Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Under President Trump, the Black unemployment rate is the lowest it's ever been at 6.7%. Even lower than under Bush and Obama.
Pretty irrelevant if you look at any of the unemployment curves. There is no significant change when Trump took over. Not saying Obama did anything great here either, but it's a totally inherited trend. It, and unemployment in general, was already trending down and the slope stayed pretty consistent - certainly enough so that you cannot attribute anything to Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I've watched this for years, Rakin is right. We get one person out of poverty and three more come in. Illegals are taking away the tax money that normally would be going towards our poor legal residents. On a positive note there are some new programs that will hopefully help the residents in south Dallas out. Also, there are jobs in other parts of the city, thank goodness for Dart rail.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
FYI

Southern Dallas = Oak Cliff, South Dallas, West Dallas, Pleasant Grove, etc. (basically everything south of the Trinity River)

South Dallas = the area around Fair Park

Old 05-07-2019, 06:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This video displays how bad poverty really is in the City of Dallas. I’ve have encountered Dallasites who’ve never really ventured and explored the southern half of the city. Many who don’t live in or haven’t visited Dallas’ toughest neighbrohoods don’t understand/know how bad the level of poverty really is. For far too long, previous mayors and city council members have ignored the poverty issue in Dallas. Sweeping it under the rug, has lead to a poverty crisis in Dallas. It’s sad to say that Dallas has the highest level of concentrated child poverty out of the top 10 largest cities in America. That’s a statistic that people don’t know or if they do know, they don’t like to talk about it. Some might find it to be embarrassing, (Dallas being in a booming region) that Dallas has such a high child poverty rate. The lack of basic infrastructure investment, resources, etc. has turned parts of Dallas into a Detroit or Newark-like state. I love this city but we have to be honest with ourselves...we have to do something or the future of Dallas will be VERY bleak. Can we fix the poverty issue in Dallas without displacing the residents who live in those communities? Have we let certain parts of this city decline so much that it’ll take generations for them to fully recover? What are your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQthSDoHSY
One problem that has occurred is many middle class and educated blacks in inner city Dallas left for the suburbs because they got tired of fighting city officials for basic amnenities. So, they moved to areas that have the amenities readily available. And I quite frankly don’t blame them. That has definitely left a void. Dallas has always been good at marketing and maybe with all these big development projects going on around Dallas maybe the city should start a local and national campaign geared towards bringing educated and upwardly mobile blacks back into core. You have to start getting creative with stuff like this.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 05-07-2019 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
One problem that has occurred is middle class and educated blacks in inner city Dallas left for the suburbs because they got tired of fighting city officials for basic amnenities. So, they moved to areas that have the amenities readily available. And I quite frankly don’t blame them. That has definitely left a void. Dallas has always been good at marketing and maybe with all these big development projects going on around Dallas maybe the city should start a local and national campaign geared towards bringing educated and upwardly mobile blacks back into core. You have to start getting creative with stuff like this.
I agree and that’s where the city completely failed at. The city focuses so much attention in areas where they’re really not needed. In result, areas that are starting to decline...continued to decline and become completely economically depressed.

Let’s be real, a lot of it had to do with racism and its effects we are still dealing with. There’s no way in 2019 we should have a White side of Dallas, Black side of Dallas, and a Hispanic side of Dallas. We have normalized segregation in Dallas.

For Example: the Dallas ISD has been a majority minority district since the 1970s. People say “Dallas ISD is terrible” but people don’t know why it declined. Forced integration of schools in the 70s lead to a massive white flight from Dallas ISD and the district has never recovered. Whites hold the wealth in Dallas and when they up and left Dallas ISD, the district suffered greatly. My mother grew up during the era of forced integration. Many of the schools she attended in Oak Cliff completely flipped racially during that time.

My mother’s side of the family came to Dallas from a small town in North Texas. They settled in South Dallas in the late 40s or early 1950s in a huge craftsman style home. During that time, South Dallas was transitioning from a upper middle/middle class white area to a mostly middle class black area. By the late 60s or early 70s, my grandparents relocated to South Oak Cliff. By that time, South Dallas was declining and my grandparents were looking for a nicer area to raise my mom. My mother describes South Oak Cliff as being very nice when she first moved to the area. Whites who also lived in South Oak Cliff fled to other parts of town or to the southern suburbs. Back in the day, she said many blacks who moved into South Oak Cliff were very proud to live there. She says when you said “South Oak Cliff” it meant something. Like everywhere else that blacks moved to, it began to decline as well. Business left not because they weren’t making money...the area was no longer their target demographic. Many of the business and major department store chains moved from Oak Cliff and went further south to Red Bird, which was heavily white at the time.

One of the department store chains that left South Oak Cliff and moved was Sanger-Harris. Sanger-Harris (according to my mother) was similar to a Nordstrom or Dillard’s. They had a open air shopping mall off of I-35 and Kiest Blvd. It is still there to this day but it’s owned by Dallas ISD and it’s very dilapidated. It’s crazy to know how great an area was just a generation or 2 ago. Now, you can’t even tell.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM

274 posts, read 855,440 times
Quote:

One of the department store chains that left South Oak Cliff and moved was Sanger-Harris. Sanger-Harris (according to my mother) was similar to a Nordstrom or Dillard’s. They had a open air shopping mall off of I-35 and Kiest Blvd. It is still there to this day but it’s owned by Dallas ISD and it’s very dilapidated. It’s crazy to know how great an area was just a generation or 2 ago. Now, you can’t even tell.
I had no idea that's what that building used to be! I've been in there and was honestly weirded out by how it was laid out - the parking lots are massive for the number of people who work there and the whole place is pretty run down.

For those talking about immigration, legal or illegal, that's not the main issue. Dallas purposely institutionalized racism and operated on racist principles for decades and the effects are still felt. To say it's an uphill battle to break the cycle of generational poverty is such a colossal understatement. The effect of redlining alone has created massive swaths of poverty across the city... redlining is explicitly written into the deed of the house I own, and it would be foolish to think that that hasn't had an effect on the value of my property and the development of my neighborhood even eighty years later.

In high school, I took a sociology class where we spent a solid month working on a project to understand poverty. We were to take on the role of a single mother with two kids working a minimum wage, full-time job in a nearby city and receiving welfare. The goal was to get off of welfare. Every 18 year old in that class went into it with an attitude like "well, how hard could it be? Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get a cheap apartment." Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The cost of childcare + public transit + an apartment where you don't violate the housing code + healthcare costs + food + clothes + utilities + not being able to find a job that pays a living wage means that without connections or a massive support system = you're stuck. And when you make just enough to NOT qualify for TANF or SNAP, you're even worse off. Coming from an affluent community, I'd never once considered this. Out of 30 students in that class, one found a way out. That single experience completely changed the way I have approached issues into adulthood - nothing is as simple as we think it is.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Prior to the passing of the fair housing laws in the mid 60's the vast majority of blacks lived in South Dallas (Fair Park area). Things changed drastically after 1967. Blacks began to move to Oak Cliff in droves. We move to Oak Cliff in 1968. We were the second black family to move to the neighborhood. By 1970 our neighborhood was 95% black. This is how quick the change happened. Whites who lived in Oak Cliff moved to the southern burbs first. Duncanville experienced tremendous growth in the early 70'S. Most of the hispanics lived around the neighborhoods boarding Jefferson Blvd. I was common knowledge that blacks who had means got the hell out of South Dallas (Fair Park) and moved to Oak Cliff during this era. I have known illegals since I was a child (born 1963) and they have always been part of the Dallas fabric. The only became a problem when they expanded from the border states and moved further north. I can remember visiting an aunt who lived in Baltimore circa 1972 and she didn't even no what a taco was. Poverty is not new to Dallas. It has been around as long as they city itself.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
" Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps "

Yeah it's hard to pull yourself up by the bootstraps when you don't have boots. I wish everyone could take the class you took.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
I had no idea that's what that building used to be! I've been in there and was honestly weirded out by how it was laid out - the parking lots are massive for the number of people who work there and the whole place is pretty run down.

For those talking about immigration, legal or illegal, that's not the main issue. Dallas purposely institutionalized racism and operated on racist principles for decades and the effects are still felt. To say it's an uphill battle to break the cycle of generational poverty is such a colossal understatement. The effect of redlining alone has created massive swaths of poverty across the city... redlining is explicitly written into the deed of the house I own, and it would be foolish to think that that hasn't had an effect on the value of my property and the development of my neighborhood even eighty years later.

In high school, I took a sociology class where we spent a solid month working on a project to understand poverty. We were to take on the role of a single mother with two kids working a minimum wage, full-time job in a nearby city and receiving welfare. The goal was to get off of welfare. Every 18 year old in that class went into it with an attitude like "well, how hard could it be? Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get a cheap apartment." Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The cost of childcare + public transit + an apartment where you don't violate the housing code + healthcare costs + food + clothes + utilities + not being able to find a job that pays a living wage means that without connections or a massive support system = you're stuck. And when you make just enough to NOT qualify for TANF or SNAP, you're even worse off. Coming from an affluent community, I'd never once considered this. Out of 30 students in that class, one found a way out. That single experience completely changed the way I have approached issues into adulthood - nothing is as simple as we think it is.
Yep, it was a shopping mall. I was also told that the parking lot once completely surrounded the entire building. When Dallas ISD took over, they turned a large portion of the parking lots into athletic fields. BTW, the smaller buildings facing Kiest once housed a Tom Thumb. I attached a picture to this post. It shows Sanger-Harris during its moving sale in the 1970s. This is how it looks today: https://goo.gl/maps/Wu9TS9rphvGUv3t5A

I did the same thing in high school as well...it’s very eye opening. That’s why it’s so hard to grow up poor and make it out. You have to work so much harder to be successful.
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas’ Poverty Crisis-7fe7d3eb-eddf-4ee8-b844-f69b40934481.jpeg  

Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
This video displays how bad poverty really is in the City of Dallas. I’ve have encountered Dallasites who’ve never really ventured and explored the southern half of the city. Many who don’t live in or haven’t visited Dallas’ toughest neighbrohoods don’t understand/know how bad the level of poverty really is. For far too long, previous mayors and city council members have ignored the poverty issue in Dallas. Sweeping it under the rug, has lead to a poverty crisis in Dallas. It’s sad to say that Dallas has the highest level of concentrated child poverty out of the top 10 largest cities in America. That’s a statistic that people don’t know or if they do know, they don’t like to talk about it. Some might find it to be embarrassing, (Dallas being in a booming region) that Dallas has such a high child poverty rate. The lack of basic infrastructure investment, resources, etc. has turned parts of Dallas into a Detroit or Newark-like state. I love this city but we have to be honest with ourselves...we have to do something or the future of Dallas will be VERY bleak. Can we fix the poverty issue in Dallas without displacing the residents who live in those communities? Have we let certain parts of this city decline so much that it’ll take generations for them to fully recover? What are your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQthSDoHSY
A couple of things.

1). As of now even using the bogus metrics Koprowski used (pretending a dollar is worth the same in all cities across The US) Dallas does not have the highest child poverty rate among peer cites.

2). Applying "supplemental" poverty metrics (dollars adjusted for local cost of living) offers a much more accurate picture of poverty, and other income related topics for that matter.

3). I haven't done the analysis is good while and can't now because it's a longhand slow set of exercises but last time I did Dallas' child poverty rate wasn't in the top 30 among all cities and well behind LA, SF, NY and others among very large cities.

4). From data that's a bit stale - but I'd be very surprised if the relative rankings have changed at all.
Via supplemental poverty numbers across the largest states CA, TX, FL, NY all cadres between Blacks, Hispanics and Whites are better off in Texas than peers in the other states. Hispanic and Black supplemental poverty numbers are significantly better in TX than the others.

5). Poverty and the kinds of segregation Koprowski spoke about are worldwide problems - not specific to Dallas as Koprowski stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas