Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 AM

312 posts, read 367,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardrew View Post
The numbers for UIL realignment are based on total students in 9-12.

https://realignment.uiltexas.org/ali...ha_2018-20.pdf

For the last UIL Realignment:
Allen 6,664 Students
Plano 5,197.5 (I don't know how the get fractional students)
Plano E 5,342.5
Plano W 5,654

Total: 22,858

212 1A Schools maximum population is 22,260 (using 105 instead of 104.9999 students)

So yes Allen + the 3 Plano schools is more than all 212 1A schools.

Allen and the 3 planos are the 4 biggest schools in Texas, About 80 of the 1A shools have 50 or less students so in reality the 4 biggest school have far more students thatn the 212 smallest schools.

I am not claiming that no one from 1A schools went to UT or A&M.

But the main point of that story is that around 44% of Texas high schools do not send students to UT or A&M.

I'm saying that fact can be incredibly deceptive when 4 of the High schools combined have more than 212 other high schools combined.

They need to give a lot more detail to support their conclusion than just the number of high schools that do not send kids to UT or A&M
Wow, the 1A schools are small. I also wonder how many of the 1A schools are within commuting distance of UT and A&M and thus more affordable.

How many of the Cap and PSA students are from large public schools vs. smaller ones? Similar mix of diversity? I've seen that the CAP students do as well at UT-Austin as freshman enrollees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
No, there are not 1A schools near UT or A&M. Most of them are out in West Texas in tiny towns such as Iraan, Garden City, Strawn, etc. The entire school can't have more than 471 students to be a 1A.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
UT was a machine when I went there. You were a nameless face in the crowd and lots of lower-division undergraduate classes were taught by TAs. Lots of required classes had hundreds of people in them, especially non-major science courses.

I went to UT because I got in and because my parents refused to consider sending me to college out of state. Since they were footing the bill, I went along with their wishes and went off to UT.

I didn't really like it. I endured it and graduated, but if I had it to do all over again I don't think I would have gone there.

I definitely didn't go to UT to hang out on Sixth Street (it's boring and noisy), and there's really nothing cool about frat parties. They're also boring and noisy (to me anyway). I was also part of UT's Greek system and it was such a negative experience for me that I have refused to write recommendations for my sorority for the last 20+ years. I have advised parents and kids about to go off to college about the Greek system and to really examine their reasons for wanting to participate. If you go into it with your eyes wide open, you might enjoy it. If you believe the brochures, you're going to be disappointed.

As for student seating at UT football games...have fun watching the game from the end zone. That's about the crappiest seat in the house.

I will add for any top-flight student who didn't get into UT and is crushed about it...don't be. Seriously. Don't be.
I'm not quite as down on my experience as BDG, but I see a lot of similarities to my experience here.

I listened to a college admissions panel that included the head of admissions for UT this year. He said that fewer that 1% of intercollege transfers get approved at UT now. Meaning if you start in Engineering and decided to switch to Business you are SOL. That right there turned me off. One of the major attractions of a school like that is the options available for disciplines. Nearly everyone I know switched majors at one point....

I will not be steering mine to UT.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
I'm not quite as down on my experience as BDG, but I see a lot of similarities to my experience here.

I listened to a college admissions panel that included the head of admissions for UT this year. He said that fewer that 1% of intercollege transfers get approved at UT now. Meaning if you start in Engineering and decided to switch to Business you are SOL. That right there turned me off. One of the major attractions of a school like that is the options available for disciplines. Nearly everyone I know switched majors at one point....

I will not be steering mine to UT.
Wow, that's even worse than it was when I was there. Kind of makes you wonder why people bother with it.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
High schoolers don’t always know their interests and strengths or plethora of opportunities out there. Almost 1/3 undergrads switch their majors. Most good colleges doesn’t require you to commit to a major before end of sophomore year. Usually high schoolers pick majors based on career fantasies, parental pressure, peer influence or limited exposure.

One should keep track of required courses for an intended major but must build a wide foundation and dabble into interesting courses, research,internships before making life long commitments. This is where AP/IB/DE credits provide flexibility as you doesn’t require intro courses and still can graduate on time.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 PM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
High schoolers don’t always know their interests and strengths or plethora of opportunities out there. Almost 1/3 undergrads switch their majors. Most good colleges doesn’t require freshman to commit to a major before end of sophomore year. Usually freshmen pick majors based on career fantasies, parental pressure, peer influence or limited exposure.

One should keep track of required courses for an intended major but must build a wide foundation and dabble into interesting courses, research,internships before making life long commitments.
I agree. I changed my major twice in college. I've been in the workforce for more than five years now. I'm currently getting my masters in something completely different from what I got my degree in and my current job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas