Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
And yet, if you look at the neighborhoods in these "white" northern suburbs, you see a true melting pot of Anglo, Asian, Latino, Black, Middle Eastern, and probably any other ethnicity you care to name. I think you might find that your Lakewood, HP, UP, East Dallas, "old money" neighborhoods are the most homogenized in the area.

The reason for the growth of the northern suburbs is simple - the land is there and the jobs are there.
Well said. I think people are also looking for a place where they feel the schools are good and the crime rate is low. The northern suburbs generally fit the bill.

Last edited by kaykay; 04-09-2007 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM

739 posts, read 3,047,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

However, the traffic has gotten so horrible it's impractical to do them. You will have to take a hotel room in different areas to do different things.
No its not.... Yes, it sucks at certain times, but you can easily work around them. I can drive from San Diego to LA, have a day of fun, and drive back in one day. You just need to know when to beat traffic.

I'm not saying that traffic isn't bad, just not as dire as you make it out to be.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times
Yes but you can't go to several places in LA area, you will probably just have to choose one or two things to do. And I know about trying to beat the traffic - that means you will only have about 3 hours in LA unless you want to stay through the evening. If you want to have a couple of drinks, you have to get a hotel.-

Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,567,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
And yet, if you look at the neighborhoods in these "white" northern suburbs, you see a true melting pot of Anglo, Asian, Latino, Black, Middle Eastern, and probably any other ethnicity you care to name. I think you might find that your Lakewood, HP, UP, East Dallas, "old money" neighborhoods are the most homogenized in the area.

The reason for the growth of the northern suburbs is simple - the land is there and the jobs are there.
There's another thread talking about diversity, and the statistics would 100% prove you wrong. I want to say the zip code in Plano that was compared to Lakewood had 82% white and single digits for hispanics along with 4-ish % african american. Lakewood was 76% white, 20 somethign% hispanic and aabout 5% african american. HP/UP - while I didn't look them up, would definitely be more white than either. Incidentally, I think Lakewood might be a little less diverse than some other zip codes around it (75231 had something like 50% white - far below the national average of 75%).

Old 04-10-2007, 04:44 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,314,041 times
True enough, but I didn't say Plano, and I didn't specify only Lakewood.

By "northern suburbs", I would include Carrollton, Lewisville, and even Richardson and others. Regardless, I'm surprised at the Lakewood stats, although I was really referring to the "old money" (not my term) parts of north/east dallas as homogenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas