Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,861 times

Advertisements

HI all - I am in the market for new house. I got a two year old and 2nd one due next year. I work near legacy. Although I can afford big house (like 3000+ sqft, of course little far away from work place), I am thinking it's not really required now given the size of the family, instead live in a small house of around 1800sqft (3b/2b), close to work place for about 5-8 years and then move to big one. what are the pros and cons you guyz think of given your experience. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:14 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,158,905 times
The only thing approaching a "con" I could see is that the smaller house is likely a bit older, as most new construction has been heavily focused on big-box neighborhoods.

The "pro" side:

Closer to work, so more time at home with little ones, less time in traffic.
Possibly lower utility bills.
More established neighborhood (bigger trees, closer to services and shopping).
Likely a MUCH larger yard.

I've got a similar setup (1900 sf 3/2.5) - actually having downsized as my two oldest moved on to college/service academy. We have nary an issue with space, and my utility bills are less than half of my prior home. I did have to build a shed in the yard for lawn tools and bikes to keep enough space in the garage for two cars - and my two remaining kids are older than yours (7/5). They love having almost 1/4 acre reasonably flat yard and the huge driveway/alley ends up being an extension of such. Plus, we have a tree big enough for a "tree fort" for the boys and a ton of shade.

ETA:

I just saw that your focus is "new home", which I assume is new construction. That eliminates almost all of the pros. There's absolutely nothing beneficial about new construction homes today. Get the big house, hope the market doesn't crash and enjoy the commute.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,080,632 times
If you do not own a lot of quality furniture that you have invested in, then I would say size is not that important.

Focus on commute, schools, the floor plan, the neighborhood, storage (really important when you have kids!). Think about if you only have a 2 bath house, how big is that second bathroom? Does it have two sinks? How high are your ceilings? Do you have mature trees, a nice size lot, a garage that doesn't face front, quality finishes?

There's so much more to house hunting than "small" vs. "big."

Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
We bought over a decade ago into a planned community. We are house hunting and no way we will be buying in a small lot / large house scenario ever again. 1800 sq ft is not that small.

Look at the floor plans of these larger homes. The builders beef up the sq ft by adding rooms and space that goes completely unused or used so rarely it is essentially meaningless.

Buy a 3/2.5 ranch with two car attached garage on 1/4-1/2 acre close to work in an established well maintained neighborhood close to things you need. Don't buy a flip. Upgrade the floor plan and materials inside as you go. You'll get 5x the quality of the new construction in a higher appreciating area.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,181,169 times
With young kids, short work commute is a necessity not a luxury. If you want a smaller home, go for it. Just don’t fill it up with too much stuff.

Imho age of the house doesn’t matter unless it’s practically a tear down. Parents tend to become too touchy about new house and get stressed out keeping it as a model home for instagram. It’s better to have a lived in and casual home to stay relaxed yourselves and raise happy children.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:32 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
My two cents:
If you plan on buying small now only to upgrade later, my advice would be to try to get the house that you would be happy (or at least ok) living in forever. Home prices have been rapidly climbing over the last 5 years and barring another Great Recession, I don’t see any reason for this price climb to not continue for a few more years.

I bought my 2,500 sq ft house in Wylie back in 2012 for $175K. I could sell it today for close to $300K. The wife and I are happy with the house so we will most likely not try to upgrade to a bigger house and that’s fine since this house meets all our needs. We don’t need more space heck we have space that we don’t really use much now.

If we had bought smaller back in 2012 and now needed to upgrade, we would be looking at closer to $400K now. Best to buy cheap now

Old 09-02-2019, 01:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,318,799 times
I’m on team “buy the best floorplan in the best neighborhood you can afford.” The exact square footage doesn’t matter as much as how it lives. With two little kids, you definitely want two living spaces. One for kid/family stuff and one for adults. Two bathrooms might work but 2.5 is probably better so that you have a half bath for guests. From houses I’ve been in, anything between 1800-2200 has the potential to be a great starter family home IF the floor plan flows well.

Other things to consider:
-You may not want a pool while your kids are little.
-You may want a shorter commute so you can get home faster and have more time with them before their early bedtimes.
-Less money towards mortgage is good when kids are younger, especially if there is daycare to pay for, your spouse isn’t sure if she will continue working or return to work, etc. Keep the overhead low and flexible.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM

7,168 posts, read 4,567,553 times
5 of us lived comfortably in 1600 sq ft. Those big houses cost you more every month plus you have to clean it.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,248,031 times
If I were in your situation I'd be looking at a 4 bedroom house. You don't want the kids sharing a room, the baby will wake up the two year old and vice versa, so there's two bedrooms right there, plus the master for a 3rd, and if you want to have guests, you'll need another bedroom.

As someone else said, you need two living spaces, one for adults and one for the kids and their toys, otherwise the whole house ends up being a mess if you don't have a defined space for the kids. (Even with the defined space, they'll still bring their toys and junk all over the house, you'll see.)

Buy a house big enough to give you some room to grow into, while not being overly large. Otherwise I think you will regret your decision as your kids get older and your house starts feeling more and more cramped.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:10 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,557,960 times
You will probably want to stay in northern Plano or southern Frisco. The further south and east you go in Plano the more affordable but older the housing stock becomes. The schools will be excellent. Unfortunately most brand-new (and even ten year old houses) will likely be over 2,500 square feet.

I’d recommend looking at a mix of larger smaller houses. Pay attention to floor-plans for living space flexibility, storage, and bedroom configurations. If possible, I’d recommend looking for houses around 2,500 and try to find one with four or five bedrooms. If your wife is looking forward to going back to work, having an office might come in handy or just having a guest room is convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: