Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM

274 posts, read 855,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Lack of what services other than Medicaid?
Public transit, for one. I know someone who had to spend 2.5 hours round trip every day on a bus to get to and from a minimum wage job - and the job wasn't even all that far away. The lack of public transit is very limiting for many people who can't afford a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Lack of what services other than Medicaid?
Public transit is a great example. Cars are very expensive to own and very stressful if you have an older one you depend on for your livelihood.

Let's say your apartment in Chicago is 15%-20% more expensive than Dallas, but you have the ability to take transit to it. For a working poor person, it is well worth the 20% to not have to stress about car ownership or to have a viable option of taking the train to work if their car breaks down to save up to repair it.

The more money you have the less of a big deal this is, but for the working poor it is a huge deal.

A decent sized minority of working poor in Dallas have to rely on transit and for them, it can be very hard.

Another Example is how poorly mental healthcare is funded in our state.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:24 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
Public transit, for one. I know someone who had to spend 2.5 hours round trip every day on a bus to get to and from a minimum wage job - and the job wasn't even all that far away. The lack of public transit is very limiting for many people who can't afford a car.
That's a decent one but what would you have the area do? DART has spent/committed somewhere around $20 billion on buses and light rail that are both woefully underused?

Further, most poor people in The US have a car or easy access to a car.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Public transit is a great example. Cars are very expensive to own and very stressful if you have an older one you depend on for your livelihood.

Let's say your apartment in Chicago is 15%-20% more expensive than Dallas, but you have the ability to take transit to it. For a working poor person, it is well worth the 20% to not have to stress about car ownership or to have a viable option of taking the train to work if their car breaks down to save up to repair it.

The more money you have the less of a big deal this is, but for the working poor it is a huge deal.

A decent sized minority of working poor in Dallas have to rely on transit and for them, it can be very hard.

Another Example is how poorly mental healthcare is funded in our state.

The vast majority of the very poor through the working poor do not decide where to live due to statewide per capita mental health spending. Even the states that spend a lot do not spend much.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That's a decent one but what would you have the area do? DART has spent/committed somewhere around $20 billion on buses and light rail that are both woefully underused?

Further, most poor people in The US have a car or easy access to a car.
idk, have you ever actually ridden Dart?

Lots of things about DART suck.

First and Foremost, they built way too far out into the suburbs along the cheapest right of way they could get instead of connecting areas that could have used it the most.

The system design itself is a total joke. Amature hour. Again, mostly because they wanted the cheapest tracks.

The bus system is trash and most routes are not frequent enough. We could really look at Houston and Seattle as great examples of cities who have good bus service.

Seattle isn't fundamentally that different from Dallas, at least compared to legacy cities back east. Most of Seattle isn't that much more dense than Dallas, they just made better transit decisions.

Most working poor do have access to a car. They have no other choice. They also finance them at very high rates or spend a much bigger chunk of their income repairing them than more affluent people. Believe me, they cause a lot of stress.

I worked for a car rental company right out of college and you wouldn't believe how many working poor people were regular renters in Arlington when their car was in the shop or between cars. They couldn't afford to rent, but they could they couldn't afford not to rent either.

Then there is the 10% or so of southern Dallas residents who can't afford to own a car or can't drive for whatever reason. They aren't the majority but it's a big chunk of people.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of the very poor through the working poor do not decide where to live due to statewide per capita mental health spending. Even the states that spend a lot do not spend much.
Of course not, they are just trying to survive.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM

154 posts, read 191,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
This person could sure get a lot of work done for a class during the daily 2.5 hour bus commute. This might lead to a better employment opportunity than a minimum wage job.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
idk, have you ever actually ridden Dart?

Lots of things about DART suck.

First and Foremost, they built way too far out into the suburbs along the cheapest right of way they could get instead of connecting areas that could have used it the most.

The system design itself is a total joke. Amature hour. Again, mostly because they wanted the cheapest tracks.

The bus system is trash and most routes are not frequent enough. We could really look at Houston and Seattle as great examples of cities who have good bus service.

Seattle isn't fundamentally that different from Dallas, at least compared to legacy cities back east. Most of Seattle isn't that much more dense than Dallas, they just made better transit decisions.

Most working poor do have access to a car. They have no other choice. They also finance them at very high rates or spend a much bigger chunk of their income repairing them than more affluent people. Believe me, they cause a lot of stress.

I worked for a car rental company right out of college and you wouldn't believe how many working poor people were regular renters in Arlington when their car was in the shop or between cars. They couldn't afford to rent, but they could they couldn't afford not to rent either.

Then there is the 10% or so of southern Dallas residents who can't afford to own a car or can't drive for whatever reason. They aren't the majority but it's a big chunk of people.
DART is terrible for the working poor. I remember I had a job right out of high school and it took me an hour to go LITERALLY 5 mins up the street. From that point, I saved up every check that I made to get myself a car. Luckily, I did and never used DART again. It’s extremely inefficient for people who are trying to get to work or employment centers.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Five minutes up a street? Could just walk at that point. I worked part-time jobs, working 30+ hours while in college full-time and walked to work most the time, five minutes by car and twenty or so by foot.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Five minutes up a street? Could just walk at that point. I worked part-time jobs, working 30+ hours while in college full-time and walked to work most the time, five minutes by car and twenty or so by foot.
I should have been more specific, it was 5 mins by car. It’s probably more like 40 mins on foot.

It was during the summer too and the only way to get there is walking along a frontage road. It had no sidewalks and there are signs prohibiting pedestrians. One time I did walk to work. I was drenched in sweat due to our oppressive summers. I smelled like a wet puppy when I arrived to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas