U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 111,785 times

Advertisements

I hear that there's no middle class in Dallas - that you're either rich or poor. Is this true? I am considering a move to Dallas and don't know how I'd be received as a gay Hispanic who isn't rich and trendy.

Should I move or not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM

937 posts, read 2,764,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
I hear that there's no middle class in Dallas - that you're either rich or poor. Is this true? I am considering a move to Dallas and don't know how I'd be received as a gay Hispanic who isn't rich and trendy.

Should I move or not?
I guess that would depend on how you define rich and poor but no it is not true.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM

35 posts, read 153,476 times
Definately NOT true. There is plenty of affordable housing here. I guess that misperception comes from the fact that a lot of people want to APPEAR rich here...I think it is called the 30k Millionaire syndrome?

As for "gay friendly" areas, look at Oak Lawn..though I do think that area is pricey.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,349,284 times
Dallas is very gay, very Hispanic and has a large middle class. Whoever told you that it did not have a middle class didn't know what they were talking about.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,681,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Dallas is very gay, very Hispanic and has a large middle class. Whoever told you that it did not have a middle class didn't know what they were talking about.
AGREE!!!!!!!!!

My parents are "middle class" and are doing fine. I'd say there are more "middle class" people in ALL of the Dallas area than any other socio-economic group.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM

685 posts, read 2,594,464 times
ehm I'm not really sure. If I've heard that the average price for a home in North Dallas is well over $400,000 and all the new townhomes and condos going up around the center city are also pricey. New Construction is almost a no go in good areas for the middle class since it's expensive. The only part of the city that I could see a middle class family buying a new home (150,000-250,000) would be south Dallas and that area is frowned upon by many.

The suburbs are more middle class. The city itself, is more rich or poor.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM

16,086 posts, read 39,392,161 times
Of course some people think that if they are working retail at Neiman's they are too good to be middle class!

Appearances can be deceiving..

Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,349,284 times
The only part of the city that I could see a middle class family buying a new home (150,000-250,000) would be south Dallas and that area is frowned upon by many. The suburbs are more middle class. The city itself, is more rich or poor.[/quote]

It's true that there is not much new construction in inner city Dallas under $250k. But, not everyone wants a brand new house. The city of Dallas has lots of nice, older, established neighborhoods in which a typical middle class person or family can buy a house/condo/townhome. Yes, the southern half of the city is frowned upon my many people. However, a lot of the people who think that way have never explored the southern half. They are just parroting long held stereotypes. Oak Cliff, in particular, has a lot to offer at every socio-economic level. It is also one of the most beautiful parts of Dallas.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM

5,392 posts, read 12,753,080 times
I think what the OP is saying is that the vast majority of the middle class live in the surburbs. The city itself is pretty much made up the poor and to the upper middle class on up. Of course there are exceptions to this rule but I would say that the vast majority of the teachers, firemen, policeman etc live in the burbs. This would not be a reason to not move to Dallas. There are nice affordable middle class neighborhoods in Dallas proper but it will require a little more research to find them.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

2,974 posts, read 9,024,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
The only part of the city that I could see a middle class family buying a new home (150,000-250,000) would be south Dallas and that area is frowned upon by many.

The suburbs are more middle class. The city itself, is more rich or poor.
My neighborhood (Casa Linda Forest) is very mid class, affordable... and I might add... desirable (maybe that's only to me...it has tall tress, homes are just big enough, but not too big and easy to access many parts of the city in a jiff). We have gay neighbors, Hispanic neighbors, Indian neighbors, widows, retirees, young families.

And besides my neighborhood, the OP would be comfortable in Little Forest Hills. And of course Oak Cliff around Bishop Arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas