Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I’m confused as to why you’d consider private school if you move to the HPISD attendance zone. One of big reasons people move there is because of the public schools.
Sorry - I wasn't totally clear there. We'll look into private schools and see where we can get in, but if we're not happy with our options from that process (or decide we prefer public) then we'd move at that point. In case that's what ends up happening I was curious about HPISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:52 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Hi i moved from your target area to Lake Oswego five years ago.

75287 is a good zip, then I'd suggest Lakewood. IMO, HP isn't worth it.
I love (and live in) Lakewood, but I would not love it if it involves having to commute to West Plano. That’s not a fun commute.

For the OP: I would suggest taking a look at some of the North Dallas areas close to the Tollway (Midway Hollow, Hockaday area, etc.). Very nice areas, in your budget range and pretty close to splitting the commute. That area is also the hub for private schools.

You could also look in some of the Far North Dallas areas such as Northwood Hills, Prestonwood, etc.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I would look in 75229 (northwest Dallas in DISD Withers Elem Zone). $700-800k is in the ballpark for a remodeled 3000sf Ranch on a 1/3 acre lot, easy access to tollroad for both commutes and Withers is a strong DISD elementary with neighborhood support. Plus, almost all of the top private schools and elite preschools are within 5-10 minutes.

For HP, $800k is a condo. IMO, I wouldn’t do it, especially if you’re thinking private school. To “keep up”, you need $350-450k range income (or a trust/ investment/ parents that bankroll you to that level). An “average” family is taking 3+ nice vacations a year, sending kids to camps that run $1500/week/kid for 3-4 weeks each summer, plus all the usual chamber/select/travel sports leagues and other kid hobbies and extra fundraising for the schools. You would need to almost double your housing budget to buy an updated 3000sf home in HPISD. And don’t forget the $30k property tax bill! People do it on less for sure but since you asked about keeping up, there’s your answer.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
I know Lake Highlands has been mentioned a few times, so I thought I’d share some commute times. We live over off of Walnut Hill and Audelia and my wife worked over off of Legacy and the tollway in Plano up until last year. Her morning commute took about 20 minutes and her evening commute took about 45 minutes.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
I know Lake Highlands has been mentioned a few times, so I thought I’d share some commute times. We live over off of Walnut Hill and Audelia and my wife worked over off of Legacy and the tollway in Plano up until last year. Her morning commute took about 20 minutes and her evening commute took about 45 minutes.
I’m surprised her commutes were that short because coming from Royal & Tollroad, it’s alwsys 20-25 minutes AM and 40-60 min PM. And my exit is a good 15 minutes cross town from where you live. My coworkers who live in LH have always said it’s an hour or more PM drive time (leaving Legacy 5:30-6PM). Maybe your wife worked later or left before 4:30?

Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I’m surprised her commutes were that short because coming from Royal & Tollroad, it’s alwsys 20-25 minutes AM and 40-60 min PM. And my exit is a good 15 minutes cross town from where you live. My coworkers who live in LH have always said it’s an hour or more PM drive time (leaving Legacy 5:30-6PM). Maybe your wife worked later or left before 4:30?
. She’d leave the house around 9 in the mornings and work around 6 in the evenings. I think she took the Texpress, as well. You rarely have any traffic until it dumps you onto 635 to get on the tollway.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 32,982 times
Farmers Branch is a great small city in a central location to everywhere. The population is only around 30K, there are a lot of homes at lower prices than Dallas, but larger lots. There are a lot of city events like their summer farmers market, date nights, independence day, etc. There is a lot of development going on in the city that will only bring up the value of the area. Also, the city staff seem to really care about their citizens. My current council member sends his constituents emails to keep them in the loop of what is happening in the city.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM

80 posts, read 73,439 times
If you're looking at short-term appreciation value, I would consider the westside of Dallas, although I don't know what the commute to Plano would be. Some will say this area is sketchy, but it's slated for a Central Market and has a ton of investment coming in. Kidd Springs or above Sylvan Ave. would be where I would buy. Coming from Seattle myself, I appreciate the actual hills and trees over here. I've been here about 9 months and it's my favorite part of Dallas thus far. Reminds me of Columbia City or Georgetown in Seattle. Great proximity to the city. Or like E Burnside in Portland depending on where from the PNW you're coming from. Good luck on your move!

Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 AM

68 posts, read 94,199 times
If you want to keep one parent close, I'd go with Plano or Far North Dallas (Dallas north of I-635). Plano starts north of the PGBT (TX 190). The commute downtown in the morning won't be fun though. I believe DART has an express bus though that goes down the tollway (and saves you drive, tolls, and parking). The other option is living farther east in Plano/Richardson and one commuting on the PGBT/Streets to W Plano. This way it's easy to hop on the train downtown, though it usually takes about 45 minutes from Plano-Downtown on the train.

Another good option is Far North Dallas in Richardson schools. Commute would be less bad downtown, though longer to Plano, but still not bad. Pearce HS is still a good school. It used to be probably #2 in the area after HP. One other thing to keep in mine about TX is there is no income tax, but there is a stinging property tax. HP/UP tax is less because there are very few homes under $1 MM.

If you can afford UP/HP, go for it. It's probably the safest real estate investment you can make in DFW. One thing I'd do is look at google maps for various commutes during rush times and even pull open Uber and see if that makes sense. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas