Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times

Advertisements

This is great...

“North Texas homeowners can no longer take advantage of a “free roof” under a new law that goes into effect Sept. 1.Under Texas House Bill 2102 approved in the most recent legislative session, roofing contractors who offer to waive a homeowner’s deductible on their property insurance policy could face jail time.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Just for fun I read the law, and while it appears to be fixing a loophole that permits "insurance fraud" it's really just to prevent the loss of sales tax money on that $2,000 average deductible.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
Glad I just got mine done

Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
Very few roofers allow this to happen anymore. If they do, you probably don't want the quality of work you're getting.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It is insurance fraud and I'm glad they are finally prosecuting it.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:20 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Nothing and no service worth having is "Free". The roofers who used this ploy certainly made sure their contracts covered them from being nailed for insurance fraud. Some if not most even failed to properly perform the job or used other than acceptable materials and methods for the job or substituted cheaper materials all in an effort to defray that insurance deductible they supposedly absorbed.

These "Free" roof jobs only placed the consumer directly in the crosshairs for insurance fraud charges and this law does nothing more than prevent that.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 PM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
Some of the contracts I've read state they will pay me an advertising fee for placing their sign in my yard for 30 days. That is certainly legal and none I have dealt with offer "free" (aka deductible waive).

So I ask this: If I find a roofer to do the job cheaper than what the insurance paid me, is that fraud?

Old 08-16-2019, 06:20 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
Some of the contracts I've read state they will pay me an advertising fee for placing their sign in my yard for 30 days. That is certainly legal and none I have dealt with offer "free" (aka deductible waive).

So I ask this: If I find a roofer to do the job cheaper than what the insurance paid me, is that fraud?

That is a question you should ask your insurance provider/Agent. However keep in mind that insurance underwriters are not in a habit of paying out more than it actually costs to replace what is currently there and damaged. If anything they would be on the lesser cost side. They have fairly accurate cost guides they use. If you are talking a few dollars below what the underwriter pays out then that is entirely possible. If you're talking hundreds below what the insurance company is quoting as replacement cost then you should closely check what that roofer is actually going to do and what materials they plan to use.

Advertising fees are not uncommon for placing signs in your yard but they are not necessarily large amounts. If it is a large amount again you need to be careful they are not trying to hide the "Free Roof" concept inside their "Advertising Fee" program. It will all wash out the same and you do pay for it in the end.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
It's not insurance fraud unless you are somehow falsifying the damage. If you have legitimate damage to your roof, an agent for your insurance comes out determines its covered and calculates a settlement they have complete control of the process. How are they defrauded? The "no deductible" isn't money that the insurance is losing. It's the contractor discounting their service by the amount of the deductible. There is legitimate argument that the quality might be sub par if the contractor is cutting the price but it's not insurance fraud.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
It has always been that way. They cut costs somewhere to give you the deductible. Don't fall for a scam, find an honest roofer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas