Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:53 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thank you! I get tired of hearing it too.

This isn't a cheap version of Long Island. This is Texas. It's very different.

As for Cantonese speakers here, there aren't many. I can count the ones I've met in my lifetime in Dallas on one hand.
I suspect you have met some and not even known.

There are plenty. Trust me (My wife is one of them). Obviously not as prevalent as Mandarin here, but still present in decent numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Welcome to Texas. It's not Chinatown or Chinatown Brooklyn, but you should be able to find most of what you need in Plano area. Probably less Cantonese speaking population, but you will find some.
We have Mandarin Saturday school here....never heard about Cantonese Saturday school, but if there isn't one, start one.
Plenty of grocery stores. Ranch 99 might serve you well....maybe even larger than what you are used to. HMart is Korean based, but has pan asian and probably willing to get you what you want if they don't have it. Probably larger than any Asian grocery in Brooklyn.
Great public schools, very international probably like Brooklyn in that regards.
Cost of Living should be significantly less....and you get a house with a yard, if that's what you want.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:01 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I hate to say this, but you are in for a disappointment.

Sounds like the most important concern to you is chinese community. Plano has some Chinese folks, but it's not going to be anywhere close to NYC. You'll be lucky to find 2 or 3 asian food stores in Plano, whereas some enclaves in NYC easily have 30.
I agree, and was thinking the same thing as I read her post and each paragraph delved more and more into how badly she wanted her and her family to be immersed in Chinese culture and language (specifically Cantonese). As far as Asians go in Plano and in DFW in general, INDIANS/Southeast Asians are the group who have things on lock and are so surrounded by their own cultural amenities, languages, etc to the point where living in many parts of DFW probably isn't too much different from living back home. And even when it comes to East Asians in DFW, most of the business and amenities are mostly Korean by far, and then probably Vietnamese second.

Edit: HOUSTON has a way bigger, way better Chinese community than DFW does. Houston even has TWO Chinatowns. That's about as close to the NYC Chinese experience and setup as you're going to get in Texas.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-01-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I suspect you have met some and not even known.

There are plenty. Trust me (My wife is one of them). Obviously not as prevalent as Mandarin here, but still present in decent numbers.
I don't go out looking for Cantonese speakers but I live in Richardson and I work in IT, so I've met a lot of Chinese people. I can tell the difference between spoken Mandarin and spoken Cantonese, as in I can identify one vs the other though I can't understand either one. I rarely hear the latter.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:27 PM

213 posts, read 239,336 times
Moved to Frisco from NY. You absolutely need to visit DFW. Don't go by what's on the internet. You'll want a bigger lot. We don't care about what we don't know. So please visit. Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney are all great areas with diverse communities. Schools are excellent here so no need for private schooling.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I think you’ll like the DFW area. But, it can be quite humid in the summer. I noticed there is a Chinese School in Plano. Registration

Old 04-01-2019, 03:38 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think you’ll like the DFW area. But, it can be quite humid in the summer. I noticed there is a Chinese School in Plano. Registration
That is a Mandarin speaking school I believe. There are other schools, including one that I know of (Merit Chinese: Merit Chinese School) that is Cantonese speaking.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM

161 posts, read 240,641 times
There are several Chinese schools in Plano. One of the parents at my daughters’ west Plano elementary school is a teacher at the Merit Chinese school in Plano, which teaches both Cantonese and Mandarin. Merit Chinese School - ????????

Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
So False!! Dallas Ft. Worth while not on the level of NYC and San Fran has a very very large asian population. I know of at least 5 china towns in the area. (Carrolton, Dallas off 35, East Plano, Richardson, and Irving). The OP can definitely find much of what that are accustomed to.
Please do not conflate Koreans with Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas