Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 PM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk84 View Post
Looking at moving closer to metroplex and are wanting to be in the Las Colinas area. I have plenty of friends in that area, so I've gotten their opinion about their neighborhoods like Windsor Ridge, Parkside, Hackberry Creek, Fox Glen, Lakes, etc. However I was wondering if anyone has insight about Cottonwood Valley. We like the location of it being around 114, 161, 183, however while we went to a few open houses we did notice how bad the roads inside the neighborhood were. Also the back side of Cottonwood Valley was bordered by an apartment complex, and just seems run down around Northgate and Story.
I would be scared to send my kids to those schools & the private schools that actually educate aren’t convenient to that area (except Cistercian), so if you have kids, there are ample alternate options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I’ve always heard that Las Colinas ends at Northgate. Cottonwood Valley is barely north of Northgate, which puts it at the southern edge of Las Colinas. I’m not “jealous” at all; Las Colinas is a great area.

Central and South Irving are not upscale areas at all, and could definitely be considered “run down.” It’s heavily Hispanic, and Irving ISD schools in that area are not great. I work in south Irving, and I’m careful leaving work after dark.
No, actually Las Colinas STARTS at Northgate. Cottonwood Valley is one of the original exclusive LC gated communities. It is the gateway to LC.

There is nothing in the world wrong with Central Irving unless a person is a total white bread suburban lover. I love places with history and character — pretty impossible to find in any DFW burb. Irving is an inner circle, old suburb of Dallas. There are tons of lovely Irving neighborhoods in Central Irving. South Irving tends to have a pretty high Hispanic demographic but has many neat, well-kept neighborhoods. The City of Irving has worked very hard to re-energize the southern section with new streets, pocket parks and strict code enforcement. It gets better all the time. North Irving tends to have a pretty high Asian Indian demographic. Zip code 75038 (where CWV is) is one of the most diverse zip codes in the USA; and I find that to be highly desirable.

Irving is an extremely diverse city served by 3 different school districts and also has the highest performing Charter school in the DFW metro area. The Irving school district is not a high performing school district and those desiring the use of public schools should not live in Cottonwood Valley.

I suggest anyone leaving work after dark be highly aware of surroundings, wherever you are. I was a crime victim in Southlake!

Full disclosure: I own 4 rental properties in Irving; 2 in South and 2 in Central Irving. In all 10 years I’ve owned them, never a crime. They are beautifully maintained and never have any trouble leasing them to credit worthy, college degreed applicants.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 04-21-2019 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
None of the other posters live in Las Colinas. Its a great location! All the houses I knowof in Cottonwood built before 2000 have amazing pier and beam foundations. We moved from our house in Cottonwood Valley to a condo in the Highland Park area because we wanted a lock and leave place in order to reside in the DFW only part time. Our house was almost 5000 sq ft. It was a gorgeous place and, like many of the homes, updated with luxury finishes. We felt safe in Cottonwood Valley and loved the Las Colinas location. It is absolutely ridiculous to label Cottonwood as being on the “south end of LC and the further south you go the worse it is.” Never heard such an uninformed comment about Cottonwood. Its total bull and pure jealousy. We had/there are some very high profile, international celebs who reside there.
Yeah Cottonwood Valley is awesome, it's just down the street from where I live. The location is unbeatable. 15 min from both airports and under 35 min from Both Downtown Dallas and Fort Worth.

Also, my favourite "Dive" is across from the 4 seasons. "The Spirit Grille"

I knew a girl in college whose family had a home there just a few doors down from Romo. It's one of the nicest homes I've been in.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM

206 posts, read 170,815 times
One of these posts says this:

Central and South Irving are not upscale areas at all, and could definitely be considered “run down.” It’s heavily Hispanic...

People still say things like this in 2019.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM

54 posts, read 45,958 times
As someone looking to potentially move to South or Central Irving, I appreciate the feedback from the past few posters. Off topic, but does anyone here have experience with sending their kids to Irving ISD? Specifically, I was wondering if they were pretty lenient on allowing in-district transfers.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDub1986 View Post
As someone looking to potentially move to South or Central Irving, I appreciate the feedback from the past few posters. Off topic, but does anyone here have experience with sending their kids to Irving ISD? Specifically, I was wondering if they were pretty lenient on allowing in-district transfers.

I don’t believe schools in Irving are lenient as far as in-district transfers. However, there is a magnet school for high school. I know several families who live happily in Central and South Irving. Gather school ratings from wherever you can! Check out both Uplift charter schools, too.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:09 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
I've been in plenty of pier and beam houses in CWV that have foundation issues and severe ones. Some people thought that is the solution, but it not 100% guarantee. Most of these were older homes. Same with neighborhoods all around it. Probably better chance of success in that area with P&B vs slab though.

Schools are important for resale...and appreciation.
Probably the good news for right now is Las Colinas has seen a recent boom of corporate activity and that will flow over to demand for housing....although I see a lot of the execs fly in and out every week and don't live in the area. Some probably do, some don't.

The celebrities mentioned have all moved on....Dr. Phil to CA, although I would never want to live near him, even in the same neighborhood. He's worse in person than on TV. Romo is probably a nice guy, never met him. Pretty much as soon as he got married, moved out to North Dallas. Fly Jock still has a house in CWV, but I think lives in Florida most of the year. Not sure if the FrackMaster has lost his home there or not, but recently lived in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas