Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:56 AM

554 posts, read 683,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think you can see from this thread that some people could handle being younger and did great and others could not and regret the decision.

So you're going to have to decide this on your own, op.

No consensus.
Stan4 is right and I think this is because there are so many variables that you just can't predict. I've seen kids that were always tiny that had massive growth spurts over a year and kids that seem HUGE until like 14-15 and then they stop growing and everyone else outpaces them. I've also seen kids that are amongst the youngest in their grade have stellar social skills and kids that seemed socially proficient until puberty and then they appeared to regress.

You can't know how it will turn out either way. But that's the rub, isn't it? None of us are fortune tellers and as parents, we are so concerned about making the exact right choices for our children. I think rather than trying to make their lives perfectly optimal, we should instead be teaching them how to adapt and cope with whatever situations they face. IMHO, teaching a kid how to persevere despite challenges and developing grit are far more important than attempting to create the most idyllic childhood path possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:27 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
Imho we are judging OP too harshly and using her few lines to pass a verdict.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 PM

578 posts, read 478,675 times
There is no reason to hold back if she is shining in areas other than academics. Athlete, musical instruments, community services, NHS projects or whatever.
If this is not the case, OP has every right to be a tiger parent and expect the daughter to perform better academically.

That does not mean repeating a grade is guaranteed to work though. If she has no passion, she can never compete with students who feel the peer pressure and push themselves.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:13 AM

964 posts, read 876,976 times
A lot of bad information here.

OP - The answer is yes you can repeat a grade. We had a handful (5 or so) of kids in the Southlake Carroll School District who started school late and then repeated either 4th or 5th grade. They are now 16 year old freshman. This was obviously done for sports (all boys) but now the 16 year old Freshman QB has offers from 4 schools (as a freshman) and is now 6"3, 190lbs. None had grade issues at all. All are white also.

The way they repeated was by switching schools within the District. We have 2 schools that service those grades and they just went to the other school.

I wish my father would have either held me back or started later. It would have benefitted me greatly. I was a September birthdate and always one of the youngest in my class. I had no issues with grades or sports yet to this day still wished he would have done so.

A couple years ago my oldest was playing with a kid 2 grades younger than him and I was asking why he doesn't play with kids his own age (his own grade). He said""Dad, (name of kid) is older than me)" and he was.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
A lot of bad information here.

OP - The answer is yes you can repeat a grade. We had a handful (5 or so) of kids in the Southlake Carroll School District who started school late and then repeated either 4th or 5th grade. They are now 16 year old freshman. This was obviously done for sports (all boys) but now the 16 year old Freshman QB has offers from 4 schools (as a freshman) and is now 6"3, 190lbs. None had grade issues at all. All are white also.

The way they repeated was by switching schools within the District. We have 2 schools that service those grades and they just went to the other school.

I wish my father would have either held me back or started later. It would have benefitted me greatly. I was a September birthdate and always one of the youngest in my class. I had no issues with grades or sports yet to this day still wished he would have done so.

A couple years ago my oldest was playing with a kid 2 grades younger than him and I was asking why he doesn't play with kids his own age (his own grade). He said""Dad, (name of kid) is older than me)" and he was.
How does that apply to this kid?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
How does that apply to this kid?
It applies in that for those that said a District (Or state) that will not allow a kid to repeat a grade are incorrect. It is certainly possible to repeat a grade even if grades are not an issue.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
It applies in that for those that said a District (Or state) that will not allow a kid to repeat a grade are incorrect. It is certainly possible to repeat a grade even if grades are not an issue.
Possible sure. Even easy during elementary in some districts. Recycling during middle school is a different matter. For example if the athletes you mentioned above had recycled 7th or 8th they'd've lost one year of overall eligibility per UIL rule.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Possible sure. Even easy during elementary in some districts. Recycling during middle school is a different matter. For example if the athletes you mentioned above had recycled 7th or 8th they'd've lost one year of overall eligibility per UIL rule.
Yeah. Probably why they did it when they did. Luckily for OP this is not a sports issue so losing 1 year of eligibility is a non issue. The 5 that did this in our District were all from the same class.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
I don’t know what’s going on in football crazy culture but grade rention after 1st grade on parent’s request and without probable cause isn’t a norm in rest of the state. Almost all cases are based on poor student performance.

I’m assuming if a parent wants to do it in anticipation of athletic or academic advantage, there must be some loop holes which are being exploited.

However, in exceptional cases, placement of a student at the appropriate grade level may occur with the approval of a campus committee. A phone call or an email to your guidance counselor or principal should get you answers you are looking for. Your case is unique due to intercontinental transfer and student being younger than rest of the peers.

Most available information even research studies on this topic are limited to performance based retention, social promotion and gifted acceleration. Age related retention or promotion issues aren’t addressed much after 1st grade level.

https://tea.texas.gov/acctres/retention_index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas