Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

When one mentions COL they often focus on housing cost especially getting more house for less money especially if coming from the greater Boston area.

One then has to start to compare other COL living items especially real estate/property taxes.

Once past home purchase and real estate taxes you might be surprised that most everything else cost about the same. A new car, 6 pack of beer, loaf of bread, printer ink, etc.

Many in MA rant and rave about good their schools are with no experience having had children in school in different states. Overall MA schools are good but plenty of other states are good also.

That said if my choices are Plano or Boston, Plano wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Agreed.

I'd pick Plano, too.
Oh, wait. I did.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 AM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
What about extended family? Is that an important aspect of your life? Are they closer to TX?

Old 05-24-2019, 04:08 PM

578 posts, read 479,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
This is really interesting to me. I know nothing about Braintree schools (lived / grew up in Metro West area), but we did live in Dallas for 10 years and Plano schools are considered excellent. The SAT scores line up with what I would have expected, the NY Times analysis not as much (wonder why the divergent results?)
Students in New England states get regional boost while students in the south are discriminated against. At least that's true for Ivy admissions.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Students in New England states get regional boost while students in the south are discriminated against. At least that's true for Ivy admissions.
^This. Asian, middle class, suburban white Texans are not looked favorably at Ivies because of biases and also because they worry about them not enrolling due to high cost or distance from home and lowering colleges yield rates. These families aren’t eligible for much financial aid and Ivies doesn’t have merit scholarships, which makes them unaffordable. Under represented minorities, economically disadvantaged and athletes receive more Ivy acceptances and financial aid.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:26 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyama View Post
Hello everyone. We currently live in Braintree and my husband has an option to relocate to Plano, Texas for a job. We have two kids, one in 4th grade and one in 8th grade. They are doing well both socially and academically in schools here. But we have heard that both Plano and Frisco, where we would purchase a house if decide to make the move, have very good secondary education systems and COL there is much lower.
My questions are:
1. Other than the housing cost, is COL really much lower in Plano/Frisco than in Braintree?
2. Are schools in Plano/Frisco better than the schools in Braintree?
Hope those familiar with both areas can share your opinions to help us to decide if we should uproot the kids and make the move or not. Thanks!

--Priya
How does your 8th grader feel about moving, starting over, leaving friends behind?

We made the move at the same time and even though our son was on board with the move, moving to a new school with 3000 new kids hasn't been easy for him. I thought maybe it was just my kid since he is more of an introvert, but I have since talked with many other moms whose kids have moved here and started at various high school and all said the same thing--it has been very challenging for their child to feel accepted and welcomed. It takes a minimum of two years to adjust.

There is much discussion on these threads about how great DFW high schools are, but not much conversation about how despite the massive influx of newcomers, high schools here are very closed societies.

Just something to think about.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I moved to Plano ISD to start 9th grade and I found the large class size made it easier to find a niche or several groups of friends based on interest and class level.

Sports friends, club friends, and honors/AP class friends.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
How does your 8th grader feel about moving, starting over, leaving friends behind?

We made the move at the same time and even though our son was on board with the move, moving to a new school with 3000 new kids hasn't been easy for him. I thought maybe it was just my kid since he is more of an introvert, but I have since talked with many other moms whose kids have moved here and started at various high school and all said the same thing--it has been very challenging for their child to feel accepted and welcomed. It takes a minimum of two years to adjust.

There is much discussion on these threads about how great DFW high schools are, but not much conversation about how despite the massive influx of newcomers, high schools here are very closed societies.

Just something to think about.
Enrolling into bigger schools is usually easier for newcomers for finding more people, groups, courses, clubs, activities, sports teams and more. Encourage your kid to join few clubs, it may feel intimidating at first but in a couple of weeks he’ll feel like he found his tribe. Drama, choir, newspaper type creative kids are some of the friendliest creatures at every school.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:30 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Enrolling into bigger schools is usually easier for newcomers for finding more people, groups, courses, clubs, activities, sports teams and more. Encourage your kid to join few clubs, it may feel intimidating at first but in a couple of weeks he’ll feel like he found his tribe. Drama, choir, newspaper type creative kids are some of the friendliest creatures at every school.
Yes, he has done all this. He just finished his second year.

Some kids thrive as individuals and not as part of a "group."

Some kids, like my son, were in the popular group and moving away from that is not easy.

My son is making his way, but for many kids it is not as simple as you suggest.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, he has done all this. He just finished his second year.

Some kids thrive as individuals and not as part of a "group."

Some kids, like my son, were in the popular group and moving away from that is not easy.

My son is making his way, but for many kids it is not as simple as you suggest.
I hear you, things work differently for everyone. Teenage is never simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas