Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM

31 posts, read 45,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Can't contest that...as its been a while since I last lived there and amongst AAs, for a number of reasons, there are fewer eligible men than women nationwide. Atlanta, given its number of HBCUs, would like skew that even more.

Talking strictly AA population, I totally agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:30 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
Quote:
People are steering toward just west of downtown but depending on where you work Funky Deep Ellum or over by White Rock Lake Park or up by Richardson are some real nice areas. I work in Richardson. Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned Las Colinas. Its a Master Planned Community in Irving in the northwest area of Dallas County. it has rail access, midway between both airports, and has some huge employers there like Exxon/Mobil, Citibank, Fluor Engineering, 7-11 corporate, Microsoft, La Quita Hotels HQ, Zales, AT&T, Verizon, Kimberly-Clark (Maker of pampers, Kleenex), Container Store. It has the Four Season Resort, thousands of Apartments, Pin Stack bowling, lots of shopping and near five highways.
This is True! don' forget it's on the Dart Line also with easy access to DFW, Love Field, American Airlines arena and other attractions. Las Colinas area of Irving is almost perfect. It's a good example of what Arlington could have been. And might work great for the OP.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:56 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
I lived in D.C., am from Houston and now live in Dallas. . D.C. and Atlanta are the most similar metro areas I know given their size and demographics. Houston is great for its food scene which I would say is the best in the South for overall diversity and quality. Its also the most diverse metro. BUT that said, I'd pick D/FW as my more comfortable as I like that there are some big cities here but also some nice old feel suburbs with their squares, place the lakes and really drive time wise the most centralized, i.e. not more than five hours from most of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and much of Louisiana. Also, in terms of flying there are more flights out of D/FW than all sunbelt cities but Atlanta and there is plenty capacity available to grow connections at D/FW International. Also D/FW has the most diverse economy which is good in terms of have a stable employment base.
You hit the nail right there. Now that i'm getting older and have a family DFW is looking more desirable of a place to call home than Houston. No knock against Houston but I like DFW suburbs better and like the fact it has a diverse economy. And DFW International airport is much better than IAH. Can't forget about the commute as well, not ideal but I find driving in DFW to be easier than Houston. I know DFW isn't the most popular city with Black People(mostly due to a lack of presence in pop culture) but it's very slept on for what it offers. I think it's starting to come around now that DFW can offer a Black family more than enough to be satisfied calling this place home.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:43 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,882 times
I’ve shared my thoughts earlier in this thread. A factual item to add is IAH is 1 of 2 airports in the US that flies direct to all 6 inhabited continents. The 2nd airport is Ohare. Not even the world’s busiest airport (ATL) offers this service. I get this factoid won’t sway your relocation decision... Good luck!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,354 times
Ronda, thanks for starting this thread! I'm moving to Dallas at the end of the month and this has been helpful. I decided to use an apt hunter since I only had a three week turnaround. I'm mostly considering Addison, Oaklawn, and Knox Henderson areas.

Feel free to reach out if you're looking for someone to go out with. I'm in a similar situation as you and I will only know one person in Dallas before moving.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 844 times
I’m a single, 33 year old African American woman living in the Addison/Galleria area. I’ve been in Dallas for a long time now, so if you have any other questions let me know! There’s some good advice in here.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,862 times
This is a fantastic post! I will be moving to Dallas at the top of the year, and this has been so helpful for narrowing down an area to live in. Thanks Ronda!

Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 AM

402 posts, read 369,745 times
Would love to hear if the OP has made the move yet. One of my best friends moved to Dallas 4+ years ago from Charlotte, and loves it. He shared with me for him the change has been more about socioeconomics than anything. He is single, mid 30s AA in the mortgage industry, and lives in a condo building where he is one of maybe 4 minorities. It doesn't bother him because that is his work setting, however I could see how that could effect some.

That said, he also has dated women of all cultures his entire life, and his dating life improved when he moved to Dallas. He is in a serious relationship now, and should they decide to get married, he's already talked about selling the condo and moving to the burbs.

He is trying to talk me into relocating to Dallas over Phoenix/Scottsdale or somewhere else, as my new opportunity will allow me to work 100 percent remote.

I wish you the best OP and am looking forward to hearing how things go once you settle down.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 11,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
Wanted to get input on moving from Arizona to Dallas Texas. Multitude of reasons why I want to move but let’s some it up as a much needed change. I’ve been planing this move for 10 years and now that I’m older I think it’s time . I’m 31 years old, single, no children, masters degree wanting to move to a town similar to Phoenix with cost of living. I’m extra excited about the possibility of being around more African Americans and the dating scene . Can anyone give me their experience on the dating scene in Dallas Texas? This age I’m not too into going to the club although I go here and there, i’m kind of over all of that and ready to settle down and marriage and kids before my eggs expire lol. The dating scene is Arizona is very ughhh. A lot of the men even in there 30’s have nothing together. It’s hard to find someone with triple combo Good job, Car and own place and those are just the basics to start without even going into personalities etc. Hoping Texas will be a good move for me. Seems huge I don’t know what part to move in Dallas . My job would transfer me to 75244 zip code I believe. I heard Addison and farmers branch is a little more upscale. The perfect location for me is a location that has some successful African American middle age men between 30-40 of good quality and also has weekend activities that are not to far whether it’s paint and sit, day drinking places, top golf, etc . Phoenix doesn’t have a lot of entertainment but I’m fine being a home body but can’t meet people at home . What cities or zip codes or areas in Dallas would you recommend ?
Don't. Do. It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas