Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 8,736 times

Advertisements

Are there any Dallas elementary schools (public or private) that do not require their students to do homework?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 08:59 AM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
There is typically no homework in the Montessori schools. Those would all be private. Dallas is a large area. Is there anywhere you would like to focus?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, DISD might claim they have homework, but no one does it.

But it begs the question, why don't you want your children to learn the material as completely as possible?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, DISD might claim they have homework, but no one does it.

But it begs the question, why don't you want your children to learn the material as completely as possible?
There is ample research that homework provides limited (if any) value, especially at young ages.

OP, our kids attend a private Montessori in E Dallas that does not require homework until about 4th and 5th grade. Even once they start homework it is a very light amount. Kids leave to attend good private schools in town or DISD magnets so no one is getting shortchanged on learning material.

Despite that fact that my kids don’t have homework, they actually choose to read in most of their spare time in the evenings (we don’t allow them to watch TV or use electronics).

Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
There is ample research that homework provides limited (if any) value, especially at young ages.

OP, our kids attend a private Montessori in E Dallas that does not require homework until about 4th and 5th grade. Even once they start homework it is a very light amount. Kids leave to attend good private schools in town or DISD magnets so no one is getting shortchanged on learning material.

Despite that fact that my kids don’t have homework, they actually choose to read in most of their spare time in the evenings (we don’t allow them to watch TV or use electronics).
Thank you for responding to turf3's comment and the suggestion of Montessori schools. I'm interested in no/low homework schools due to that research. I'd rather spend evenings taking my daughters to dance, music or other lessons without the stress of completing homework that has limited (if any) benefit to young students. We are a no screen time family for our younger children as well.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
By the time, children are in second grade, a little bit of home work can help cultivate academic responsibility needed in higher grades. I think it’s a good way to keep parents involved in children’s school lives. There is value in it, as long as it’s not overwhelming children or their parents.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
By the time, children are in second grade, a little bit of home work can help cultivate academic responsibility needed in higher grades. I think it’s a good way to keep parents involved in children’s school lives. There is value in it, as long as it’s not overwhelming children or their parents.
I think that's a fair position and understand why people opt for more traditional education but my husband and I believe a no/low homework school would work best for our daughters who are not school aged yet. We've done our research, my husband and I have both gone through the system ourselves (through grad/professional school), and we have older kids (a 6th and 8th grader). I am in no way judging those who are okay with their kindergartener having homework.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 PM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
HPISD elementaries have no homework in K-1, other than reading (anything) 20 min/day. Second grade has very minimal homework, other than daily reading.
Not sure on older grades. When my older kids were in elementary there they DID have homework, but at least with the lower elementary grades the homework policy changed a couple of years ago.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:07 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
So far here in Coppell ISD (we only up to 2nd grade though), homework has been minimal and we are pleased.

Actually, it is the local charter schools that seem to assign a ton!

Old 09-17-2019, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,954 times
In Frisco ISD 4th grade No Homework. We recently moved here and this is first for us. IN California they had about an hour worth of HW every day. Not overwhelming but something extra to do at home.

This is driving us up the wall on how to keep our boy occupied so he is not on youtube/ps4 all the time when at home and not playing outside. Asking him to read or do some extra math is a chore if it was not asked by a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas