Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 AM

66 posts, read 49,023 times

Advertisements

I've been trying for some time now to find a small plot of land around the Parker/Wylie/Lucas/S. McKinney area to set up a mobile home on. But all I find are large acres of land.

I'm not finding anything for small plots or even small plots that already have something setup on it.

I don't have the money to go through a realtor for this, and the few that I have asked for advice on this were very nasty and despicable towards me.

I've been using every search term I can think of related to finding a small piece of land I can get to put a mobile home on, but nothing comes up except RV property communities, and I don't want to live in a mobile home community, I want my own little piece of land.

I've even looked for small "fixer upper" homes in this area, and found nothing. So I don't know what search terms I'm supposed to be using to find this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,277 times
Why wouldn't you have the money to use a real estate agent ? If you are going to buy the property the seller will pay the RE agent. (Yes, obviously this inflates the price if the market participants all had perfect information, but it's clear that all participants don't have perfect information)

Didn't you post about this before ? How did the searches go then?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
A small plot of land, not in a mobile home community, will be in a residential area that isn’t zoned for mobil homes. This would be really tough to find; you’d have to find someone with acreage willing to sell you a small piece of property.

Can’t imagine this search will turn up something for you. You will likely have to find a plot in a mobile home community or look on www.zillow.com and find a mobil home being sold on land already.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 03-25-2019 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,483,869 times
My suggestion would be to check with the person who is selling you the mobile home. They often know of parks or land you could buy.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:20 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
It's probably because those are big growth areas and there would be almost nothing to sell in your price range.

You need to find a more understanding agent. As a Buyer they would cost you Zero. We can set you up a search for raw land only. But Realtor.com will have what you seek if it exists.

But the problem is if nothing exist in your price range, nothing exist in your price range. If you're in a city limit's, putting a mobile home on it will be difficult if not impossible. Your best bet is to go a little farther out.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
I seriously doubt that Parker or Lucas will allow mobile homes; Wylie and McKinney have them, but they are grandfathered and you can't bring in new ones. And you are also correct that there aren't and small, fixer-upper properties there, either. You might get lucky and find one if you used a realtor.

I agree you're going to have to look further out in to the unincorporated areas. Usually the mobile home dealerships also have connections to land brokers who sell a couple of acres. Do know that putting in a water meter, septic system and getting electricity to your new land is going to cost several thousand $, and that has to be done before you move the mobile home on it.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:59 AM

68 posts, read 149,860 times
Land in the locations you mentioned is at a premium and out of your price range. If you want to live in a trailer you need to look at Hunt County.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

I agree you're going to have to look further out in to the unincorporated areas. Usually the mobile home dealerships also have connections to land brokers who sell a couple of acres. Do know that putting in a water meter, septic system and getting electricity to your new land is going to cost several thousand $, and that has to be done before you move the mobile home on it.
My niece spent about $25-30k to move a used mobile home, get it set up, install a septic, hook up to water and electricity. It was about what she paid for the mobile home.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,376,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
I've been trying for some time now to find a small plot of land around the Parker/Wylie/Lucas/S. McKinney area to set up a mobile home on. But all I find are large acres of land.
I'm not finding anything for small plots or even small plots that already have something setup on it.
I don't have the money to go through a realtor for this, and the few that I have asked for advice on this were very nasty and despicable towards me.
I've been using every search term I can think of related to finding a small piece of land I can get to put a mobile home on, but nothing comes up except RV property communities, and I don't want to live in a mobile home community, I want my own little piece of land.
I've even looked for small "fixer upper" homes in this area, and found nothing. So I don't know what search terms I'm supposed to be using to find this stuff.

you're about 20 years TOO LATE for above area!

you're gonna have to look north of 380 (unincorporated) to find anything like this,
and as mentioned, septic/power/water is gonna cost you $30k-40k cash up front, IF it is even available.
You'll probably have to settle for something already existing INSIDE of any incorporated area near the metroplex.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 PM

3,066 posts, read 8,404,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
My suggestion would be to check with the person who is selling you the mobile home. They often know of parks or land you could buy.

^^^^^ This.

Also if you are trying to buy from a private owner you can check with manufactured home sales places who may be able to provide lot locations.

Until you get into unincorporated areas you will find it harder to find a plot for a manufactured home. Even the smaller towns are prohibiting them from being placed in City limits and/or Extraterritorial Jurisdictions (ETJ). Many are planning for growth and are trying to prohibit them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: