Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 PM

40 posts, read 40,948 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband works in Uptown and we are looking to move closer to his work. We have 2 kids, one entering 6th grade and one 5th grade. We love the Hollywood/Santa Monica area of Lakewood, but concerned that its mostly preschool aged kids. We drove around in the White Rock Elementary area and there were kids everywhere outside playing. It is exactly what we are looking for. Problem is, we are looking to rent for at least another year and both of these areas don't seem to have many rentals. I feel like Richardson would probably be too far as my husband said the WRE area would be as far as he would want to go.

I guess my questions are, if you are familiar with Hollywood Santa Monica area, do you know if there are many kids elementary/middle school age? Are there other areas of Lakewood that might be a better fit? We would like to stay in the $3000 range for monthly rent and we aren't looking for a big house. Are there any posters who live in WRE? If so, do you know of any rentals that might be coming available? I am also wondering if WRE families mostly continue on in the public school system or if they move to private as we would be staying in the public school system.

And lastly, both of my kids play club soccer. Wondering if there are any clubs close by to either area where we wouldn't have to drive into Frisco area for practices.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM

245 posts, read 254,575 times
$3000 rent for a 3 bedroom will be tough. A house on my block rents for $3400 a month and we're not even zoned to Lakewood. You might want to look for a rental in the townhouses on Glasgow and Abrams (or increase your budget).

As for kids, yes there are kids middle and high school aged in Hollywood, though not a ton. Those homes are considered "small" by Dallas standards and most families move when the kids get older (many just a few blocks, but still, out of Hollywood Heights). My friends there with a teenager only have one kid, for example.

If you want the kids running wild feel you should look to Munger Place, it's a very social neighborhood. The 5th grader would go to Lipscomb for a year, but then the same schools as Lakewood (Long and Woodrow). Of course I say that knowing you likely won't find a suitable rental there either.

I don't know specifics about WRE, but I know the demographics of Lake Highlands and Woodrow have crossed (LH has more low income students now, first time since desegregation era). My impression is that fewer and fewer of the WRE families will be at the middle and high school.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM

206 posts, read 170,864 times
Hollywood/Santa Monica is the highly-rated Lakewood Elementary, then middle-of-the-road JL Long and Woodrow Wilson. I know people who could’ve sent their children to private school but chose to continue with Long and Woodrow. One of them is a current city council candidate. The houses in that neighborhood are a little small, old, and expensive, with heavy-handed rules on exterior modifications. Nice neighborhood, but it doesn’t seem conducive to renting.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanna74 View Post
Hello. My husband works in Uptown and we are looking to move closer to his work. We have 2 kids, one entering 6th grade and one 5th grade. We love the Hollywood/Santa Monica area of Lakewood, but concerned that its mostly preschool aged kids. We drove around in the White Rock Elementary area and there were kids everywhere outside playing. It is exactly what we are looking for. Problem is, we are looking to rent for at least another year and both of these areas don't seem to have many rentals. I feel like Richardson would probably be too far as my husband said the WRE area would be as far as he would want to go.

I guess my questions are, if you are familiar with Hollywood Santa Monica area, do you know if there are many kids elementary/middle school age? Are there other areas of Lakewood that might be a better fit? We would like to stay in the $3000 range for monthly rent and we aren't looking for a big house. Are there any posters who live in WRE? If so, do you know of any rentals that might be coming available? I am also wondering if WRE families mostly continue on in the public school system or if they move to private as we would be staying in the public school system.

And lastly, both of my kids play club soccer. Wondering if there are any clubs close by to either area where we wouldn't have to drive into Frisco area for practices.

Thanks!
There are many Elementary aged kids in HH/SM for sure, but definitely less older kids. We live north of there a little bit in Lakewood, but have friends and classmates of our kids that live in that neighborhood (elementary and preschool age). One of my favorite neighborhoods in Dallas. Not a lot of rentals though as you mention.

The WRE area is also great and I think you will find more families there that attend the zoned middle and high school (Lake Highlands) than what you will find in HH/SM or Lakewood (more private school and DISD magnet/choice enrolled kids).

Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM

47 posts, read 54,807 times
If you have friends in the areas of interest, I suggest having them post on your behalf on Nextdoor.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,392 times
I looked up Nextdoor for you and there are only 2 rentals in the area and both are zoned to LHE. Maybe drive around and see if you find one? Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas