Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM

206 posts, read 170,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, I remember when the creek went through there just south of Royal Lane.

My point was not just that marketeers name things according to a desire to appeal, but rather that the constant attempt to use New York City designations in an attempt to gain some kind of urban-chic credibility is pathetic and unbefitting for a city that has its own perfectly good identity. Names like Preston Hollow, Bluffview, Oak Cliff, Lakewood, Casa Linda, Pleasant Grove, Bent Tree, etc., are advertising, sure, but they aren't trying to say "look - it's a pale imitation of New York, so come spend your money here!" (Actually I guess you could rename Pleasant Grove "South Bronx"...)
I agree with all that. I don’t mind if Dallas developer names stretch the truth of a nature reference, but it’s corny to take them from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The name isn’t great (I believe it is supposed to be the “Midtown” between downtown Dallas and the burbs) but I sure am glad to see progress being made on this giant eyesore since it’s relatively close to where I live. I thought it would be a great Amazon site and still believe it’s an A+ office location for companies who want the Dallas address but not a horrific commute for employees who live in the burbs. Great location with easy access to 635, tollroad, & 75.

My gut says this one is going to be like Victory Park as far as timing the economy badly, but at least from what I’ve heard, Scott Beck isn’t making the same mistake of going 100% luxury like Victory Park’s original tenant roster. I think JCPenney is part of the MidPark and I know the movie theater is rebuilding there.
I wonder why they won't name it Midway instead of Midtown

Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The Uptown name makes perfect sense though. All the goofy old people who think Uptown and Oak Lawn should all still by Oak Lawn miss the fact that they are 2 distinct neighbourhoods at this point as it is no longer 1986.

The West Village is west of 75. Also, the OG Dallas Village is east of 75. I agree it's a little silly.

This isn't anything new though. Plenty of areas of Chicago have names like "Hills" or "Gardens" that were selected by developers even though Chicago has no hills.

This is nothing new. Winnetka Heights doesn't actually sit on any heights. Greenland Hills has 0 hills. Saying Bluffview has views of bluffs would be a massive exaggeration. Preston Hollow isn't in what I would call a real Hollow, I mean not really.

Anyway, this isn't the end of the world people name things for marketing and even if it is a little silly it isn't the end of the world. You can name places whatever you want to call them.
Winnetka Heights was platted on the highest developed land at the time. It had views of Downtown. I get your point but all the anecdotes you’ve provided turn out to have a basis in fact or history. The reality is, everything needs a name, so why not choose a good one? I think calling this development midtown is a little silly but I could take issue with any name they give it.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
I always thought Gene Phillips lived in "the hollow". Is that at least close to where you're talking about?

Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Winnetka Heights was platted on the highest developed land at the time. It had views of Downtown. I get your point but all the anecdotes you’ve provided turn out to have a basis in fact or history. The reality is, everything needs a name, so why not choose a good one? I think calling this development midtown is a little silly but I could take issue with any name they give it.
Greenwood Hills?

Winnetka Heights was still a marketing ploy back in the day, it really isn't on any "Hights"

Midtown is a lousy name, but you can make an argument for it, just like the above-listed ones.

I mean sure, if we are going with the NYC thing we could say midtown needs to between Uptown and Downtown, but in Dallas that doesn't technically have to be the case. Uptown is only uptown relative to Downtown. Midtown doesn't have to be midtown relative to uptown and downtown.

Still, It's a dumb name, and the development looks tacky, but what do you expect? This is Dallas developers who are doing half-assed flux urbanism for the easily impressed.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The Uptown name makes perfect sense though. All the goofy old people who think Uptown and Oak Lawn should all still by Oak Lawn miss the fact that they are 2 distinct neighbourhoods at this point as it is no longer 1986.

The West Village is west of 75. Also, the OG Dallas Village is east of 75. I agree it's a little silly.

This isn't anything new though. Plenty of areas of Chicago have names like "Hills" or "Gardens" that were selected by developers even though Chicago has no hills.

This is nothing new. Winnetka Heights doesn't actually sit on any heights. Greenland Hills has 0 hills. Saying Bluffview has views of bluffs would be a massive exaggeration. Preston Hollow isn't in what I would call a real Hollow, I mean not really.

Anyway, this isn't the end of the world people name things for marketing and even if it is a little silly it isn't the end of the world. You can name places whatever you want to call them.
Beverly Hills on the SW side of Chicago actually is hilly though nothing like the West. They’re glacial ridges/hills.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Isn’t Vickery Meadows close to NorthPark and is miles away, or is "Vickery" a much larger area?

I wonder exactly how much retail that it will have. There’s a mall three blocks away, five miles away, and ten miles away. I doubt they need too much traditional retail. They should have just stuck with apartments and office space.
Vickery Meadows is close to Northpark, and north of that now. But it isn't Vickery Meadows anymore. It's now Vickery Midtown. Vickery was a larger area way back in the day, before my time.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Dallas has two Vickeries. Vickery Place and Vickery Meadow.

Turf3 will be amused (or annoyed) to see that the Wiki entry for Vickery Meadow has been revised throughout to use the term Vickery Midtown instead of Vickery Meadow.
Exactly. And that there was actually a town of Vickery that was swallowed up by Dallas.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Exactly. And that there was actually a town of Vickery that was swallowed up by Dallas.
Yes, I know about the former town of Vickery, of course; I'm a real Dallasite. Although the town of Vickery had been annexed before I was born, I went swimming at Vickery Park in the second best swimming pool in the area (the best, in my opinion, was Sandy Lake, now also (sob!) deceased and soon to be replaced by yet more McMansion tract houses...). I also remember buying feed at the Vickery Feed Store when it was a feed store; as well as Al's Grocery/Deli/Liquor Store on at least three of the four (six?) corners there at Twin Falls/Park Lane/Greenville. Also Deuback's Skating Rink (where they built all the houses down in the creek bottom that reliably flood every spring, just like anyone with half a brain could have predicted would happen...)

Anyone remember the giant slide that was on Greenville roughly across from Louann's? Anyone remember the Lovers Lane riding stables where the Village is now?

OK, last one for now, remember Bob-O-Links?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Folks, it’s called midtown because it’s in the middle of everything when you factor in Dallas and the suburbs. To many of you are stuck on Dallas Proper. Think about it like this. It’s right in between Downtown Dallas/Uptown and the Legacy area of Frisco. Case closed! Going back to lurk mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas