Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 8,743 times

Advertisements

We are looking into summer camp options for our 9 yr old son and would greatly appreciate any thoughts, insights, etc. on Camp Olympia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
We did a family camp there last year and loved it (we'd have gone again this year but the dates didn't work for us). Staff is great, fantastic facilities/grounds, the food was even good. It's also non-religious which is important to us, but limits camp options considerably in the South/Texas as most seem to have a religious component. I don't think Longhorn is religious but we don't want to send our kids there either. If we sent our kids to camp in Texas, we'd probably send them to Olympia. The only downside to my wife and me is that the cabins are too "nice" which is why we are likely to send our kids either to New England or to the Northwoods in Minnesota/Wisconsin where things are often a lot more rustic. Again, that's complete personal preference for what we want for our kids. Many are the exact opposite and want nice accommodations for the prices that one pays these days for summer camp. I think there is a preview day in March that coincides with the overnight family camp where you can go for the afternoon and see how you like things. The family that runs/owns the camp is very nice and I am sure would answer any questions you have.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Thank you very helpful!

Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
My sons have gone to Camp El Tesoro in Granbury for years and love it. The camp has been operated by Camp Fire of Fort Worth since the 30's and they do an excellent job. Our family isn't religious and my kids are quite comfortable there.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
We did a family camp there last year and loved it (we'd have gone again this year but the dates didn't work for us). Staff is great, fantastic facilities/grounds, the food was even good. It's also non-religious which is important to us, but limits camp options considerably in the South/Texas as most seem to have a religious component. I don't think Longhorn is religious but we don't want to send our kids there either. If we sent our kids to camp in Texas, we'd probably send them to Olympia. The only downside to my wife and me is that the cabins are too "nice" which is why we are likely to send our kids either to New England or to the Northwoods in Minnesota/Wisconsin where things are often a lot more rustic. Again, that's complete personal preference for what we want for our kids. Many are the exact opposite and want nice accommodations for the prices that one pays these days for summer camp. I think there is a preview day in March that coincides with the overnight family camp where you can go for the afternoon and see how you like things. The family that runs/owns the camp is very nice and I am sure would answer any questions you have.
Camp Longhorn’s accommodations are rustic as far as Texas camps go. No A/C, no housekeepers, the same metal bunkbeds that have been there for 3 generations of campers.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Camp Longhorn’s accommodations are rustic as far as Texas camps go. No A/C, no housekeepers, the same metal bunkbeds that have been there for 3 generations of campers.

I do appreciate that. Our friends have a lake house basically right next to it on Inks so we see it every summer from the water (and my best friend attended and was a counselor at the other location). Just not a camp we're interested in for our family.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM

625 posts, read 667,651 times
Hi - I just happened to see this posting. My son (10) went to Camp Olympia last summer and LOVED it. Probably his most defining experience to-date. He didn't know anyone at all and had a great time (and he sometimes struggles socially). He is going back this summer along with his broth (who will be 9). He has also recruited a couple of friends to attend with him this summer. They will all be at Term 4. My son does the Golf intensive academy at Camp Olympia, but most kids do not. If you are interested, you should attend Family Camp weekend and the next Dallas Merit Party at Top Golf. Not many kids from Dallas seem to go to it, but a lot attend from Houston, San Antonio and even Mexico. (One of my son's counselors was from Mexico as was a couple cabinmates). Lots of activities and the cabins have A/C. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Hi - I just happened to see this posting. My son (10) went to Camp Olympia last summer and LOVED it. Probably his most defining experience to-date. He didn't know anyone at all and had a great time (and he sometimes struggles socially). He is going back this summer along with his broth (who will be 9). He has also recruited a couple of friends to attend with him this summer. They will all be at Term 4. My son does the Golf intensive academy at Camp Olympia, but most kids do not. If you are interested, you should attend Family Camp weekend and the next Dallas Merit Party at Top Golf. Not many kids from Dallas seem to go to it, but a lot attend from Houston, San Antonio and even Mexico. (One of my son's counselors was from Mexico as was a couple cabinmates). Lots of activities and the cabins have A/C. Let me know if you have more questions.
Thank you very good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas