Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Dallas is a nice place but I would move to Orlando. It is a more exciting place and growing just as fast. If you live up around Lake Mary you will be closer to the beach as well. Winters in Dallas can be rather cold and you are trying to escape the cold. Yes Frisco is a nice place and Dallas is more of an economic powerhouse than Orlando but there is a heck of a lot to do in Orlando. Plus your not far from Miami(look up the brightline train) and Orlando has all the natural springs. Plus Tampa is nearby. Come on , dont you want to be around those paml trees and sunshine and have a nice warm winter? Thats why New Yorkers love FLorida. Orlando is really a cool and fun place. In Dallas it is more of a corporate scene where jobs and work prevail. Isn't that the same as up there in NY? A bustling City where everyone is focused on work and money? Do you want to go right back to the place you left? But still have less of it?
This. VERY Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I agree that you should consider ATL. My sister in an Atlanta suburb and she says the Indian community is strong and cricket is popular.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Dallas is a nice place but I would move to Orlando. It is a more exciting place and growing just as fast. If you live up around Lake Mary you will be closer to the beach as well. Winters in Dallas can be rather cold and you are trying to escape the cold. Yes Frisco is a nice place and Dallas is more of an economic powerhouse than Orlando but there is a heck of a lot to do in Orlando. Plus your not far from Miami(look up the brightline train) and Orlando has all the natural springs. Plus Tampa is nearby. Come on , dont you want to be around those paml trees and sunshine and have a nice warm winter? Thats why New Yorkers love FLorida. Orlando is really a cool and fun place. In Dallas it is more of a corporate scene where jobs and work prevail. Isn't that the same as up there in NY? A bustling City where everyone is focused on work and money? Do you want to go right back to the place you left? But still have less of it?
I'm surprised that the OP has not considered Houston! Same latitude, beaches, etc. but in an economic powerhouse. Dallas and Atlanta are the southern-most parts of the Half-Back region at that latitude, so the OP will be experiencing slightly more severe winter weather than accustomed.

Funny the OP mentioned cricket. Tanweer Ahmed, a local Pakistani businessman, has been trying to promote cricket in Houston. He's building a giant cricket complex in suburban NW Houston after frustration due to a lack of facilities to play his favorite sport. It was a big deal in the news cycle this time last year.

Here are a few articles:
https://www.chron.com/business/artic...n-13082900.php

https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...-teams-houston

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Ho...489057221.html

Old 08-19-2019, 02:02 PM

290 posts, read 369,300 times
Basically there are four strong, vibrant, huge Indian communities in the south. Raleigh-Research Triangle, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Austin and Richmond have smaller Indian communities but still significant. Tampa I believe has the biggest Indian community in Florida but the size is nowhere close to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Raleigh Research Triangle.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'm surprised that the OP has not considered Houston! Same latitude, beaches, etc. but in an economic powerhouse. Dallas and Atlanta are the southern-most parts of the Half-Back region at that latitude, so the OP will be experiencing slightly more severe winter weather than accustomed.

Funny the OP mentioned cricket. Tanweer Ahmed, a local Pakistani businessman, has been trying to promote cricket in Houston. He's building a giant cricket complex in suburban NW Houston after frustration due to a lack of facilities to play his favorite sport. It was a big deal in the news cycle this time last year.

Here are a few articles:
https://www.chron.com/business/artic...n-13082900.php

https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...-teams-houston

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Ho...489057221.html
OP is from NJ...he's accustomed to winter weather. If anything Orlando/Houston are going to feel absolutely miserable to him. Houston is definitely more of an "economic powerhouse" than Orlando, but not DFW or Atlanta.

As for beaches, Galveston does have them. Whether you actually want to swim in them...

Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 PM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
OP is from NJ...he's accustomed to winter weather. If anything Orlando/Houston are going to feel absolutely miserable to him. Houston is definitely more of an "economic powerhouse" than Orlando, but not DFW or Atlanta.

As for beaches, Galveston does have them. Whether you actually want to swim in them...
agree - Houston is not a good choice than DFW..can always drive to Galveston from Dallas as well...

Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

Economically Houston is equally close to DFW.

The infrastructure for winter weather in the South does suck. No road salt, just sand or chap rock and a lot of resulting accidents on bridges and freeway interchange flyovers. Chicago is much easier to drive around in winter time because of the materials and maintenance of the road crews. You do get what you pay for with low taxes!

Luckily, it hovers around freezing in Houston so that the ice melts once the winter sun comes up at midday. The inland location keeps DFW below freezing, even with the midday winter sun.

The heat and humidity is not much different in both cities. DFW is not as dry as Phoenix! That type of dry along with being inland makes life uncomfortable. (I had a horrible 1-day visit to Phoenix last month.)

Luckily it gets cloudy sometimes in Houston to keep the sun away. It was very comfortable this afternoon--like I was in coastal L.A.--compared to the past few weeks! Looked up that it was sunny today in DFW--ouch!!!

Houston also has lakes in the Piney Woods near the northern suburbs. It's nice to have a choice of both seawater and freshwater recreation, but those amoeba cases last year around Texas (especially that Waco waterpark tragedy) scare me from swimming anywhere else outside a chlorinated swimming pool!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:29 AM

419 posts, read 553,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If you had to travel out of DFW airport 3 times a month, or literally every week, it would be stupid to live in Allen or Frisco. Especially with all the other things he listed.
Allen especially has no advantage in any of the factors he mentioned.
DFWUser can sound like a bit of a homer sometimes but I have to stick up for them here. He talks about what he knows. I have never lived in Coppell or spent much time there,so why would I say it's going to be a good fit? We live in Allen, in the exact area he is talking about. I think it's a great option as well except for the home value appreciation aspect OP is looking for. I think we have already seen the majority of any real growth and prices have stagnated, if not dropped a bit, unless you are willing to put in some sweat equity. Even then, remodels cost a fortune as it seems nobody really needs the work and its a nightmare to keep crews on the job. Forget any kind of short term growth in a new build.

Also. I dont think it's "stupid" to live in Allen and commute to DFW. My spouse traveled weekly out of DFW and Love and honestly unless you are going in rush hour, which you don't to make flights to East Coast in time for any kind of work day after lunch, it's about 35 minutes to DFW, maybe 40 door to door.

To the OP, the only thing that's a hassle lately is American Airlines internal issues that have them cutting regular daily flights out of the schedule and delayed or canceled scheduled flights. You never know if you're actually getting out on time, if at all, or if you will be able to get back. Its nice to have Southwest as an option at Love.

All that said, if you could live anywhere, and there are great options closer to the airport like Coppell or Flowermound, I would look there first.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Economically Houston is equally close to DFW.

The infrastructure for winter weather in the South does suck. No road salt, just sand or chap rock and a lot of resulting accidents on bridges and freeway interchange flyovers. Chicago is much easier to drive around in winter time because of the materials and maintenance of the road crews. You do get what you pay for with low taxes!

Luckily, it hovers around freezing in Houston so that the ice melts once the winter sun comes up at midday. The inland location keeps DFW below freezing, even with the midday winter sun.
The reason the infrastructure for road ice stinks in DFW is that it so rarely happens that it doesn't make financial sense to invest in Chicago-like road equipment. Last winter we didn't get any ice at all. Your post was very misleading and implies that it's a much bigger problem than it really is.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV21 View Post
Are you suggesting Orlando is going to give better returns of my housing investment?
Assuming no loss, using your primary house as a vehicle for investment returns should be way down on your list of priorities when considering a move for an entire family. In my opinion and given the likelihood that most larger-metro housing markets will appreciate at a fairly equal rate over the long period in which people hold mortgages.

You will essentially be choosing a lifestyle based on a percentage point or two, if that, over fifteen to thirty years on the home value. That would not be smart in my opinion. Choose lifestyle and career opportunity first and make up any points in some other fashion.

In spite of the realtor propaganda, primary homes aren't really investments when the math is done vs renting and calculating in all factors including appreciation, repairs, property taxes, and insurance. They're more like a savings account. They're a good savings account, but looking at a primary residence as an investment isn't the correct perspective; again in my opinion.

Buying into fast trending markets like Austin is a type of investment, but you generally want to have the foresight to get in much earlier for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas