Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:12 AM

964 posts, read 876,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol.
Lived in LA and the Bay Area. What you people call terrible traffic here at 5PM is 11PM at night traffic there.

When I left Legacy West at 4PM I had no issue getting home in 35 minutes or so. When I left at 6:15PM I had no issues also getting home in around 40 minutes.

As I aside a very short rush hour window compared to LA and the Bay Area where the window is 4 hours long of rush hour traffic from 3PM to 7PM.

I do always love the traffic hyperbole from the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Unless you are driving between 1-5 AM, it’s a terrible commute and offers nothing special enough to justify it.
Except I left at 6:45AM everyday and that commute took 30 minutes or so.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Unless you are driving between 1-5 AM, it’s a terrible commute and offers nothing special enough to justify it.
Of course, any other area in the country OR for that matter in the world doesn't offer anything special for YOU other than Plano because your world begins and ends with Plano. You have rentals there so you try hard on each and every post. Which is not needed as especially West Plano has obvious benefits which is why corporations are moving and nearby areas are booming along with Plano. Don't worry you will have good rental income in the foreseeable future even without badmouthing other places.

There is something called prestige associated with living in some places. Southlake is one such place in DFW along with HP/UP. Similarly there are places like that all over the country and the world. There IS a difference in living between Southlake and Plano. You do not need to drill down to east or central or west or to a zip code or neighborhood to get that prestige. You don't see an apartment complex or a strip mall outside of your million dollar plus home/neighborhood. For people those who cannot afford to live in Southlake, it's sour grapes and pass on comments to satisfy themselves for not able to live there. And for those who can afford they will have other reasons and chose not to live.

Bottom line, everyone will have their own preferences/tolerance levels to commute, overall affluence of the area, diversity etc. You and few other people on this board has to understand that for those who can afford and want to have the affluent surroundings overall (not few pockets) there is Southlake, HP/UP and for those who want to be closer to Plano/West Plano/Richardson, but still want to get better, new house, little less expensive and without compromising on overall quality of life, schools or commute and want a decent quiet small town feel, there is Allen. And similarly many other choices near by. So, Grow UP and stop negative publicity.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 04-15-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Lived in LA and the Bay Area. What you people call terrible traffic here at 5PM is 11PM at night traffic there.

When I left Legacy West at 4PM I had no issue getting home in 35 minutes or so. When I left at 6:15PM I had no issues also getting home in around 40 minutes.

As I aside a very short rush hour window compared to LA and the Bay Area where the window is 4 hours long of rush hour traffic from 3PM to 7PM.

I do always love the traffic hyperbole from the same people.

Speaking of hyperbole..

I commented on your statement that the rush hour here is very short, not on your particular commute.
Morning it is about 7-10 (or close) and evening 3:30-7(7:30) or so, this is not short. And in terms of anecdotal evidence, how about that:
This morning, DNT at Frankford to LBJ (5 miles) - 19-22 min (sign); the larger section, DNT at Parker to Wycliff (16 miles) - close to 40 min.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Of course, any other area in the country OR for that matter in the world doesn't offer anything special for YOU other than Plano because your world begins and ends with Plano. You have rentals there so you try hard on each and every post. Which is not needed as especially West Plano has obvious benefits which is why corporations are moving and nearby areas are booming along with Plano. Don't worry you will have good rental income in the foreseeable future even without badmouthing other places.

There is something called prestige associated with living in some places. Southlake is one such place in DFW along with HP/UP. Similarly there are places like that all over the country and the world. There IS a difference in living between Southlake and Plano. You do not need to drill down to east or central or west or to a zip code or neighborhood to get that prestige. You don't see an apartment complex or a strip mall outside of your million dollar plus home/neighborhood. For people those who cannot afford to live in Southlake, it's sour grapes and pass on comments to satisfy themselves for not able to live there. And for those who can afford they will have other reasons and chose not to live.

Bottom line, everyone will have their own preferences/tolerance levels to commute, overall affluence of the area, diversity etc. You and few other people on this board has to understand that for those who can afford and want to have the affluent surroundings overall (not few pockets) there is Southlake, HP/UP and for those who want to be closer to Plano/West Plano/Richardson, but still want to get better, new house, little less expensive and without compromising on overall quality of life, schools or commute and want a decent quiet small town feel, there is Allen. And similarly many other choices near by. So, Grow UP and stop negative publicity.
+1 - sick of the poster you mentioned blindly replying “west Plano” to everything! We get it, West Plano is a desirable place to live for many & will continue to be. Southlake has totally different zoning than Plano and the entire city’s population is smaller than the 75093 zip code alone.

I find it funny when people want to add their 2 cents saying it’s not worth it or is a terrible commute when they haven’t ever lived there and done the commute. I deal with it daily and again, it’s not ideal, but it’s 45-50 min max during peak times. It’s no worse than someone commuting from Legacy to the Park Cities (which is constantly boosted on here by certain posters as very doable), yet someone mentions a commute to Southlake and all of a sudden it’s the worst thing ever and not worth it. I would absolutely like a shorter commute, but the benefits of this area outweigh the headache of a commute.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
I do Irving to Mckinney, so about 45 min if I take the tollway. It's longer than I want, isn't a great commute, but I do it because it makes the most sense for my social life and who I want as roommates. It is what it is. I can tolerate it, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

Could you make a similar 45 min commute? Sure, but why? There are plenty of nice areas within your budget in excellent schools much closer. If I were you I would look much closer since coming in fresh you have that option.

There are lots of great school districts around here much closer than Southlake, and the Frisco schools are well known for being small.

Unless you simply MUST live in Southlake for some reason, I wouldn't consider it. Just because you can tolerate a 45 min commute, doesn't mean you won't absolutely LOVE a 15 min one, and it will make it much easier to be involved in your kid's lives as you will literally have an extra hour per day.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I do Irving to Mckinney, so about 45 min if I take the tollway. It's longer than I want, isn't a great commute, but I do it because it makes the most sense for my social life and who I want as roommates. It is what it is. I can tolerate it, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

Could you make a similar 45 min commute? Sure, but why? There are plenty of nice areas within your budget in excellent schools much closer. If I were you I would look much closer since coming in fresh you have that option.

There are lots of great school districts around here much closer than Southlake, and the Frisco schools are well known for being small.

Unless you simply MUST live in Southlake for some reason, I wouldn't consider it. Just because you can tolerate a 45 min commute, doesn't mean you won't absolutely LOVE a 15 min one, and it will make it much easier to be involved in your kid's lives as you will literally have an extra hour per day.
Think you do know that Southlake is NOT Plano or Frisco or something else right? Your commute is reduced, but what about other things that comes along?

My point is - if someone really wants to help newcomers on this board, just give the plain facts on various things and on ALL options available and what each has to offer. Stop there and LET the OP decide on what they want instead you taking a decision by putting your feet in their shoes or ridiculing all other choices and preferences or badmouthing other areas just because you don't like it.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Speaking of hyperbole..

I commented on your statement that the rush hour here is very short, not on your particular commute.
Morning it is about 7-10 (or close) and evening 3:30-7(7:30) or so, this is not short. And in terms of anecdotal evidence, how about that:
This morning, DNT at Frankford to LBJ (5 miles) - 19-22 min (sign); the larger section, DNT at Parker to Wycliff (16 miles) - close to 40 min.
I left Southlake today at 6:45am and would have arrived at UTSW at 7:08. I did arrive at the crescent hotel at 7:13.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
There is also a MAJOR difference in traffic in leaving before 7. If someone wants to make that their lifestyle, so be it, but anyone who needs to do an elementary school dropoff, etc. is going to face a much different traffic situation.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
Think you do know that Southlake is NOT Plano or Frisco or something else right?
Eh. I've been to Southlake, Frisco, Allen, Plano, Prosper, Parker, Richardson, and lots of other DFW suburbs, and I've lived in Allen, MCKinney, Plano, Richardson, Dallas, and Irving. They are all way more alike than they are different. OP should live close to the stuff they like to do the most. For most of us, that is work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: