Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 AM

686 posts, read 3,707,357 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I can't figure out which Dallas suburbs and among the best and worst. The metroplex is so HUGE!!! I am talking about neighborhoods that are clean, safe, green (as in trees, grass), and just overall pleasant. Where are the areas that are affordable for most middle class people and where are the REAL nice areas that are affluent and expensive? YOu can also include neighborhoods within the city too.

Of course I would also like to know where to stay away from. Filthy, crime ridden, nothing going for it type of place. Thanks,

daniel

Old 04-13-2008, 10:01 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
Well, probably the ones I would tell people to stay away from (and just watch people will post from these areas and say they are wonderful) are Pleasant Grove, Wilmer, Hutchins, and South Dallas.

I personally wouldn't live in Mesquite because I know too many Mesquite people who sold their houses there saying it was going down hill. I know one person still in Mesquite but she's still there because she has a kid at Poteet High and the kid likes it there.

The more affluent areas are Highland Park, University Park, Preston Hollow (in North Dallas), Southlake, Colleyville, Westlake, West Plano.

There are suburbs that have good and bad parts, such as Richardson, Garland, Grand Prairie, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Irving, Rowlett, Plano.

There are suburbs were it's all pretty good, such as Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Coppell, Rockwall.

I'm not sure about Grapevine, which seems mostly good to me, but I don't know. Same with Forney, but I think it's mostly good too and cheaper.

Then there are the areas south of Dallas that most people think are crummy because they are south of Dallas, but really they are fine and are cheaper, such as Red Oak, Mansfield, Midlothian, Glenn Heights, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Ovilla. Less materialism that direction.

I'm sure I will get hammered for making these sweeping generalizations.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM

686 posts, read 3,707,357 times
Well thank you for the insight. This helps a lot. I have heard that Frisco and Allen were nice but that's all I knew. I have a friend who lives in Fort Worth and she says she loves it. Says it's real nice and pretty safe. I've never given Forth Worth any thought. Is it worth looking at?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Only look at Ft. Worth if your job is over there of if you won't be commuting to a job in the Dallas area. There is a Ft. Worth board that can give you more details.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:36 PM

14 posts, read 69,857 times
In response to 'FarNorthDallas,' there are definitely some less than desirable areas in McKinney and Allen, just like there are in Garland and Richardson, etc. The area of McKinney directly east of 75 is the oldest part of the city, and has a lot of crime, subsidized housing, etc. If you look at the average home price for the 75069 zip code, you will see this.

Allen is generally affluent and fairly new, but there are also older areas left from before it became a popular bedroom community. As with a lot of Dallas, Highway 75/Central serves as an economic divide of sorts...

Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano87 View Post
In response to 'FarNorthDallas,' there are definitely some less than desirable areas in McKinney and Allen, just like there are in Garland and Richardson, etc. The area of McKinney directly east of 75 is the oldest part of the city, and has a lot of crime, subsidized housing, etc. If you look at the average home price for the 75069 zip code, you will see this.

Allen is generally affluent and fairly new, but there are also older areas left from before it became a popular bedroom community. As with a lot of Dallas, Highway 75/Central serves as an economic divide of sorts...
I don't equate "older" areas with being bad. Sometimes it's true, but not in all cases. I live in Dallas proper and don't require everything to be new to be good and I don't have problems with small pockets of crime and subsidized housing. (Key word is "small")

Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,759,591 times
With the glut of new housing in McKinney - Frisco areas, you can find really good deals. Older, established areas closer to Dallas, can be a little more challenging.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

869 posts, read 2,943,687 times
Don't come to the eastern suburbs...we have dragons over here that will eat your babies...

Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,681,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't equate "older" areas with being bad. Sometimes it's true, but not in all cases. I live in Dallas proper and don't require everything to be new to be good and I don't have problems with small pockets of crime and subsidized housing. (Key word is "small")
True. The area of Garland off of Miller to the east of Shiloh is an older area w/ ranch homes and large trees but very well kept up. Hardly ANY houses for sale in this area. Close in to Dallas, great neighborhood, good schools, stable area but older and is "east of 75". Also east of 75 you will find some VERY affluent areas. Try The Hills of Breckinridge and The Retreat in Garland and in Firewheel. Then up to Parker and you will find acreage estates. Hey, if it is good enough for many CEO's of some of the biggest corporations in the Dallas area....... and those that cashed out and retired early w/ a nice sum . I'll take it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,841,453 times
Where will you be working? The "metroplex..DFW" covers a huge area and many people refer to it as "DAllas".

Most of the places everyone has mentioned are very nice safe and have good schools, but some might be too convientient depending on where your job is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas