Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Well, I was too hasty and assumed she 99% in PSAT, sorry.

As for elite college - define elite.
My daughter had scores and percentile allowing her to get to any college in US; most of them solicited her with "guaranteed admission" letters. But we did research on Ivy League colleges and her and ours verdicts was quite the same - sane person should not go there. Well, unless you are targeting politics or ok to have peers that are politicians.

Just one example: in Harvard they weed out the lowest achieving students. To get ahead of the crop most students try to bring their peers down. For example, pour some wrong chemical into your mix while you stepped for a new one, etc. This is not an environment good person want to be in. Other Ivy League colleges have their own "perks" that are not to be discussed when children are present, etc.
By elite, I meant selective ones and as she is only in 7th grade, it’s hard to predict which colleges she’ll target or get in, let alone pick to enroll. Her parents shouldn’t eliminate any of her options at this early stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 03:47 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Also we are not thinking Ivy League schools. A solid state school would work really well for her.
Then don't worry at all.
Well, I'd only recommend two things.
1) Math is the subject that is priceless in terms of setting right approach to any problem. In other words, if formats the brain the proper way. Unfortunately, I didn't see the school here that can really teach it. All one gets it short explanation in a textbook and lots of busy homework. That does not help at all. Math concepts are very simple, but the way they are explained in a standard books is horrible and unacceptable. So, my advice would be to find someone really talented in teaching math. It could be even some HS student, yourself, your neighbor, or some expensive tutor. They key is - talented in teaching. The whole HS AP calculus course can be explained in just 40-60 hours and - this is important - completely understood by any student, if teacher is good.

2) Did you consider online school? For kids that are either shy, or have a target to achieve online schools are the best. They allow you to manage time any way that is convenient for you, have mostly good kids in them, and your child is not exposed to all the dangers of HS and "peer pressure".

Old 08-07-2019, 03:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
Quote:
Well, I was too hasty and assumed she 99% in PSAT, sorry.

As for elite college - define elite.
My daughter had scores and percentile allowing her to get to any college in US; most of them solicited her with "guaranteed admission" letters. But we did research on Ivy League colleges and her and ours verdicts was quite the same - sane person should not go there. Well, unless you are targeting politics or ok to have peers that are politicians.

Just one example: in Harvard they weed out the lowest achieving students. To get ahead of the crop most students try to bring their peers down. For example, pour some wrong chemical into your mix while you stepped for a new one, etc. This is not an environment good person want to be in. Other Ivy League colleges have their own "perks" that are not to be discussed when children are present, etc.

Can you share where you found this info ?

Old 08-07-2019, 04:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:

2) Did you consider online school? For kids that are either shy, or have a target to achieve online schools are the best. They allow you to manage time any way that is convenient for you, have mostly good kids in them, and your child is not exposed to all the dangers of HS and "peer pressure".
That would not be a good fit for her. She is an extrovert; she loves playing with the band; she aims to play a sport at the HS level.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
It was some paper book we were reading about college admissions; but since it was >10 years ago I don't think I can even remember the title. I just remember we were astonished by such behavior and by the fact that it even made it to the book.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That would not be a good fit for her. She is an extrovert; she loves playing with the band; she aims to play a sport at the HS level.
Well, then I hope brick-and-mortar HS would be good to her. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Also we are not thinking Ivy League schools. A solid state school would work really well for her.

She may have different plans later but state school make things easier. She can enjoy life, just keep rank high. If you can’t qualify for enough financial aid then she’ll have to prepare for a good PSAT/SAT as well to qualify for merit scholarships.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Unless really necessary for some reason, regular school is better to learn many life skills and keep a healthy social life.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I want to know as well. Not fitting in, dropping out, struggling academically, getting depressed, starting alcohol or drugs type things happen at all colleges, even community colleges and less selective universities too.

I wonder why he is singling out top colleges. It’s not like everyone there is an academic genius, every year significant percentage of non-academic holistic admits manages to survive and graduate.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Your daughter should take as many or as few Pre-AP courses as she can handle. My oldest is in five, and it’s just at her highest threshold.

It doesn’t really matter too much during middle school, but taking as many Pre-APs and APs as possible will help when it’s time for kids to apply for colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: