Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

Even in a relatively high-risk area like DFW (which should tell you how high the overall risk is given how many people have actually been affected by one), building a house with a safe room or inground shelter and adding hurricane clips to the roof during construction is all I would ever do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:44 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
When you drive through Oklahoma, notice how many homes there have an underground tornado shelter out in the yard. Hint: MOST of them! It is much more cost-effective to do this than to try and build a house that is tornado-proof. Underground is really the only safe place from a F5 tornado.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If mass builders start offering different options, more people may consider it and more labor will be trained, there will be more research, more materials will come to the market, eventually prices would go down to a reasonable level if not comparable to the current option of match box homes with paper roofs. As of now better construction is not even an option unless you find a high end custom builder who may know or can hire trained labor so of course it’s more expensive.
How many F3-F5 have you and your family been through? How many houses have you built and in what price range?

Your average poster on CD is looking for "safe, cheap, big, good schools" not 800-1mio for a shoe box.

Ft. Worth refused to give us a permit for a FEMA approved tornado shelter. We had to work our way up to the TX State Engineering something.

For those who promote outside shelters - it is so much fun trying to run across the yard with pet carriers and then not being able to get the port hole open because of high winds.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Nobody is suggesting that all buyers would be tripping over each other to buy McBunkers. Original post is about lack of mainstream options for hardy construction. If there are plenty of buyers going crazy over cosmetic fads for 5,000 sq ft houses then likely you’ll have a market for quality construction too. If not for safety, shallow buyers may want to do it to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
In the last eighteen years or so, it looks like those small tornado closets have quadrupled in price. I was going to suggest one, but maybe not. I never worried about it in Dallas because my old house was built like a tank. Now that I've moved north to this windswept prairie, I wouldn't mind having a little one myself.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
On my list of things to fear and do something about tornados are about number 20 and not a worry. When conditions are right fir tornados to form, watch the weather and radar. Channel 8 is my choice. Odds are many things can ruin your day and kill you before a tornado.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How many F3-F5 have you and your family been through? How many houses have you built and in what price range?

Your average poster on CD is looking for "safe, cheap, big, good schools" not 800-1mio for a shoe box.

Ft. Worth refused to give us a permit for a FEMA approved tornado shelter. We had to work our way up to the TX State Engineering something.

For those who promote outside shelters - it is so much fun trying to run across the yard with pet carriers and then not being able to get the port hole open because of high winds.

You don't need EF3-5 to cause damage. I had EF1 through my house, and it caused enough, had to deal with it for months. Also messed up about 200 houses in the neighborhood. There would be no effect on a solidly built house.

Also, it is not only about tornadoes. Termites don't eat concrete walls. Proper foundation does not require "watering", it just does not move; and so on.

Oh, forgot an important one, second floor does not appear to collapse, when your kid jumps on it. It's a slab...

Old 05-24-2019, 06:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
If insurance companies offered incentives for things such as cable ties and hurricane clips homeowners would be more likely to do them. We were originally going to build a custom home and went as far as buying the land, getting the survey done for foundation recommendations, designing the home and hiring a builder. When we were interviewing builders the builder we chose told us he had a system he offered to ground the entire home in case there's a lightning strike. He said that there wasn't nearly as much interest in it as he expected.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
800k for 1700 sqf not to mention typos.
Bingo. And I question any builder making the claim that these homes are "tornado proof". There's no such thing. Looks good on paper though.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:31 AM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
In the last eighteen years or so, it looks like those small tornado closets have quadrupled in price. I was going to suggest one, but maybe not. I never worried about it in Dallas because my old house was built like a tank. Now that I've moved north to this windswept prairie, I wouldn't mind having a little one myself.
Check around - some counties offer substantial incentives to promote ownership of tornado shelters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: