Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 PM

104 posts, read 90,311 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are moving to Dallas in the next week or so and have already closed on a home in East Dallas. We are excited to move in, but certainly concerned about increasing violent crime in Dallas. While we've lived in a few cities the last 10 years or so and seen our fair share of crime as a result, it does seem like Dallas crime is some next level crime. We have a high tolerance for shady behavior (e.g. junkies shooting up, homeless people shouting weird things, drunks, etc.), but absolutely no tolerance for violence.

Given that, our big focus is on security. We've already purchased an alarm system with monitoring that includes 4 cameras, 1 security doorbell + camera, enhanced decibel sirens, flood lights, lots of smart lighting, and the usual security (various motion sensors etc). Basically, someone attempting to break in is likely to light and/or wake up/alert the whole neighborhood and then some. This is on purpose, since the police are unlikely to show up. That, and I'd rather it not come down to being forced into using a gun unless there are absolutely no other options.

Our pain point now is the police officer shortage and thus lack of faith in DPD to assist in any type of emergency. So, we're on our own if anything happens it seems. Is there any options here to consider? I know there is neighborhood patrol, but that probably requires buy-in from our neighbors who we do not know yet. Is there any type of patrol or service we could possibly pay for where a private security company acts as a bridge for just us? I've been researching without much luck so figured I'd ask here also.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 05:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Where is the house you’re buying?

If you haven’t bought a home defense firearm yet, you should probably look into it (along with training so you know how to use it). As the saying goes, you may only have seconds to react, while the police are minutes away. Lights and sirens don’t deter someone who is determined to do you harm.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Get a gun, take concealed hand gun classes and visit your gun range to practice.
There's only one person you can trust to protect your family.

When you need help immediately, the police are minutes away.

Welcome to Texas.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Get a 9mm and a shotgun and learn to use them.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Get a gun, take concealed hand gun classes and visit your gun range to practice.
There's only one person you can trust to protect your family.

When you need help immediately, the police are minutes away.

Welcome to Texas.
I'm a Texan just been away for a while. Grew up in North Dallas.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Where is the house you’re buying?

If you haven’t bought a home defense firearm yet, you should probably look into it (along with training so you know how to use it). As the saying goes, you may only have seconds to react, while the police are minutes away. Lights and sirens don’t deter someone who is determined to do you harm.
Not yet. I have shot many guns growing up in Texas, but will need a refresher. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I spend literally ZERO time worrrying about being the victim of violent crime. Even as crime rates (including murder) are rising, there are very few truly “random” violent crimes in Dallas. The majority are drug, gang, or domestic violence related and it seems the majority of random incidents are “wrong time, wrong place” in a rough neighborhood.

Unless you bought a place in one of the truly “block by block” neighborhoods in Old East Dallas, you also have very little to worry about. If you bought anywhere from M Streets stretching over to Old Lake Highlands, your chances of being a violent crime victim are probably the same as wherever you’re moving from that you feel is safe. Now- leave a pair of LV sunnies and a $50 bill in your car’s cup holder and they won’t be there when you get back, but murder/ rape / aggravated assault/ robbery....not worth the energy. You have an alarm, cameras, etc and you’re going to join a local crime patrol if your neighborhood association offers one. That’s plenty. If you want to get a handgun & license, more power to you

Old 06-11-2019, 05:38 AM

33 posts, read 32,897 times
Yes, there has been an increase in crime, but don’t worry too much about it. The media is making it seem like all hell has broken loose here and that is not true. I have lived here for 27 years and I have never been a victim of crime in Dallas.

Just be vigilant on your surroundings, don’t go to areas with high crime at night, and you will be fine. Adding a security system and lights around your home is a good move on your part.

You are not on your own. Again, that is “mean world syndrome” being played out by the media. With not knowing exactly what neighborhood you are living, we cannot help you confirm if there is a neighborhood patrol. I’d suggest getting to know your neighbors and looking for groups on Facebook.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Any interest in a pet dog? Not a toy one, but one that can do some damage? Like a rottweiler or a german shepherd?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
Yes, there has been an increase in crime, but don’t worry too much about it. The media is making it seem like all hell has broken loose here and that is not true. I have lived here for 27 years and I have never been a victim of crime in Dallas.

Just be vigilant on your surroundings, don’t go to areas with high crime at night, and you will be fine. Adding a security system and lights around your home is a good move on your part.

You are not on your own. Again, that is “mean world syndrome” being played out by the media. With not knowing exactly what neighborhood you are living, we cannot help you confirm if there is a neighborhood patrol. I’d suggest getting to know your neighbors and looking for groups on Facebook.
It's a block to block neighborhood. I am comfortable with it after months of analyzing the neighborhood, but just being as safe as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas