Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

All these wrong way drivers are something else, another crash last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
DFW is terrible at getting wrecks removed quickly. It probably costs the region a ton of money in lost productivity. You can't build car-based mobility and then suck at this basic function.

To your other point, I have a coworker who takes the HOV lane to work every day by himself because he knows he will never get busted and in over a year...he hasn't. That's BS.

Atlanta has worse traffic because of their design, but the metroplex manages theirs worse.
That sums it up pretty well. Overall I definitely find it easier to drive get around DFW but yea even the slightest fender bender becomes a joke it seems like. It could be so much better than it currently is.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
To your other point, I have a coworker who takes the HOV lane to work every day by himself because he knows he will never get busted and in over a year...he hasn't. That's BS.
I like the idea of HOV lanes. In practice, I don't think they work. I would like to see HOV lanes converted to general lanes.

In Metro Phoenix, HOV lanes on freeways are HOV between 6-9 am and 3-7 pm. During other times, HOV lanes can be used by one person occupied cars. I thought that was sensible.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I like the idea of HOV lanes. In practice, I don't think they work.
Without either very tough crack downs or a particularly law abiding citizenry, I agree, they don't work.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM

75 posts, read 67,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think it depends where and when you're driving.

The main issues I see on my commute are:

• People doing utterly insane things around 18-wheelers; I see a dozen of them cut off multiple times in any given 30-minute commute.
  • 18-wheelers themselves driving aggressively and tailgating smaller vehicles.
  • People always on their freaking cell phones. PUT THOSE DOWN.
  • Very old vehicles with fake dealer plates on them; these vehicles often have damaged suspensions, broken axles, squealing fan belts, leaks, etc. (If I see an accident or a broken down car on the highway, one of these guys is almost always involved.)
  • Overloaded pickup trucks with flattened leaf springs and poorly-secured loads. I've seen these loads come loose before. It's not pretty. At least once a week I will encounter a truck with a load stacked over 12 feet high. I get away from them as fast as I can.
  • Lawn guys hauling unsecured yard tools in pickup trucks or trailers...and half the time, the trailer is sporting a loose wheel or has wheels that aren't appropriate for highway driving. I try to never end up behind these guys.
  • DEBRIS. Everywhere. All the time. Couches. Mattresses. Plastic lawn furniture. I have personally witnessed two serious accidents caused by mattresses in the road.
I drive a small car so I have a very good sense of what my "place" is. I can't really get away with driving aggressively, bullying other cars, or being a road hog (and I really have no desire to). I'm that dork waving you in if you're sitting there with your blinker on trying to change lanes.

On the other hand if you're the dork doing 50mph in the passing lane when the rest of us are going 70, I will leave you in the dust.

(For context, I mainly use 75 and 635.)
My god the overloaded pickup thing drives me absolutely nuts. More so than anything else because cops are driving next to them and not doing anything. Seen so many things fly out its crazy. Debris is crazy here too, as I have lived in a few other states. Texas roads and ditches are just nasty...like literally nasty compared to other places.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 PM

103 posts, read 60,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
My god the overloaded pickup thing drives me absolutely nuts. More so than anything else because cops are driving next to them and not doing anything. Seen so many things fly out its crazy. Debris is crazy here too, as I have lived in a few other states. Texas roads and ditches are just nasty...like literally nasty compared to other places.
Like this?

Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post
Like this?
That is definitely a road hazard.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM

103 posts, read 60,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That is definitely a road hazard.
Every damn day. And thats the least of our concerns on 635.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post
Like this?
Yup, I see that kind of stuff regularly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas