Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...gital-displays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
It's cool, I guess.

The problem is Dallas wouldn't need to shed out so much money to "Help" a company like AT&T renovate downtown if we followed common sense without downtown to begin with. If downtown was more desirable the city wouldn't have to bribe them not to leave.

I love how Dallas and Texans think the next big project will "Save" an area when really you could make small common-sense policy choices.

I'm talking about basic things like requiring scaffolding like a real city to keep sidewalks in the CBD open during construction and not treating like pedestrians, even pedestrians in the most walkable parts of the city as 2nd class citizens.

Not that this is a bad thing, but I wish Dallas cared about the smaller things that add up to more than the sum of their parts.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
agreed 100%

Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM

355 posts, read 469,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's cool, I guess.

Not that this is a bad thing, but I wish Dallas cared about the smaller things that add up to more than the sum of their parts.
Right on the money.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It's cool, I guess.

The problem is Dallas wouldn't need to shed out so much money to "Help" a company like AT&T renovate downtown if we followed common sense without downtown to begin with. If downtown was more desirable the city wouldn't have to bribe them not to leave.

I love how Dallas and Texans think the next big project will "Save" an area when really you could make small common-sense policy choices.

I'm talking about basic things like requiring scaffolding like a real city to keep sidewalks in the CBD open during construction and not treating like pedestrians, even pedestrians in the most walkable parts of the city as 2nd class citizens.

1. The project is cool period.
2. I certainly didn't claim or imply this project would save anything.
3. AT&T moved here right at 10 years ago - there has been zero threat claiming they might leave.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. The project is cool period.
2. I certainly didn't claim or imply this project would save anything.
3. AT&T moved here right at 10 years ago - there has been zero threat claiming they might leave.
1) For the easily impressed, maybe.

2) No, but the Dallas establishment hyping it sure seems to imply that.

3) Wrong.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...owntown-dallas

"AT&T announced about 18 months ago that it would keep its world headquarters downtown after looking at options in the suburbs."

^That seems to indicate they might leave the CBD....

If they had done things well from the beginning the city wouldn't be worried about them leaving, but Downtown Dallas is one of the worst CBDs in the country for a lot of reasons, first and foremost the fact that they quite frankly don't care or think about pedestrians. (as evidenced by not requiring keeping all sidewalks open during construction.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:36 PM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Treasurevalley92 - But AT&T didn't leave and now they are building this big business park. This investment tells me they aren't leaving any time soon. What's with the negativity?

I find this project cool as well and look forward to checking it out once it's complete.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Treasurevalley92 - But AT&T didn't leave and now they are building this big business park. This investment tells me they aren't leaving any time soon. What's with the negativity?

I find this project cool as well and look forward to checking it out once it's complete.
Yeah, I'm glad they are staying. I'm glad Dallas was able to sell them on staying. I was just correcting EDS who incorrectly claimed they were not considering leaving the CBD.

All I'm saying is I wish Dallas would take its own downtown seriously and do the small things well enough that it doesn't take these massive investments to convince people to stay in the CBD.

Dallas lives for the big project while neglecting the finer details.

Just look at the "Dallas Hates Pedestrians" series in D Mag. It's up to 27 posts. There is a multitude of small things that actual world-class cities just intuitively do that for some reason Dallas does not, like, keeping sidewalks open.

The establishment always brings up how this or that large project will make Dallas "World Class" when the city regularly makes being a pedestrian in the densest areas a hazard.

A 100 million-dollar pedestrian mall will not fix this.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm glad they are staying. I'm glad Dallas was able to sell them on staying. I was just correcting EDS who incorrectly claimed they were not considering leaving the CBD.

All I'm saying is I wish Dallas would take its own downtown seriously and do the small things well enough that it doesn't take these massive investments to convince people to stay in the CBD.

Just look at the "Dallas Hates Pedestrians" series in D Mag. It's up to 27 posts. There is a multitude of small things that actual world-class cities just intuitively do that for some reason Dallas does not, like, keeping sidewalks open.

The establishment always brings up how this or that large project will make Dallas "World Class" when the city regularly makes being a pedestrian in the densest areas a hazard.

All of my life, this has been one of the biggest problems with Dallas. While it's great that Dallas is an ambitious city that wishes to become "world class," this ambition all too often comes at the price of what ordinary citizens need. Imagine what the money spent on all sorts of failed "world class" projects could have done to improve the quality of life in the city?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:

1). AT&T wasn't going anywhere.
2). The city does not exist to make you or the 27 D Magazine posters happy.
3). Sidewalk scaffolding? Although sometimes it's unavoidable............no thanks. It's too windy too often and generally anyway there isn't enough pedestrian density around here to justify the increased risks.

The crane that fell the other week could have been a huge section of scaffolding as easily.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...225612725.html
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...313-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas