Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times

Advertisements

We got the screen the other day and was a little disappointed it wasn't mammouth like I thought.. We got the projector today along with our Brother Art There and Gladiator posters.. got to take those to get framed soon... I still am trying to decide on a ornate gold famed poster and just a simple black frame for those.

We hooked up the projection and MAN let me tell you, it is AWESOME! We just watched it without the screen tonight and we zoomed the picture out larger than the screen we bought for the wall.. I am rethinking the screen. I think if we just paint part of the wall white with black surround, it would look great and also be able to get a much more bigger picture. We have a painter coming into paint the room for 175 dollars, which I don't think he would charge extra if he created a screen for us. I still have to go to the paint store to look at samples which I am doing friday. Does anyone know if Pittsburg paint is any good too btw?

DH thinks that the screen is great, size wise 96 inches but I believe the larger the area is, the better selling point it can make. Honestly too, the quality was so good... I did not see the bumps on the sheet rock. Does anyone know too if they make a special paint for the purpose to create a screen like look on the walls?

We moved in our white leather furniture and planned where the speakers are going.. we have had them from years ago which are white bose with stands we never used.. so sound wise, it will be great!

When we get the whole thing done, I will take a picture and show everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
We currently have about 100" painted on our wall for ours atm. My hubby is going to be building ours. He is on a great AV forum that gives directions on how to make a studio quality screen without it costing an arm and leg.

I'll ask him what the paint is and let ya know.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 AM

134 posts, read 1,221,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
We got the screen the other day and was a little disappointed it wasn't mammouth like I thought.. We got the projector today along with our Brother Art There and Gladiator posters.. got to take those to get framed soon... I still am trying to decide on a ornate gold famed poster and just a simple black frame for those.

We hooked up the projection and MAN let me tell you, it is AWESOME! We just watched it without the screen tonight and we zoomed the picture out larger than the screen we bought for the wall.. I am rethinking the screen. I think if we just paint part of the wall white with black surround, it would look great and also be able to get a much more bigger picture. We have a painter coming into paint the room for 175 dollars, which I don't think he would charge extra if he created a screen for us. I still have to go to the paint store to look at samples which I am doing friday. Does anyone know if Pittsburg paint is any good too btw?

DH thinks that the screen is great, size wise 96 inches but I believe the larger the area is, the better selling point it can make. Honestly too, the quality was so good... I did not see the bumps on the sheet rock. Does anyone know too if they make a special paint for the purpose to create a screen like look on the walls?

We moved in our white leather furniture and planned where the speakers are going.. we have had them from years ago which are white bose with stands we never used.. so sound wise, it will be great!

Congrats on the new projector. Interesting that you mention the screen as I too was considering a painted screen as well after seeing the prices for a good 100" screen. There is a special paint for this purpose but I am not recalling what it is at the moment. The AVS forum is a good place for info on how to do this and am sure there are lots of others around the 'net. I'm the reverse of you in that I will have my media chairs on Saturday but no projector . Can you tell us what projector you got? I haven't done enough research to know which to go after, saw two at Sam's Club but without research I didn't know if they were worthwhile.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM

57 posts, read 209,790 times
Guingirl, which forum for AV stuff? We're not doing the Media Room immediately, but we're pre-wiring for 7.1 surround & a projector... it's a matter of time!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM

96 posts, read 315,297 times
I thought I would show you our theater room
Attached Thumbnails
Were getting the theater room together-002.jpg   Were getting the theater room together-004.jpg  

Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Sounds great. Things are moving along rather well then. GOOD!!!!

As for the frames.......... go with the black. The ornate gold would take away too much not to mention the "glare" it could create.

Our screen is 112" but in a regular media room that is over 20' deep. I wouldn't want anything TOO BIG in a smaller room. The picture might not look as crisp and clear. I personally have not seen any of the special wall paint to create a screen on the wall but it might work. Get some velvet drapery and create a frame on the sides and run a valance across the top. It would still give it a framed look even though it might not be a true "screen".

Keep us posted.

Oh, texasorbust, your pics look good. I had some of our media room but it is so dark in there they did not come out that great. Think it had more to do w/ the photographer than the actual equipment

Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post

What resolution is the projector, and what source material are you going to be watching the most (DVD, Bluray, SDTV, HDTV)?

You can paint a screen on the wall if you have a flat surface... you wouldn't want to do it with textured walls. I had a 110" painted screen in my last house. I used Behr Silverscreen paint, with a few ounces of pearl paint added to it. As another poster mentioned, AVS Forums, is a great place for info... they have recipies for screen paints.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Hey all! I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 DLP and the quality was really great all the way around. We also purchased a HD dvd player that can play regular dvd's as well.
Texasorbust, wow what a great media room!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Ok, so that's a 720p projector. If you're going to watch high definition material, then you want the viewing distance to be 1.5x the screen width. So for a 96" screen, you want to sit 12' back. For a 120" screen, you want to be 15' back, etc.

If you had a 1080p projector, you could get away with 1.2x the screen width, so from 12' back you could do a 120" screen.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The AVS forum is a good place for info on how to do this and am sure there are lots of others around the 'net
Ok where is the AVS forum? I looked and didn't see those initials or anything pertaining to it. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: