Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,181,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
See my experiences are a little different when it comes to friendliness in Austin. I won’t write the entire city off as being unfriendly but I had my fair share of rude pretentious people in Austin than any other city in Texas. The city definitely has the rudest bicyclist bar none. San Antonio imo seemed to me to be the friendliest by far. I was taken back how friendly people were there.
A few weeks ago, I was in Austin for my son's school field trip and almost backed into a bicyclist who came out of nowhere and wasn't following the traffic laws. I was backing out slowly and constantly checking my blind spots and wide angle backup camera when he came out of nowhere. That same trip I also almost ran over one of those stupid electric scooters that was lying in the street instead of on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I am one of these guys who you describe. I'm surprised you think we are quite plentiful. Dallas single men outnumber single women so there's an arms race to competitiveness here. Maybe it is a different mindset here than San Antonio, because single men also outnumber single women there as well.
San Antonio has a lot of broke, single men who are around 30 years old and still living with parents, grandparents, or aunts and uncles. I believe San Antonio has the highest poverty rate out of all the large metropolitan areas. It's usually ranked #1 or #2 for economic segregation.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:32 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,566,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I lived in San Antonio for 28 years. Maybe my experiences were different being a black woman. I had people call me the n-word a few times there (all Hispanic). I overheard one of my Hispanic coworkers talk horribly about dark-skinned black women, and none of the black men she was talking to said anything. These were all military veterans who said that they don't date black women, which is very common in SA. I had a coworker whose half-black daughter was called the n-word every day at a school that was almost entirely Hispanic. I had people call the police on me when I was delivering newspapers. The same state agencies that wouldn't interview or hire me in San Antonio offered me jobs in Austin.

SAPD was unprofessional. They would harass me when I was at my car in my security uniform, but they wouldn't do anything when I called the police on white men assaulting people at a homeless shelter. When I called about child abuse, officers would brag about hitting their kids in the face. BCSO deputies are always in the news for being arrested. I had a deputy laugh at me when I reported a woman scamming people on Craigslist for their dogs. About a year later, she was charged with animal abuse because there were dozens of dead dogs on the property she was renting. In my over 10 years in the criminal justice field, SAPD and BCSO had some of the dumbest peace officers I ever encountered. One deputy I worked with at BCSO said that he didn't think there was one black woman who was a patrol deputy at the time. The Travis County Sheriff's Office is much more diverse.

In the five years I lived in the Austin area, I experienced more random acts of kindness than the nearly 30 years I lived in San Antonio i.e. the car in front of me in the drive-thru paying for my meal and people leaving quarters when they noticed that the washing machine I had my clothes in was broken. Moving away from SA was the best decision I ever made. If I had stayed there, I wouldn't be making nearly the amount of money I'm making now. The work experience I gained in Austin helped me land my current job in Dallas. By next year, I'll be making nearly three times the salary I was making in SA, and I had a master's degree and supervisory experience when I left.

I haven't lived in Dallas long, but I was surprised to come across so many men in their late 20s and early 30s who had a job, no kids, and didn't live with their parents. San Antonio is one of the top cities for people over 25 still living with their parents. It was hard to find a man who didn't already have two or more baby mamas or who could afford his own apartment.
Well I’d imagine your experiences would be much more different than mines considering I was speaking from someone who only visited San Antonio for 4 days. Me being a black man myself shoot I know anywhere in America you reside in long enough you’ll experience some form of racism. I’m also aware of the interracial scene in San Antonio especially among the military. Not saying that there’s anything wrong with that but me and my Wife(a married black couple) stood out in SA in comparison to the IR couples. You definitely get that in a lot of military cities. So I believe everything your saying. Funny enough one of the reasons I’m not that impressed with Austin’s hospitality was due to 3 racist incidents I encountered while visiting the city. One involving me almost having to hurt some racist white drunk on 6th street. The other 2 were more indirect. Every other negative outside of 3 racist incidents was just some pretentious attitudes.

I’m not stating I’ve had nothing but bad experiences there, a lot of good ones actually but just from the many times I’ve gone to Austin I never felt an overwhelming hospitality vibe from the city. Just an every once and a while thing. Still enjoy visiting the city though. I would say Round Rock is more hospitable in my experiences than what I get in Austin on a general basis.

Being that I grew up in East Texas where the black population is above national average I honestly couldn’t live in any Texas city outside of DFW or Houston though so I feel ya.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 634,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I lived in San Antonio for 28 years. Maybe my experiences were different being a black woman. I had people call me the n-word a few times there (all Hispanic). I overheard one of my Hispanic coworkers talk horribly about dark-skinned black women, and none of the black men she was talking to said anything. These were all military veterans who said that they don't date black women, which is very common in SA. I had a coworker whose half-black daughter was called the n-word every day at a school that was almost entirely Hispanic. I had people call the police on me when I was delivering newspapers. The same state agencies that wouldn't interview or hire me in San Antonio offered me jobs in Austin.

SAPD was unprofessional. They would harass me when I was at my car in my security uniform, but they wouldn't do anything when I called the police on white men assaulting people at a homeless shelter. When I called about child abuse, officers would brag about hitting their kids in the face. BCSO deputies are always in the news for being arrested. I had a deputy laugh at me when I reported a woman scamming people on Craigslist for their dogs. About a year later, she was charged with animal abuse because there were dozens of dead dogs on the property she was renting. In my over 10 years in the criminal justice field, SAPD and BCSO had some of the dumbest peace officers I ever encountered. One deputy I worked with at BCSO said that he didn't think there was one black woman who was a patrol deputy at the time. The Travis County Sheriff's Office is much more diverse.

In the five years I lived in the Austin area, I experienced more random acts of kindness than the nearly 30 years I lived in San Antonio i.e. the car in front of me in the drive-thru paying for my meal and people leaving quarters when they noticed that the washing machine I had my clothes in was broken. Moving away from SA was the best decision I ever made. If I had stayed there, I wouldn't be making nearly the amount of money I'm making now. The work experience I gained in Austin helped me land my current job in Dallas. By next year, I'll be making nearly three times the salary I was making in SA, and I had a master's degree and supervisory experience when I left.

I haven't lived in Dallas long, but I was surprised to come across so many men in their late 20s and early 30s who had a job, no kids, and didn't live with their parents. San Antonio is one of the top cities for people over 25 still living with their parents. It was hard to find a man who didn't already have two or more baby mamas or who could afford his own apartment.
Thank goodness someone else who doesn't like San Antonio. Every time I voice my dislike of the place people are a-gasp.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Well I’d imagine your experiences would be much more different than mines considering I was speaking from someone who only visited San Antonio for 4 days. Me being a black man myself shoot I know anywhere in America you reside in long enough you’ll experience some form of racism. I’m also aware of the interracial scene in San Antonio especially among the military. Not saying that there’s anything wrong with that but me and my Wife(a married black couple) stood out in SA in comparison to the IR couples. You definitely get that in a lot of military cities. So I believe everything your saying. Funny enough one of the reasons I’m not that impressed with Austin’s hospitality was due to 3 racist incidents I encountered while visiting the city. One involving me almost having to hurt some racist white drunk on 6th street. The other 2 were more indirect. Every other negative outside of 3 racist incidents was just some pretentious attitudes.

I’m not stating I’ve had nothing but bad experiences there, a lot of good ones actually but just from the many times I’ve gone to Austin I never felt an overwhelming hospitality vibe from the city. Just an every once and a while thing. Still enjoy visiting the city though. I would say Round Rock is more hospitable in my experiences than what I get in Austin on a general basis.

Being that I grew up in East Texas where the black population is above national average I honestly couldn’t live in any Texas city outside of DFW or Houston though so I feel ya.
There is racism everywhere, but the level of discrimination in San Antonio can hinder one's professional development. Even though black people in Austin are running to the suburbs to escape the high housing costs, you'll find a lot more black people working for the same state agencies that are in San Antonio. People mistakenly believe that SA is ethnically diverse and more welcoming to minorities simply because it's a minority-majority city. Other than El Paso, SA is the least ethnically diverse big city in Texas.

I have no problem with interracial dating and have dated interracially myself. The problem in SA is that so many black men only date non-black women, and there aren't many Hispanic or white men who are open to dating black women. Most single, professional black women I've come across have agreed that SA is a horrible place for black women to date. At least, in Dallas, there are still a lot of black men who date black women.

Outside of work, it's easy to escape racism in SA by living in ethnically diverse neighborhoods. I mostly lived on the northeast side. San Antonians are good at smiling and greeting strangers and making small talk since it's an extroverted, drunk city, but that's what I call being superficially friendly. White people felt comfortable with making racist comments about Hispanics, and Hispanics felt comfortable with making racist comments about white people when talking to me because I'm black. I hope I never have to move back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Thank goodness someone else who doesn't like San Antonio. Every time I voice my dislike of the place people are a-gasp.
It's a lowly-educated city with a relatively high poverty rate. Too many people there lack ambition, and Bexar County competes with Harris County for most drunk drivers per capita. It's great professionally if you have a security clearance or a healthcare license. Teachers also make pretty good money there, but that's about it.

I do have to say that Dallas is very pretty in comparison to SA and Austin.

Last edited by L210; 05-29-2019 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas