Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM

29 posts, read 98,667 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I live in Michigan, we both own handguns, and he has his CPL (Concealed Pistol License - he's also a police reserve). Since it varies so much from state to state, can anyone tell me how to go about switching over to Texas, and what we need to do to obtain our CPL's there? We're planning to move to Dallas within a couple of months. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm - broken link)

You do not need to register your handguns.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm - broken link)

You do not need to register your handguns.
That's unbelievable! The hoops we have to jump through here in Michigan are ridiculous. Thanks for your post!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,702 times
In Texas you can have a loaded pistol concealed in your vehicle without a permit.

You can also carry a loaded rifle in plain sight in the back seat.

The CCW permit process is very painless and consists of an 8-hour class and some paperwork.

Almost all areas are open to CCW carriers.

If your husband has the equivalent of a TCLOSE certification, he should be able to get on as a Reserve Police Officer or Reserver Sherrif's deputy. Collin County has a great program for Reserve Deputies. If he does, then LEOSA will apply to him.

A great forum:

TexasCHLforum.com

Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I am sitting at work, handgun in pocket & one in the car. I have a concealed handgun permit wich takes 1 8-10 hour course and about 60 days to get the DPS back ground check.

TX is a very gun friendly state.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 AM

415 posts, read 1,717,977 times
Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You need to be a resident for 6 months before applying for your CHL. Test with a semi-automatic if you have one, since it allows you to carry both semi and revolver. If you test with revolver, you're only allowed to carry revolver.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post

You need to be a resident for 6 months before applying for your CHL.
This is not true. Per GC 411.173, one who moves to Texas with intent to establish residency and meets all the eligibility requirements spelled out by GC 411.172 may apply for a CHL immediately upon moving to Texas. I took my class three days after getting here and received my CHL roughly two months later.

Quote:
Test with a semi-automatic if you have one, since it allows you to carry both semi and revolver. If you test with revolver, you're only allowed to carry revolver.
This is true.

Quote:
Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. For those with the emotional and physical strength to carry a gun and use lawfully use it to protect ones life, carrying a concealed firearm is a very good idea.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM

415 posts, read 1,717,977 times
Awesome, I didn't know that had changed. I already had my CHL, but I thought we came up against that when my fiance moved here. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to have to wait...

My other comment means exactly what it says. There are a lot of things that are technically legal, but that doesn't give you a free pass. It's also important to note that many things people claim are 'legal' are actually a defense to prosecution. That means your butt may get hauled off to jail anyway and you just don't get the 'convict' stamp after spending tens of thousands in legal fees. BIG difference between "Thanks, Ma'am, have a nice day" and "Not Guilty"...

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM

I think that most people who obey the laws in obtaining a weapon are law-abiding citizens anyway. Of course there's always the one-off situation, but for the most part, people who go the legal route have a strong respect for their weapon and the law.

FYI, I have a semi, never fired a revolver in my life.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Awesome, I didn't know that had changed. I already had my CHL, but I thought we came up against that when my fiance moved here. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to have to wait...

My other comment means exactly what it says. There are a lot of things that are technically legal, but that doesn't give you a free pass. It's also important to note that many things people claim are 'legal' are actually a defense to prosecution. That means your butt may get hauled off to jail anyway and you just don't get the 'convict' stamp after spending tens of thousands in legal fees. BIG difference between "Thanks, Ma'am, have a nice day" and "Not Guilty"...
As long as people take the time to understand where and when Texas law allows a CHL holder to display their firearm in a threatening situation or fire it in a potentially deadly one they will be fine. Common sense would dictate that even with a CHL you don't get to play Dirty Harry and just whip out your firearm whenever you want. Then again, common sense is not always common...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas