Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times

Advertisements

A very thorough story, lots of charts and numbers.

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/201...-t-washington/

Also infuriating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 11:58 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
A very thorough story, lots of charts and numbers.

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/201...-t-washington/

Also infuriating...
It is infuriating. I live in Dallas and have officed on the Plano/Frisco border for the past 15 years. I cannot tell you the number of colleagues whose kids (or friends’ kids) have gamed their way into Booker T because I’ve lost count:

-the Starwood Dad who drives his dancer daughter to Booker T everyday since his office is across the street. They rent a West Village apartment that she crashes in a few nights a year. It seems like half her Booker T friends all live in Frisco or Plano too.

-the woman who is the Executive Director of Frisco ARTS (who’s other kids go to Frisco ISD) has a theatre daughter at Booker T. No idea how they gamed the system. Oh the Facebook posts about “how proud” she is that her daughter got into Booker T and is getting roles in productions there. Shameless.

-the famous 5 male dancers who all got into Julliard a few years ago all trained at Dance Industry in Plano. I believe I was told that none (or only 1) of them actually live in Dallas.

When I point blank have told these parents they’re cheating and as a Dallas taxpayer, it’s infuriating, they usually laugh it off or say “you would do the same for your kids once they’re older” or some version of “my kid was just more talented than they other applicants”....never mind the fact that they’ve spent $10,000 a year on music or dance or whatever lessons since junior was 4. It’s entitlement, plain and simple. No different than “Aunt Becky”.

It’s also interesting that these parents feel it’s a tit-for-tat with the district that Booker T wouldn’t be able to boast about 5 dancers getting into Julliard in the same year unless they had well-trained kids from the suburbs enrolled. And it’s hard not to believe that the district doesn’t feel the same way since they aren’t sufficiently vetting applicants or current students.

I agree with the article that DISD should just pull back the veil and charge $25,000-30,000 per year for out-of/district applicants, the equivalent of a Tier 1 private tuition package.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 PM

313 posts, read 368,455 times
Fascinating. It makes me wonder what rigor UT-Austin has for making sure that applicants are TX residents and not pretending to be. If someone graduates from a non-Texas high school, isn't it obvious? DISD needs to do a thorough review of new applicants and current students and clean house of anyone that's not living in the district. An even better step is to then prosecute parents who lied to get into the school.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Fascinating. It makes me wonder what rigor UT-Austin has for making sure that applicants are TX residents and not pretending to be. If someone graduates from a non-Texas high school, isn't it obvious? DISD needs to do a thorough review of new applicants and current students and clean house of anyone that's not living in the district. An even better step is to then prosecute parents who lied to get into the school.
I wouldn’t worry about UT having a residency scandal. It’s fairly rigorous to prove residency for college. You have to prove your domicile was in place for 12+ months prior to applying. So graduating from a non-Texas high school would be a big red flag that the domicile criteria was not met for a freshmen applicant.

You also can’t claim an Austin domicile as an OOS undergrad to get in-state admission. Very few will meet the criteria and move from OOS to IS tuition.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

578 posts, read 479,389 times
DISD trustees approve this for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Talk with Dallas ISD’s trustees, administrators and faculty, and there are a variety of responses to the issue of suburbanites blocking deserving Dallas ISD students from Booker T. and the other TAG and magnet schools in the district.

They all know the issue. They all have their opinions. There just doesn’t seem to be any real will or enough concern to do anything about it.

Dallas ISD Trustee Edwin Flores, who represents the North Dallas area, is an exception. One of his daughters attended Booker T., he has seen the problem first-hand, and he’s angry about the situation.

“If for every kid that Highland Park sends to Booker T., I could send one of my poor kids to Highland Park — do an even exchange — I’d be OK,” Flores says.

“If we had some kind of reciprocity. But this is not a county school— this is a DISD school, and it bugs me that we knock out kids with potential just because those kids didn’t have the access to the piano teachers, the dance teachers.”

Old 05-18-2019, 02:31 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
This is infuriating indeed and Dallas ISD should stop this system abuse. Same way suburban districts need to tighten up their policies to stop reverse influx, which is even higher. All these parents on both sides are manipulating the system and cheating taxpayers.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:22 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
An even more outrageous scandal is how many Collin country residents use Parkland on my Dallas County tax dollar.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
An even more outrageous scandal is how many Collin country residents use Parkland on my Dallas County tax dollar.
No. They are using it because Parkland gets our federal tax dollars.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
This is infuriating indeed and Dallas ISD should stop this system abuse. Same way suburban districts need to tighten up their policies to stop reverse influx, which is even higher. All these parents on both sides are manipulating the system and cheating taxpayers.
LOL. Your posts read like a parody.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:57 PM

787 posts, read 1,223,937 times
My favorite was always driving on Lovers (west of 75 in HPISD) and seeing the BTW student sign in a yard facing the street. Kind of brazen display and made me laugh.

Lovejoy charges tuition for out of district students who want to attend. Unfortunately, as the article pointed out, DISD schools are by & large so undesirable that this problem is isolated to only a handful of their campuses & the district has bigger issues to worry about and scant resources to police this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas