Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Re-read what he guy wrote about ten posts back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Those Trinity River "suspension" bridges are more than problem than Klyde Warren Park, which even then still went to the already wealthy North Dallas. What if that was built over I-35 first instead?
This? It's true.

Uptown is wealthy and tied in with the northern half of of the city which it is part of. KWP was a great idea, but it didn't do anything for the southern half of the city which is cut off from downtown too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM

317 posts, read 228,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Property taxes are high because Dallas has ignored the southern half of the city for decades. The northern half has picked up most of the tax burden due to it having the vast majority of the investment and established businesses/higher income earners. Now, it’s starting to bite the city in the butt. We have to pay higher taxes due to that.

Schools have nothing to do with the city, since they’re independent. The state of Dallas ISD is directly due to the vast majority of higher income people pulling their kids out of the district. Dallas ISD is a majority minority lower income district. When higher income people leave any school district, it suffers greatly. This has been a demographic trend since the 1970s.

If Dallas does become the next Detroit, the whole region would decline. I think many fail to realize this. Like I’ve said in a previous thread, Dallas is the anchor city and the suburbs are extensions of Dallas. If the anchor dies or declines so will the suburbs. You cannot have strong prosperous suburbs with a weak anchor city. Dallas is why companies come to the Metroplex, even if they decide to go the suburbs.

Crime is starting to spike due to Dallas having a shortage of officers. Dallas once had the lowest officer pay in North Texas. Many of the officers left and went to the suburbs for a higher salary.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Dallas will become the next Detroit/Chicago, but as a native Dallasite and one who has been watching the politics in Dallas city/county. It is something to keep your eye on. I’m personally not pleased with the performance of the city council/mayor and was highly annoyed at last night’s election of our new mayor. I hate to say this...but I feel like they’re trying to run this city into the ground. My opinion can change, if I see what happens when the new mayor takes office. As of now, I’m not very happy.
Agreed, i am not confident that Johnson is the man for the job. Losing kingston and Griggs at once is a testament that money speaks louder than anything.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Man, and with the new Mayor, things are definitely going to get worse. $$$ talks.
Lol @ treasurevalley, i swear i dont need to post, because we always have the same thoughts.....scroll up and read my post.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
This whole "world class city" bs has been going on all my life. I don't care if the bridge is a "signature bridge." I just want it to be safe, well maintained and pothole free. When will that "signature" pedestrian bridge be safe for pedestrians? In the meantime, those things that equal quality of life to everyday residents such as libraries, parks, roads, police, and fire continue to be neglected. As someone born in Dallas and who wants the city to be a great place for its residents, it makes me angry. This, more than the cost of housing, is what makes many people like me uninterested in living in Dallas anymore.
Same here, tcualum. I dont buy the brand promise of Dallas. I recently purchased in denton county, because Dallas is going to continue to be Dallas, frustrating, divisive and a 3 step forward, two step back kind of place. It is world class for sure, but me and my dollars are best served in the burbs (value proposition)

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
No, KWP is great. It will absolutely pay itself off.

The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge was a massive waste of money.

The Trolley to Oak Cliff is a massive waste of money.

The Cotton Belt line (Dallas pays for half of dart) is a massive waste of money.

The stupid tollway in the levy, as well as the park that will never be built, are all massive wastes of money.

The dumb fake rapids on the Trinity kayak thing was a massive waste of money.
Yeah the cotton belt will be a huge waste of money. I mean, the TRE is not even poppin like it should be. What would really have set the city up nicely is if the UNT@ Dallas went into West Dallas near trinity groves, if there were a dart stop through irving/west dallas/
Trinity groves/victory park/oak lawn/ uptown/ henderson/lowest greenville/ then over to fair park..... tthat should have been the orange line

Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
You should look up Short North Dallas
Yes short north dallas is a term i haven't heard in over 10 years!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Dallas View Post
With prices getting up near 400 a sq ft in certain areas and high property taxes. Is this sustainable?

Have been warned by several long time Dallas residents that city council is robbing the city blind, schools are in shambles, law enforcement can't keep up and property taxes are being maxed year over year. They've gone as far as to say it will be a Chicago/Detroit type situation bc of the leadership. Is this an exaggeration that if you don't live in UP/HP it's not worth it?

About to go into option period on a home and the comments are making us take a step back.
I’ve made so many replies but have yet to address your original post, forgive my lack of manners.

So, of course what goes up, must come down. But this doesnt always mean all the way down. Dallas prices will be cyclical like everywhere else. When will they turn downward, who knows. If younare considering buying in Dallas, i say buy where it makes you happy. There will be plenty of time tomrecognize any writing on the wall that may signal its time to abort mission.

Dallas will continue to spend money in ways that the average citizen disagrees with, but I am sure that is every city. I dont think Dallas is in any immediate danger. Its getting expensive to live there, which will cause those who cant afford it to move, which makes it more desirable for people who can afford it.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Same here, tcualum. I dont buy the brand promise of Dallas. I recently purchased in denton county, because Dallas is going to continue to be Dallas, frustrating, divisive and a 3 step forward, two step back kind of place. It is world class for sure, but me and my dollars are best served in the burbs (value proposition)
You live in Denton county yet you're commenting on Dallas. How ironic! I guess, opinions are like a-holes, everyone got one...

Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Agreed, i am not confident that Johnson is the man for the job. Losing kingston and Griggs at once is a testament that money speaks louder than anything.
Kingston was a loud mouth weasel, you got smoked by him. Good riddance!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Lol @ treasurevalley, i swear i dont need to post, because we always have the same thoughts.....scroll up and read my post.
This is the only thing upon which we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas