Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:58 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It's very Dallas too -bulldoze the valley for a freeway and then endlessly reminisce about what used to be there.
Except that's not what happened...

West of the intersection of 635 and 35, the Elm fork of the Trinity River is still very much there, along with its river bottom land and Valley View Lane still very much crosses it. You can't "bulldoze the valley for a freeway" unless you want to create massive flooding up and downstream for miles. That's how bottom land of meandering alluvial rivers in the Great Plains works.

In fact, looking at Google Maps, it looks to me like the length of Valley View Lane that's still identified as Valley View is considerably longer than the bit that was used for the alignment of the straight east-west portion of LBJ between Midway and Coit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Has any gentrification occurred north of Dallas Midtown project? The apartments around Spring Valley always seemed sketchy to me.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:59 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Has any gentrification occurred north of Dallas Midtown project? The apartments around Spring Valley always seemed sketchy to me.
The Dallas Midtown project (such as it is) runs along Manderville Lane between Walnut Hill and Royal.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The Dallas Midtown project (such as it is) runs along Manderville Lane between Walnut Hill and Royal.
Wrong project.

*THIS* is the Dallas Midtown we're talking about (near the Galleria and on the site of Valley View Mall):

Dallas Midtown

Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Nope. Still no signs of life.

Every few months or so, Scott Beck blows hot air about going vertical soon or companies who have expressed interest. But that's it.

I gotta say, it's so emotionally draining having to drive by that rotting carcass with the creepy AMC sign surrounded by a bowl of dust

Old 04-23-2021, 10:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Nothing this Big happens at once and overnight. The Infrastructure is what's being focused on at this moment. Us regular civilians will never be in the loop of daily progress. So until we see cranes going up it will continue to look like a bowl of dust. That doesn't mean it's stagnant. The plans are still in place. Maybe it has stagnated a bit because of covid but the whole country stagnated because of covid.

Here recently it has been noted that the national economy is ROARING back. So as things continue to thaw out...pre-covid plans will too. Give it time. The ending results(whenever we see them) will definitely be well received.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:21 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Wrong project.

*THIS* is the Dallas Midtown we're talking about (near the Galleria and on the site of Valley View Mall):

Dallas Midtown
I know what you're talking about, and I'm telling you that the actual Midtown project -- the one with real buildings on the ground -- is somewhere else.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
...and I'm telling you that the actual Midtown project -- the one with real buildings on the ground -- is somewhere else.
But the person you responded to wasn't asking about that project.

And if they cared to know, they would have asked about that project instead.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I visited the area today. Demolition started in 2016. There is nothing remotely close to a new building. The retail buildings on the border have not done any improvements. The sketchy apartments haven't changed.

In the same time frame, Legacy West has completed new office towers, retail, and residential units. There is a new Legacy West tower on the JP Morgan Chase office complex.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 PM

379 posts, read 366,578 times
I was told by someone with insider knowledge that the project is still happening and progress is being made behind the scenes on the park. Also, it will be renamed. I remain skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: