U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM

50 posts, read 43,435 times

Advertisements

So I did a day trip in Dallas /forth area, I got $20 charge from tolls for my rental car. What I did was just from DFW airport and pass fort worth to west and come back the second day.
That is a bit high than my expectation.
A guy in my flight said when he drove in Dallas, he always set up " avoid toll" mode.
so question, if I do that when I live in Dallas, would that be significantly inconvenient for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM

725 posts, read 306,385 times
Your rental car company charged you a “convenience fee” that is probably more than 50% of that charge.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 AM

1,332 posts, read 745,709 times
Right, rental company up charges all your toll cost. Its probably half of that if it was your own toll tag.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:29 PM

206 posts, read 100,704 times
I live in northeast Dallas and work in Oak Lawn. I rarely ever use a local toll road. My toll tag mostly just gets used for airport parking. It depends on where you live and where you go.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:15 PM

19 posts, read 9,981 times
All of the rental car companies charge a huge fee to use the toll tag feature. Last time I used Avis it was almost $20 for their fee alone on only $2 tolls. However, all toll roads in DFW are billed via toll tag or via mail (there are no lanes to stop and pay a machine or person). My guess is the rental car company would still charge you a huge admin fee weeks later for receiving a paper bill.

If you live in DFW, toll road usage really depends on your work commute. if your commute requires a toll road you will rack up tolls all the time in the thousands of dollars annually.

In my opinion, DFW is too big to avoid the toll roads altogether. (but you can minimize usage). If you use the toll roads without a toll tag you pay a higher price because of the administrative fee of someone having to mail you a bill to the registered address of the vehicle. If you live in DFW you should get a toll tag to get the reduced price regardless of whether you use them everyday or once a month.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,084,032 times
Yeah, I worked for a Rental Company when I was right out of college and you most certainly are paying about half to 75% of that in fees.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM

50 posts, read 43,435 times
I did look at the toll receipt they have on the website "htallc".

It appears there is only $4 service charge, all the rest are the tolls.
so first day I was charged $7 from "North Texas Tollway Authority", when I was leaving airport;
the second day I was charged about $8 from "Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority" when I was returning to airport, some of that was because I drove in fast lane for a few miles.

So are these tolls also built with rental car companies's charge?

Old 04-11-2019, 04:08 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,084,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhongl View Post
I did look at the toll receipt they have on the website "htallc".

It appears there is only $4 service charge, all the rest are the tolls.
so first day I was charged $7 from "North Texas Tollway Authority", when I was leaving airport;
the second day I was charged about $8 from "Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority" when I was returning to airport, some of that was because I drove in fast lane for a few miles.

So are these tolls also built with rental car companies's charge?
If I were you I would call your rental company for the breakdown as they will be able to give you more details than any of us, but yeah, they usually are built in. Cameron County is in South Texas, so I would guess you drove tolls somewhere besides north Texas on that one. If not, talk to your rental company.

Usually, the service charge is for every day you use tolls.

If you have a toll pass you can always just have them temporarily apply it to the rental car, but that is such a pain in the ass that I don't think it's worth it unless you are renting for a while.

It depends how much you value your time, but 20 bucks aren't insane, especially if you used tolls at a couple different points driving to south Texas. I would just let it go.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 PM

206 posts, read 100,704 times
It might be clear by now, but to reiterate - the rental company adds $4 each day you incur tolls. They’re not likely to be marking up individual tolls.

If you live north of I-635, it seems like trying to avoid the tolls would be a significant inconvenience.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 874,808 times
Just a note that the fast lanes have variable pricing .... I think the goal is to keep them moving at something like 55 and above. So as it gets crowed the prices go up. Free flowing traffic everywhere and they go down. I think it is funny to see people using the "fast" lane in the middle of the day. I'm going just about as fast in the free lane when I see them paying $3-$4-$8 for using the express lane. One friend told me she had $700 monthly toll bill. That's crazy to me. She must always be in the express lanes. I think chances are though if you like to drive fast it could save you some money on tickets. I rarely see cops working the express lane. I've seen it but rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas