Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 106,508 times

Advertisements

to mysterymachine and Jason - Thanks for your replies! We live in the suburbs of Washington, DC and get our fair share of thunderstorms each season. (had a pear tree lose some of its branches, too!) You both have put these pictures I saw on MSNBC in perspective. Appreciate so much that you took the time to reply - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM

69 posts, read 452,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoteacher View Post
You both have put these pictures I saw on MSNBC in perspective.
I just glanced at MSNBC. I noticed this line:

"Roughly 100 homes reported damage, mainly in Breckenridge, DeSoto and Hurst."

If those numbers are right, that is 100 homes spread out in about 10,000 square miles. I like my odds in that one.

Jason

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,029,990 times
I happened to fall asleep in front of the TV last night and I woke up about 3:00 AM. Good Lord you would have thought the apocolypse was nigh with the dire warnings of the weathermen.

They almost had this jaded Texan paying attention. The thing blew through, about five minutes of a little wind -- no big deal -- we should remember most of them fizzle after they go through Fort Worth.

I wish I had just gone back to sleep!

And mom I also had the horror of seeing that crushed 'vette.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM

23 posts, read 106,508 times
Jason - I also like those odds! Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM

583 posts, read 2,626,822 times
Went to the movies today in Legacy in Plano. (Saw Leatherheads--spend $5.00 or rent it) Some trees in the parking lot had damaged branches. Drove through Allen (over by the Outlets) on the way home and saw some damage to rooftops, trees twisted by Star Creek entrance, planes flip over by the mini airstrip, and a very large portion of a brick fence down. Mckinney--not much damage where we are. Our first spring here so far has been eventful!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

869 posts, read 2,945,618 times
I've lived in the Dallas area for over 30 years. I've seen one tornado (well, seen isn't exactly the word...we were inside a school with no windows, so we didn't really see anything)...I've been through lots of hail storms...but since I've always garaged my car, I've never had to pay for hail repair on a car...and I've had to pay to replace one roof...

Maybe Mother Nature just likes the east side of Dallas County better than the rest of the Metroplex...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
I've lived in the Dallas area for over 30 years. I've seen one tornado (well, seen isn't exactly the word...we were inside a school with no windows, so we didn't really see anything)...I've been through lots of hail storms...but since I've always garaged my car, I've never had to pay for hail repair on a car...and I've had to pay to replace one roof...

Maybe Mother Nature just likes the east side of Dallas County better than the rest of the Metroplex...
HEHEHEHE, snicker. That is what we say too.

Yep, been here 42+ years and both parents grew up here. From day one I've never seen a tornado and the closest I've ever been to one was the Mothers Day tornado that went thru the north end of Sachse and into Wylie. Tore up a few things but back then there was nothing there. I wasn't home in Northeast Garland when this when went thru back in 1993 so no big deal.

THEN, go on spring break this year to North Padre and Corpus and while we are sitting in a restaurant eating lunch that Tuesday the floods came thru here a tornado touched down a few blocks from where we were. LOL!!! Figures, closest I've ever been to one and I missed the whole darn thing. DRATS!

Parents never had to have a roof replaced till the same one we did too a few years back. Only vehicle that ever got hail damaged was my husband truck during the same hail storm. I'd say that is pretty good odds for 42 years.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,761,729 times
The worst came through the Las Colinas area around 3:45 this morning... have to say the wind, rain and lightning put on quite a show, but it blew in and out rather quickly - no damage, no limbs down, etc., and after everything settled down... we then lost power for about an hour, which was really odd... it had flickered a lot at the height of the storm... so have no idea why it went out afterwards, which has never happened here!

So, maybe Mother Nature favors the west side of Dallas County as well!?!

More like some of us were extremely fortunate... best to those in the other areas of the metroplex that were not as fortunate that have suffered so much damage... the pics coming in from Collin County, Carrollton, DeSoto, Burleson, etc., are terrible!

Beautiful day, today, 'though!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-10-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM

52,588 posts, read 47,751,190 times
In Lewisville, we lucked out, but we did have a spectacular lightning storm this morning around 4. It woke me up before my alarm clock did, but we made it through. And no hail, either.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,959,389 times
I'm in Abilene and it looks like areas north and south of us got it a lot worse. I was surprised, though, at how much damage they were showing on our local news last night. Lots of fences and some trees blown down and some roof damage.

Still, the meteorologists were going WAY overboard. I live just outside of the city, less than a quarter mile down the road from one of our TV stations and their weather cam/tower. OMG, the way they were talking, you'd think that a huge tornado was forming right by my neighborhood! "We've got a huge 'wall cloud' here right outside our studio, folks! (meaning right next to my neighborhood!)" they said. I'm thinking, oh, crap, what do I do? (I live in a manufactured home.) The wind picked up a lot of strength, it started to hail, but when I looked outside, I wasn't really seeing or feeling "tornado." Well, it wasn't a "wall cloud." They backed away from that statement a few minutes later.

I know they need to warn people but I think they need to avoid needlessly scaring folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas