Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 10,319 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Richardson; we are a same sex, immigrant household and we love it! I love the fact that it’s so diverse; there are loads of great restaurants here and I feel as if the people who live here really care about it.

Also; I commute to Irving every day, now granted I work second shift so the traffic isn’t too bad, but I’ve done it in rush hour too and while it’s not pleasant; I also didn’t feel like I wanted to kill my self either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:30 PM

188 posts, read 230,960 times
I like Richardson and would recommend you look at the city but the traffic to Irving can be staggering at times during rush hour. Even getting from the major roads to a centralized street in Richardson can be 20+ minutes in rush hour. Lots of stop and go and intentionally short lights. One of my commutes takes me through Richardson -- off peak it's pretty much 18 minutes. During peak 35-40minutes. It's 12 mi door-to-door.

I would look at Carrollton, Dallas (of course!), Coppell, Irving/LC. Lots of great areas in all the cities and lots of areas to stay away from

Old 08-12-2019, 08:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So i'm here in Houston and my job just offered me a new higher position at a location 25 minutes from Richardson. I'm really considering Richardson because I like the location and the schools in that area. Last week we visited family in DFW and drove through Richardson and it seemed fairly nice and quiet but didn't get that great of a feel for the area. We were honestly looking at Grand Prairie/Mansfield originally for a possible move but came to the conclusion that the area doesn't work for us. Too isolated and too far from the city. Richardson would be a top pick but I would like to know more about the area from people who live there or lived there. It's me, my wife and a 2 year old. Thanks in advance!
You'd have no issues in Richardson at all. I've lived in Richardson for over 10 years and people are (at least superficially) nice. You wouldn't have any issues in my neighborhood at all. We'd love to have you.

That said, a daily drive to Irving from Richardson would be...erm...unpleasant. Depending on the time of day and where in Irving the position is, you're looking at at least 30 minutes door to door. LBJ Texpress isn't really an option unless you want to pay $10+ per day in toll fees, and even then it's only useful from 635/35 to 635/Coit. You'd still do battle on the high 5 and 75 every day.

On the other hand, Richardson is a great central location and unless you plan on retiring at your current job, you'd at least be in a good spot for future commutes.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Carrollton/Farmers Branch is affordable and close to Irving. There is a new housing development in Farmers Branch on the NW side of 635 and 35 that feed into CFBISD. However, the schools in that area are technically in Irving. They have good ratings.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Richardson is a great area but if my job is in Irving there are many nice areas closer that I don't have to fight as much traffic every day. Try flower mound, coppel, grapevine and even Irving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Op since the job is Irving. I would recommend Euless. It’s a diverse town with a good school district. It will also be a very short commute for your husband.
I would add Farmer's Branch to the list. Easy access to both irving and Dallas.

Richardson wouldn't be an awful commute to Irving, but it is still worth looking closer.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You'd have no issues in Richardson at all. I've lived in Richardson for over 10 years and people are (at least superficially) nice. You wouldn't have any issues in my neighborhood at all. We'd love to have you.

That said, a daily drive to Irving from Richardson would be...erm...unpleasant. Depending on the time of day and where in Irving the position is, you're looking at at least 30 minutes door to door. LBJ Texpress isn't really an option unless you want to pay $10+ per day in toll fees, and even then it's only useful from 635/35 to 635/Coit. You'd still do battle on the high 5 and 75 every day.

On the other hand, Richardson is a great central location and unless you plan on retiring at your current job, you'd at least be in a good spot for future commutes.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
OP- Don't need to repeat what everyone said about how wonderful Richardson is in all ways, but as far as commute, I wanted to give you specific personal experience:

I worked in Las Colinas (Williams Square- famous building with the horses in front that they show during football games) for 3 years. My commute was 14.4 miles. One way that was 1 hour 15 minutes average
I now work on the east side of Garland, which also happens to be 14.4 miles door to door, oddly enough. My commute is now 25 minutes each way (unless there is an accident of course).

Someone would have to offer me a lot of money and any plastic surgery I wanted for free in order to make that commute to LC ever again!

Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM

17 posts, read 17,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I worked in Las Colinas (Williams Square- famous building with the horses in front that they show during football games) for 3 years. My commute was 14.4 miles. One way that was 1 hour 15 minutes average
Hey that is the building I worked in as well when I had my god awful commute. I think the way Las Colinas is laid out is the cause of the horrible traffic flow. Sitting on 114 or 183 was just soul crushing. I remember that bad snow storm we had a few years ago, it took me 4+ hours just to get from Las Colinas to the otherside of downtown Dallas. Words cannot describe what I was feeling sitting in that car.

Sorry for derailing the conversation.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I have family in Carrollton so i'm really familiar with that area. I haven't looked into Farmers Branch or Euless or any of the other areas mentioned but I will look into that. I honestly really liked Richardson cause of the close proximity to Addison but commute can definitely affect how I feel about living in a city. I know that all too well here in Houston so i'll look into the other areas as well. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
Farmers Branch is a great location. And can work out great if you have kids who want to get into UT Austin majoring in basket weaving. Maybe struggle for engineering or business though.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I have family in Carrollton so i'm really familiar with that area. I haven't looked into Farmers Branch or Euless or any of the other areas mentioned but I will look into that. I honestly really liked Richardson cause of the close proximity to Addison but commute can definitely affect how I feel about living in a city. I know that all too well here in Houston so i'll look into the other areas as well. Thanks!
FYI, Addison is literally sandwiched between Richardson and Carrollton, so Carrollton would offer the same easy drive to Addison while also offering an equally easy commute to Irving. However there is a clear difference in both price and overall quality between different parts of Carrollton so you will need a knowledgeable realtor. You didn’t list a budget as that would tell us very quickly if you could afford the better parts of Carrollton or if your money is better spent in a different city.
Farmers Branch certainly offers a good commute to Irving, but I don’t think the schools are that great tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas