Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 44,763 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a job transfer from Westchester County, NY to Dallas area. Office location is in Legacy West part of Plano. Are we out of our minds to consider Southlake?

We come from a school district that is very strong (and very small by TX standards) and I'm trying to find places that appear comparable. I have read good thinks about West Plano and Frisco but I hesitate with I think about moving my kids to a school 3x the size. Home prices in Southlake are within out budget, so it's really a matter of schools and commute. We're looking for under an hour, but closer to 45 minutes or so.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Yes, you are out of your mind for considering that commute. It's very heavy traffic on toll roads the whole way, and if there is an accident on the toll road, there is really no good alternative route. You'd be lucky to get there in 45 minutes each day.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgake View Post
We are contemplating a job transfer from Westchester County, NY to Dallas area. Office location is in Legacy West part of Plano. Are we out of our minds to consider Southlake?

We come from a school district that is very strong (and very small by TX standards) and I'm trying to find places that appear comparable. I have read good thinks about West Plano and Frisco but I hesitate with I think about moving my kids to a school 3x the size. Home prices in Southlake are within out budget, so it's really a matter of schools and commute. We're looking for under an hour, but closer to 45 minutes or so.

Thank you!!
if you are commuting to Legacy West and would want smaller, but stronger schools I would probably look in Prosper perhaps.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

Thank you!!
You are not out of your mind to ask and/or consider that commute. You'd be out of your mind to actually try to make that commute work long term assuming regular working hours. People do it but the all need brain scans or mental evals. IMO.

There are a number of strong to excellent public school choices that would be half the commute time or less.
Others would know drive times better than me but check out: Prosper, Frisco, Plano as noted and I'm sure there are others. Allen might be worth a look too but the high school is MASSIVE. It might be possible to find an area on the SW side of McKinney that might work.

Keep in mind school districts in TX do not match city limits.

Good luck and if you make the move welcome to Texas.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 AM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
I'm confused by whether you are more concerned with school reputation or size. Size-wise, some of the high schools in Frisco that are 9-12th grade have fewer students than Southlake Carroll's enrollment of just 11th and 12th graders. Plano West does have massive enrollment, but Carroll's enrollment isn't all that different and both districts are highly ranked. Personally, I would rather carve out my eyes with a spoon than do the commute from Southlake to Legacy West on a daily basis. I also don't see what Southlake schools would offer that Plano or Frisco schools don't that would make that murderous commute worth it.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
Quote:

Thank you!!
honestly, there's not going to be an area that's really comparable to Westchester (one of my best friends is from Katonah!). If you want that sort of school environment, I would strongly consider privates if you move here.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

Thank you!!
I mean, it’s an easier commute than Westchester into Manhattan, but you don’t necessarily need to sign up for that kind of commute here to get great schools.

Highland Park / University Park is a straight shot up the tollroad to Legacy West and are the top public schools in Texas in a Westchester Co kind of atmosphere (minus the lovely winding country homes and estates, of course). It’s about 30 minutes AM commute to Legacy & 45-60 minutes PM.

Or a little closer to your office with smaller schools is Lovejoy ISD (serving parts of Fairview, Allen, & Lucas). Bigger lots, smaller schools. Probably 30 min AM, 30-40 PM drive times. More country-ish setting.

Or just embrace the fact that everything’s bigger here and jump into Frisco, Plano, McKinney or Prosper schools. Take note that the farther east / west you get of the Dallas North Tollroad, if you are not able to get easy highway access to 121 or Bush, it can be a VERY long stop & go commute due to all the school zones. Friends live in Little Elm/Frisco border and it takes them 45 minutes to get to their office at The Star (also in Frisco and on the same side of the tollroad) some mornings.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:05 PM

100 posts, read 135,152 times
we were thinking of doing that 2 years ago but we ended up in Frisco because of the drive from Southlake to Legacy West. And we are happy with the decision.

But I know a couple senior executive at my Company do the drive because they want to put their kids in Southlake schools. They are happy with their decisions.

So it is just really a matter of your preference.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
honestly, there's not going to be an area that's really comparable to Westchester (one of my best friends is from Katonah!). If you want that sort of school environment, I would strongly consider privates if you move here.
^^^ this. We moved from New Jersey out here and the schools are just massive. We chose Allen, which only has one high school, and is way too big. Other towns are not comparable size wise to Allen. However, if you want something small and highly rated, check out the private schools.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM

158 posts, read 181,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Take note that the farther east / west you get of the Dallas North Tollroad, if you are not able to get easy highway access to 121 or Bush, it can be a VERY long stop & go commute due to all the school zones. Friends live in Little Elm/Frisco border and it takes them 45 minutes to get to their office at The Star (also in Frisco and on the same side of the tollroad) some mornings.
From what I've heard, access to 121 especially in Central/East Frisco is pretty crowded in the rush hours due to school zones on every major North-South road slowing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: