Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 AM

101 posts, read 247,191 times

Advertisements

Is there a Chinatown in or near Dallas since there is a huge Asian population in Richardson? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post
Is there a Chinatown in or near Dallas since there is a huge Asian population in Richardson? Thanks.
I thought we discussed this before. There are MANY areas in the greater Dallas metroplex that have a concentration of Asian shops, restaurants, stores, etc. Richardson has some along Greenville Ave and Central Expwy between Spring Valley and Belt Line. Carrollton has some. Arlington has some. Irving does too. As does Plano.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
There's no "Chinatown" in Dallas, but there is in Richardson and supposedly in Plano as well. I do not remember how to get to the one in Richardson as it was back in 1999 when I went.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:37 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,429,492 times
There is a thread that focuses on this subject. Perhaps the search may help you find it.

While we are on the subject of Asian population....Richardson has some of the best Pho spots I've seen.....and I'm coming from San Diego....which is no stranger to good Asian food.

Yours truly,

The Pho addict

Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,765 times
Dallas has an Asian Trade District... intersection of Royal Lane and Harry Hines in northwest Dallas.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Good evening everyone.

Here's the Asian districts that I have identified in the DFW Metroplex:

Chinese:
1) Legacy and Central Expressway: On the west side.
Features a small indoor mall plus a large supersized Chinese grocery store called the Asian World Market. The indoor mall includes a bakery, chinese cosmetics store, japanese crepes place, video store, trinkets, etc. The mall clearly has a Chinese slant to it.

2) Richardson (Greenville/Main/Beltline Exit) This is the largest Chinese district by far. It features 5 different strip malls of various sizes in an L-shaped distribution starting from Polk and Central Expressway going East towards Greenville, then proceeding north on Greenville Ave.
It features a large Asian Grocer and also an Indian grocer as well.
There are multiple bakeries in the area, though my favorite is Garden bakery.
For shaved ice, May's icecream takes honors.
Dumplings; Zheng Ji
Taiwanese: Gen Rou Kou
Dim Sum: Maxim and Kirin Court
There are many more restaurants and stores to talk about.

3) Mei Hua Strip: This is at Park and Coit on the NOrtheast corner:
Features Mei Hua Supermarket
Also a CHinese Hot Pot restaurant.
2 Chinese BBQ restaurants,
Plus an Asian food court.
The Emma bakery is very nice for dried pork buns.

4) Garland Walnut St. District:
This is a 2 mile long stretch of Chinese, Vietnamese strip malls. The Hong Kong Supermarket is by far the nicest, though there are several nice Vietnamese grocery stores too that feature great BBQ. This is probably the largest collection of Vietnamese cruisine in the metroplex.
Recommend the Le Me Vietnanmese sub shop.

Smaller Chinese/Vietnamese strips:
1) Arlington, TX off 360
2) Carrolton, TX on Josey and G Bush Turnpike going north on Josey.
3) Irving, TX Little Saigon Strip mall featuring L and N Seafood market.

Korean Strips:
1) Korean Town: Located at I-35 and Royal Lane THis is the largest Korean neighborhood. It features several Korean bakeries, the chain Komart (one of two I know of in the metroplex)

2) Irving: South on Beltline.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
To add on to this:

There is a growing Korean neighborhood featuring the national chain Super H mart at Old Denton Tap Rd. and George Bush Turnpike.

It features the California chain: Yogurtland, which is similar to Pink Berry. It features flavors such as Taro, several fruits, and traditional tastes such as chocolate. You can put as many toppings as you desire ranging from red bean to mochi cubes to fresh strawberries. H mart is roughly the size of a Walmart and draws Asians (not just Koreans) from all over the DFW area. IT also features a small indoor mall as well as several shops outside including Korean Style fried chicken.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM

91 posts, read 329,663 times
The area in Richardson is about as close as you're going to get. The areas are more spread out & widely distributed here, just like everything else.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Dallas doesn't have an "official" Chinatown like Houston does, but it does have a Korean Town of sorts, more like a bunch of warehouses & karaoke bars actually.

The Asian areas in D/FW are VERY spread out from Garland to Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Irving, Grand Prairie, Arlington, & Haltom City (Fort Worth)

There are also a couple or so Filipino stores in Mesquite & Richardson.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:29 AM

307 posts, read 1,181,220 times
Arlington's Pioneer Pkwy, east of Cooper has many asian shops. It's been like that for probably a good 20 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas