? years IIRC.
6. PEX can also be joined by crimp connectors - I know zero about that.
7. Sharkbite makes push to fit spigots, manifolds, Ts, clothes washer hot and cold hook-ups etc.

I ran a 1" water line from my lake house to the top floor of my boat dock ~305 total feet. Assembling/joining the 31 10' pieces took less than minutes.
Great info, thanks

Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 AM

19,874 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Great info, thanks
I meant to write 10 minutes above for the boat dock run. Sorry I was hyper-tired last night.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,251,254 times
PEX is superior for cold weather and freezing due to two main things, Pex has a much greater R value than copper, approximately 30 times greater. So it takes longer to freeze to start.

The main reason though, is that Pex can expand to nearly double it's size without bursting. Copper has no elasticity at all, and will simply crack and burst.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
PEX is superior for cold weather and freezing due to two main things, Pex has a much greater R value than copper, approximately 30 times greater. So it takes longer to freeze to start.

The main reason though, is that Pex can expand to nearly double it's size without bursting. Copper has no elasticity at all, and will simply crack and burst.
Well, this is why I was asking if there were a catch, appears to be better than copper for the most part and cheaper. I guess the expected lifetime is shorter but considering the events of this week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas