Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 9,006 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are from Wisconsin originally but have spent the last years in Antigua, Guatemala. We have decided to move back and my husband's job has just switched him to outside of Dallas- Sunnyvale area.

To move to Guatemala we sold our home and vehicles, so we will be renting in Dallas. Hence, the worry; our credit scores aren't great. His mid 600's, mine low 600s. This is a result of us just having credit cards, which we paid on time, but, our 'longest account' is then only 4 years. Anyway, how much of a problem is this going to be to rent a home? And, if someone doesn't like the scores, do they usually just request additional security deposit or co-signor, or what can we expect here? Any ideas welcome.

Lastly, since we are looking at a map, what is within 20 minutes drive of Highway 80 near Sunnyvale? I realize that really depends on traffic, but, we are just trying to get a feel for homes or cities that we may be able to look at.

We are moving with three children (3,13, 15), so need to figure this out for schools, non-gang violence, etc. Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
What's your budget for the house?

Sunnyvale itself is a nice community with good schools, but homes are expensive. Forney is the next town east on highway 80, and it has good schools and is less expensive. Mesquite is west of Sunnyvale, but be careful about the schools as some are good, but others are not.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Its very rare to find a Landlord who accepts co-signers. Sometimes two months security deposit is asked for. I don’t accept credit scores lower than 650. You will likely have an easier time renting from an apartment complex than a private home. A bit of a drive but not too bad is also Rowlett. Sunnyvale and Forney are good suggestions.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:43 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Third vote for Forney

Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM

56 posts, read 43,865 times
My FICO scores are in the low-mid 600's (divorce destroyed my credit for awhile), but my pay rate is decent middle class, and I had no problems getting approved for a nice townhome - my rental and real estate history is spotless, however, so that helps too since, from my understanding, your regular FICO vs what a Landlord looks at are two different systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas