Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,198 times

Advertisements

Moving to the Dallas metro area due to job in downtown. Since most real estate within a 30 minute drive is out of price range, I was looking at DART rail. Would likely take DART from Carrollton area to heart of downtown. Is the DART rail system a safe, clean and viable option or would I be better off finding a carpool or driving on my own? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnrBrn View Post
Moving to the Dallas metro area due to job in downtown. Since most real estate within a 30 minute drive is out of price range, I was looking at DART rail. Would likely take DART from Carrollton area to heart of downtown. Is the DART rail system a safe, clean and viable option or would I be better off finding a carpool or driving on my own? Thank you in advance.
I would say DART from Carrollton to Dallas is safe and clean, despite the trains smelling bad occasionally. Carpooling will still be more convenient, though.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:40 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I've taken the DART daily to work downtown for 3 years. No real complaints. If you're used to public transit there are no surprises. It's reasonably priced, reliable, and I've rarely felt unsafe (feels safer than being on the roads! Haha). I enjoy taking the train and not worrying about traffic or parking.

However my experience is slightly different since I only take it 3 stops and not from Carrollton. I'm sure some others here can chime in on that specific route.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:26 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
As long as you avoid the West End Station you should be ok.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:30 PM

72 posts, read 60,266 times
I've been riding the DART redline from Plano to downtown since 2003. I have mixed feelings about it. I like putting gas in the car once every three or four weeks and not dealing with traffic but sometimes the trains are dirty and stink. Also I've had a few encounters with *very strange* and mentally unstable people. I think from Carrolton if you ride during main commuting hours you will be fine. If you think there is a chance you will work late then seriously consider driving. The type of passengers/riders after 6:30 PM really starts declining quickly and you may find yourself in an unsafe situation*.

*I'm a 40-something male and although I see many female passengers I would not want my wife riding.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
As long as you avoid the West End Station you should be ok.
West End Station has been terrible for a while. My newly adult kid has been riding DART for a couple of years. Aside from some bizarre scenes, one being a mentally unstable person attempting to sell an outdated packaged donut that they found under a seat to passengers (people politely declined), it's been OK. Kid made the mistake of getting off at West End to get a slice of pizza and was mugged. Or sort of mugged? Homeless guy cornered her and demanded money. No weapon at all, just intimidation. DART police were right there, paid no attention. She gave him the $5 she had just to get away and got back on the train.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
I take it from Richardson occassionally for events at American Airlines and have taken it a few time to and fro from DFW international. Yes it is definitely good for the most part. And I will say in my 4 years here the clientale have trending upwared. lots of people headed to work in center city form Irving, Lewisville, Carrollton, Plano, Richardson, and even Rowlett area.

West end station does indeed get the side eye.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM

379 posts, read 366,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnrBrn View Post
Yes. It is safe, generally clean, and reliable.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 34,636 times
You will get confronted immediately getting off the train at West End by people selling drugs or asking for money, or at least that's how it was for me 1.5 years ago.

But that's small fry. It's the police that are the real scourge at that station. They've got an evil vibe and are looking for any (well dressed/student or worker) person to harass and fine for anything, meanwhile all this pimping and hustling is happening literally in front of them. Got the first and only jaywalking ticket of my life at West End cause I walked slightly out of the lines of the crosswalk, with no train in sight. One cop threatened to taze me, then three officers backed me up against a wall and creatively insulted me yelling that I'm on drugs and threatening to arrest me for homelessness? for 20 minutes (making me miss my exam), while hobos and junkies jaywalked right in front of us the whole time. Nothing against hobos, but theres something really fishy and menacing going on with the PD at that station

If you gotta get off there dont hang around for a second

Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
I wish I couldn't back that up, but my experience is nearly identical. I avoid that station like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: