Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM

21 posts, read 19,258 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Recently my neighbor cut down a tree in their backyard that blocked their kid's window from overlooking my back yard. Now the kids are watching it completely unobstructed from their second story window and my daughter is apprehensive swimming in the pool because she thinks she saw them with a camera. I erected a privacy screen on the fence to block them but now I'm getting code enforcement saying I can't have anything attached to the fence. If I make it a stand alone structure next to the fence about 12 feet high can the city stop me? I've tried to go to my neighbors to talk about their boys but they refuse to discuss it. We have no HOA so this would be city only. We are in Dallas County and city.

Appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:37 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Speak to code enforcement and ask about a variance that will allow you to add something to your fence. And ask about options if you are denied that variance. Depending on what you put in place inside the fence they may be able to stop you due to setback issues. Or you may be able to request a variance for that.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
You really need to talk to code enforcement, I've seen quite a few houses with shade cloth banners.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:48 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
Can you build or plant a barrier closer to the pool?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Can you build or plant a barrier closer to the pool?
I've got privacy trees that are growing but it will be another year before they block the window.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
I've got privacy trees that are growing but it will be another year before they block the window.
Are they perhaps downwind of your house?

If so, I had the same kind of issue with a prior neighbor (teenage son would play super loud profane rap when they were gone - many times with the windows open), so I rolled my offset smoker over onto that side of the yard and would burn copious amounts of damp wood that billowed smoke directly at their windows.

Problem solved when they came over to complain, I reiterated my original concern.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Are they perhaps downwind of your house?

If so, I had the same kind of issue with a prior neighbor (teenage son would play super loud profane rap when they were gone - many times with the windows open), so I rolled my offset smoker over onto that side of the yard and would burn copious amounts of damp wood that billowed smoke directly at their windows.

Problem solved when they came over to complain, I reiterated my original concern.
Unfortunately no but I applaud an innovative solution

I'm trying to figure out what the rules are in Dallas if I had to erect some poles in the yard away from the fence but I can't find the language on Dallas' city website.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 PM

I would go for the shoot first, ask questions later approach with a shade sail. I'm sure there would be a way for you to angle it to protect the pool from view and not get too tall. As a side benefit, it should help shade the pool and keep it from turning into bathwater in July.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 PM

I received the notice today. There is nothing marked as a violation only that I need a permit to have something attached to the fence. Does anyone know how the city reacts to permits? Is it a waste of time or will they actually listen? I only need this up for another year so I'm hoping that will work in my favor.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
I received the notice today. There is nothing marked as a violation only that I need a permit to have something attached to the fence. Does anyone know how the city reacts to permits? Is it a waste of time or will they actually listen? I only need this up for another year so I'm hoping that will work in my favor.
9/10 times they don’t even look at the permit filing for something like this. It’s just rubber stamped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: