Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson has strict codes and they are enforced strictly, if that makes sense. A street can get pretty junky-looking until someone gets fed up and reports code violations, but once those violations are reported the city comes down like a hammer. They can't be everywhere at once and while some code enforcement officers troll streets and alleys looking for violations, some don't. Code violations can go for years without being addressed unless someone reports it. In short, if something bothers you you have two options. 1.) Go talk to the neighbor about it. 2.) Report it to the city and let them deal with it.

I know the element you're talking about in east Richardson. We don't see it west of 75 but it's very much there east of 75. The Target over there at Belt Line & Plano Road is a very different experience than the one over at Coit & Campbell. It's one of the only places around where I've seen women so trussed up in Islamic dress that only their eyes are showing. I personally am not comfortable with that. Obviously I don't say anything about it, but I don't like seeing it either.

Personally I don't see the point of sticking around if your neighborhood is turning into something you don't like and a place where you no longer feel comfortable. It's not a crime to move. You cannot singlehandedly resist your neighborhood changing, and you singlehandedly cannot stem the outflow from your area.

Our area is turning into something else too. It's not full of immigrants from very different cultures; rather it is filling up with young white Millennials who are either starting families or who have very young children. When I first moved into my house, my neighbors were predominantly elderly or middle-aged. They were friendly. The Millennials are aloof with everyone who isn't a fellow Millennial parent or potential parent. The area we're moving to is full of people our age, i.e. people with kids in high school/college or whose children have already left home. It'll be a nice change. Children playing in yards isn't a terrible sound, but it does get very loud. I never say anything about it because I'm not an ogre, but I do miss peace and quiet.
BigDGeek, please no offense, as you and I have agreed about many things, but I do not like this particular picture you have just painted of yourself.
Yes, I am one of very few blue eyed blonde haired people in the Target at times- so what? BE UNCOMFORTABLE. That's how you grow spiritually, mentally, and I would even argue physically, as the physical follows along.

Now you are moving because of Millenials? So you would really rather live in a community of people who look and act exactly like you? Like The Truman Show?

My neighborhood is not "turning into something I don't like". I moved here BECAUSE of it, not in spite of it. That said, if your neighborhood is something you no longer want, then yes, you certainly have a right to an opinion and a move. I have to say it hurts my soul when people feel this way though.

We will just have to agree on other stuff

Last edited by MarshaBrady1968; 09-26-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Preach it, because it is 100% true. (And Biafra4life is *not* wrong, either!)

As an Irving boy who regularly has people coming in to train from all over the Metroplex, I see this every day. Just last night the clients erupted into a raucous debate over whether Frisco should be branded "where entitled white people live." (Mind you, half of these folks were Addison) The more serious conclusion, promulgated and successfully defended by the rich white guy from Frisco, was that it was a place you move to when you finally become affluent and want to be surrounded by really nice stuff rather than "regular" stuff.

(I may shoot my mouth off about the difference between "middle class" and "City-Data Forum Middle Class" bc I get tired of the uppers trash-talking Irving as some sort of unsafe post-apocalyptic wasteland, but I pointedly kept my mouth shut on this one and listened for others' attitudes instead).

I don't even think of white people when I think of Frisco; I think of south Asians because that's mostly what I see whenever I go there. It's basically a suburb of Hyderabad at this point.

People in DFW are pretty snooty, that's for sure. I grew up in one of the snootiest areas (Preston Hollow) so very little surprises me. I do think it's funny when people in $300k tract homes in Frisco act rich.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:50 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Phoenix had a fairly similar mindset to DFW about real estate over 25 years old. I sense that there is a fascination with newness in the Sun Belt metros.

Garland is a classic example of white flight, which is why there is a sense that Garland is ghetto. Garland was 87% white in 1980, only about 35% white now. A lot of the white people who were in Garland in the 1980s-1990s either died or sold their homes to move out of state or to a newer suburb. The percentage decrease in Garland's white population during the last 40 years exceeds the national percentage decrease in the white population over that time.
I don't disagree with anything you've said here. That being said, if people are correlating decline with white flight, then Plano is going to be a fascinating study over the next decade or two. Plano's white population has been dropping steadily as more minorities flood in (especially Asians). I'd be shocked if Plano isn't a minority majority city pretty soon. Frisco is following pretty much the same trajectory. There are large swathes of Frisco that are pretty much Indian colonies, and that is happening right now with still plenty of build out left to complete.

So in ten years will we be singing the same song for these two cities that have represented the 'new is best' suburbs and been the recipient of white flight all this time? Time will tell.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I don't disagree with anything you've said here. That being said, if people are correlating decline with white flight, then Plano is going to be a fascinating study over the next decade or two. Plano's white population has been dropping steadily as more minorities flood in (especially Asians). I'd be shocked if Plano isn't a minority majority city pretty soon. Frisco is following pretty much the same trajectory. There are large swathes of Frisco that are pretty much Indian colonies, and that is happening right now with still plenty of build out left to complete.

So in ten years will we be singing the same song for these two cities that have represented the 'new is best' suburbs and been the recipient of white flight all this time? Time will tell.
I think Plano is about as white as Richardson is.

Plano:

67% white
7.6% black
17% Asian
4% other
3% mixed race
15% Hispanic

Richardson:

67% white
8.7% black
16% Asian
4.3% other
3.6% mixed race
18% Hispanic

For reference, Frisco:

75% white
8% black
10% Asian
3.3% other
3.1% mixed race
12% Hispanic

It's funny because I think of Frisco as the most Asian of the three when it's actually the least Asian. I predict Frisco will surpass Plano & Richardson in terms of Asian population pretty soon. Asians don't really move TO Richardson much these days. West Plano is where the Asians are in Plano (mostly), though I don't really see south Asians there. I see lots of east Asians; I can't tell at a glance if someone is Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

Plano is kind of funny because it's so large. It's hard to say "Plano is like..." because what's true east of 75 is not true along the DNT corridor. It's really the same for Richardson; there's Canyon Creek and there's the apartments along Bowser. They're like different planets.

I think east & central Plano have some challenges. West Plano is good to go.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
People in DFW are pretty snooty, that's for sure. I grew up in one of the snootiest areas (Preston Hollow) so very little surprises me. I do think it's funny when people in $300k tract homes in Frisco act rich.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:12 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
I think Plano is about as white as Richardson is.

Plano:

67% white
7.6% black
17% Asian
4% other
3% mixed race
15% Hispanic

Richardson:

67% white
8.7% black
16% Asian
4.3% other
3.6% mixed race
18% Hispanic

For reference, Frisco:

75% white
8% black
10% Asian
3.3% other
3.1% mixed race
12% Hispanic

It's funny because I think of Frisco as the most Asian of the three when it's actually the least Asian. I predict Frisco will surpass Plano & Richardson in terms of Asian population pretty soon. Asians don't really move TO Richardson much these days. West Plano is where the Asians are in Plano (mostly), though I don't really see south Asians there. I see lots of east Asians; I can't tell at a glance if someone is Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

Plano is kind of funny because it's so large. It's hard to say "Plano is like..." because what's true east of 75 is not true along the DNT corridor. It's really the same for Richardson; there's Canyon Creek and there's the apartments along Bowser. They're like different planets.

I think east & central Plano have some challenges. West Plano is good to go.

Those numbers have to be old. No way Frisco is just 10% Asian.
EDIT: I looked on Wikipedia, those numbers are from the 2010 census. I'm willing to bet that the white and Asian numbers are going to have changed considerably in the 10 years since that census count.

I'm very surprised at the population stats for Plano. I would have guessed between 50-60 per cent white, with a much higher Asian population percentage than Richardson and a lower black population.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Now you are moving because of Millenials? So you would really rather live in a community of people who look and act exactly like you? Like The Truman Show?

Why people move and their reasons are just that... THEIR reasons. I can totally understand why BigD doesn't want to live in a neighborhood with tons of little kids around... it is loud, you have to worry about kids playing in the street and be extra careful, etc. Especially when you don't have kids of your own.

My wife and I, we wanted to be in a neighborhood that either had little kids, or where the kids have all moved out. We definitely didn't want to live next to houses with a bunch of teenagers at home. Late nights with cars coming home blaring music, riling up our dog and making him bark and wake up our 5 yr old, etc.

Same goes for race/ethnicity, wealth, education... The list goes on and on. People want neighbors that are in a similar stage of life or have similar demographics. Diversity is fine, provided you have enough other things to relate to your neighbors. If you don't then you won't ever have a real connection to your neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Why people move and their reasons are just that... THEIR reasons. I can totally understand why BigD doesn't want to live in a neighborhood with tons of little kids around... it is loud, you have to worry about kids playing in the street and be extra careful, etc. Especially when you don't have kids of your own.

My wife and I, we wanted to be in a neighborhood that either had little kids, or where the kids have all moved out. We definitely didn't want to live next to houses with a bunch of teenagers at home. Late nights with cars coming home blaring music, riling up our dog and making him bark and wake up our 5 yr old, etc.

Same goes for race/ethnicity, wealth, education... The list goes on and on. People want neighbors that are in a similar stage of life or have similar demographics. Diversity is fine, provided you have enough other things to relate to your neighbors. If you don't then you won't ever have a real connection to your neighborhood.
Exactly. We have nothing in common with these Millennials other than skin color. I'd rather live around people of my age range, education level, and income level who are of any ethnic background.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:45 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Quote:
If you can afford a 300k house without becoming semi-permanently house-poor, you're *totally* rich by Irving standards.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Plano is really big and offers something for every budget.

@BigDGeek is moving to a wealthier pocket of 75093 zip code. It’s nearly 75% white and has a higher level of education, affluence and property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas