Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM

104 posts, read 90,273 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are also considering a home in this area, I can't seem to find much. It is pretty much right off Inwood and DNT close to Inwood Tavern in a transitional neighborhood. Outside of being relatively close to the airport and needing to check out issues with sound, any thoughts on safety?

After much research, it's hard to tell. The neighborhood *seems* relatively safe in the day, and the proximity to Highland Park/Bluffview seems like it will clean up eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Specific address:
Kelton Dr, Dallas, TX 75209
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I guess I should say Inwood and Lovers to be more specific on the intersection.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,630 times
That’s not a bad area. There’s already gentrification active on that side of Inwood. Also, the street you mention is closer to Lovers, which I think is a bit better than being closer to University. The area definitely transitions as you go further West & you will see some characters walking around, but I’d consider that street safe as long as you take normal precautions you’d take in any urban area.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,775,670 times
“Seems like it will clean up eventually” is probably accurate. Whether the current price levels are worth it for an area that will *probably* clean up eventually is a question I can’t answer for you. I would probably pay those prices to be that close to both my job in Uptown and the private school where my wife works, but I don’t like the style of most of the new construction they’re building right there.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
That’s not a bad area. There’s already gentrification active on that side of Inwood. Also, the street you mention is closer to Lovers, which I think is a bit better than being closer to University. The area definitely transitions as you go further West & you will see some characters walking around, but I’d consider that street safe as long as you take normal precautions you’d take in any urban area.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I def. noticed some characters.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
“Seems like it will clean up eventually” is probably accurate. Whether the current price levels are worth it for an area that will *probably* clean up eventually is a question I can’t answer for you. I would probably pay those prices to be that close to both my job in Uptown and the private school where my wife works, but I don’t like the style of most of the new construction they’re building right there.
Yeah, I think the neighborhood will take 5-10 years. There is already lots of new construction there, and we actually do like the super modern style. I can def. see it's not for everyone.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:11 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,483,869 times
Safe is a relative word....so not sure you are really going to get a sense of what you want to hear on these forums. What is safe to a 300lb linebacker police officer, might not be safe to a 98lb 98 year old damsel in distress.

You will see violent crime in the best areas....but often this is misleading.....I'm thinking recently of the HP kid who was murdered in the parking garage of a high end shopping center....there was an outpouring of support for this sweet kind kid. Only thing was that it was a drug deal gone bad. Moral to the story is ....you mess with dangerous people, hang out with dangerous people, and you might get to be in dangerous situations. Same with registered sex offenders....something like 90% of the offenses are between family members and family friends....not some random break in your house, hit you over the head and rape you kind of offenses. Same with kidnappings. It's dad not returning the shared custody children from weekend visitation, or crazy boyfriend taking control of girlfriend...not a random snatching of a child by stranger danger.

Seems like all the younger generation wants to live "on the Katy Trail" where there is a lot of activity...running, biking, jogging, walking...but it's not always the safest place to walk....even though it seems like there are people everywhere. Seems like every so often someone gets the idea this is a great place to steal iphones....or whatever they can get.

My thoughts are the areas you're looking in are as safe as any in the big city. Be careful who you associate with, who your family members are, don't invite trouble into your life....and have good situational awareness and you'll be fine.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfolk89 View Post
Hi all!

We are also considering a home in this area, I can't seem to find much. It is pretty much right off Inwood and DNT close to Inwood Tavern in a transitional neighborhood. Outside of being relatively close to the airport and needing to check out issues with sound, any thoughts on safety?

After much research, it's hard to tell. The neighborhood *seems* relatively safe in the day, and the proximity to Highland Park/Bluffview seems like it will clean up eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Specific address:
Kelton Dr, Dallas, TX 75209
Traditionally, it has been just about the most dangerous part of Dallas North of 30. It's the location of the only mugging I've ever heard of in Dallas.

I know a guy who's one of those trying to gentrify it, and it's happening slowly, I guess, but there's no way I would live there.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Traditionally, it has been just about the most dangerous part of Dallas North of 30. It's the location of the only mugging I've ever heard of in Dallas.
I’m sorry, what???? That is absolutely not “the most dangerous part north of I-30”. The Webb Chapel / Northwest Highway/ Lombardy Lane area is 10X worse. Five Points (to the east of Park & Greenville) is worse. Forest & Audelia is 10X worse.

People have been mugged in Preston Center, Preston Forest, in their own driveways in UP and Lakewood. Mugging are rare but they can happen anywhere.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:23 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

I know a guy who's one of those trying to gentrify it, and it's happening slowly, I guess, but there's no way I would live there.
That's just not accurate at all. The area the OP is looking at on crime maps shows as well safer than average for the city. FWIIW most (80%) of the bad areas in Dallas north of I-30 are east of 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas