Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM

21 posts, read 16,082 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to relocate to TX with my teen who is in HS. She is into drawing, digital art, creative but also into robotics and choir. I am in the tech field. State college and airport no more than 40 min away. I would like something no more than 500,000 for a house top 8,000 ish for tax. I would also like someplace that has a 50-55 aged single scene to meet new friends. We love to swim and cycle. What do you all do when you crave the beach? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:11 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,177,012 times
So you want Texas but haven't settled on a city - Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio ?

Why Texas ? How would it be better than where you are?

Old 08-08-2019, 03:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,017,666 times
This should be in the Texas forum, not the Dallas forum.

OP, what grade is your daughter in? When do you plan to move? It isn't always easy to move in HS. Texas HSs start going back next week.

Having said that, my short answer is "Austin."

Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,840,169 times
/The OP has also posted this same request in a North Carolina forum./

Not knowing you, we can't do your homework for you. Does you student do better with a small school or a larger school? How important are the state college and airport nearness? Only you can know.

Also, unless you have a job and know its location, it is hard to tell you a specific area or school. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is larger than the state of Connecticut. Are you willing to drive a couple of hours commute if your workplace doesn't jive with the school named?

Go to US News and World Report for their rankings if that is all you want.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...kings-overview

Old 08-08-2019, 04:15 PM

427 posts, read 488,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

OP, what grade is your daughter in? When do you plan to move? It isn't always easy to move in HS. Texas HSs start going back next week.

Yep, based on the details OP gave, Austin comes close in TX

Old 08-08-2019, 04:19 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,131,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfam View Post
Hello, I am looking to relocate to TX with my teen who is in HS. She is into drawing, digital art, creative but also into robotics and choir. I am in the tech field. State college and airport no more than 40 min away. I would like something no more than 500,000 for a house top 8,000 ish for tax. I would also like someplace that has a 50-55 aged single scene to meet new friends. We love to swim and cycle. What do you all do when you crave the beach? Thank you.
I’ll play along and work with given data.

Housing: Budget $500K + Property Tax <$8K with “best” schools and <40 min commute to DFW

Parent: Single parent, age 50+, needs a tech job and dating scene, Love’s to swim & cycle, occasionally craves beach

Child : One high school age daughter interested in art, choir and robotics, will attend state college near home

All three major metroplex of Texas can provide you such house, tech job, dating scene, good school (with extracurriculars), swimming, pool/bike trails, state college and airport but only Houston area can offer proximity to a beach

If beach cravings aren’t as frequent then Austin and Dallas areas are contenders too. We can’t help with Houston or Austin but if they zoom in on our metroplex then we can offer several options.

Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Allen and Coppell should meet most of their requirements from school to college and work, if parent can find a job in this area.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,536,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfam View Post
Sounds like Austin is the obvious case, but any large city in Texas would work. Do you mean State College, Texas or a public university in Texas? Either way you’re limiting your daughter's options. There are plenty of good public and private universities across Texas and country that will be more than forty minutes away.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
So you want Texas but haven't settled on a city - Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio ?

Why Texas ? How would it be better than where you are?
I have not been yet but have heard good things about it.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Yes, you are correct since I am asking about areas outside of Dallas. I did not think of that.

Austin -- is it safe from crime and what is the commute like? It seems housing in the suburbs is very expensive, going into the millions in West Lake Hills, etc...and traffic?

Maybe there is an area to explore I am not familiar with?

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
/The OP has also posted this same request in a North Carolina forum./

Not knowing you, we can't do your homework for you. Does you student do better with a small school or a larger school? How important are the state college and airport nearness? Only you can know.

Also, unless you have a job and know its location, it is hard to tell you a specific area or school. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is larger than the state of Connecticut. Are you willing to drive a couple of hours commute if your workplace doesn't jive with the school named?

Go to US News and World Report for their rankings if that is all you want.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...kings-overview
Yes I am not certain yet where I will relocate. I am looking at NC, MA, TX...

I would prefer to travel 90 minutes or less, more like 60 or less, to work as I have a teen and I am the only/widowed parent. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas