U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 35,591 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I moved to Saginaw (Fort Worth Area) back in December, but his job has since transferred him to the Dallas side (Northpark mall area). We have been looking for a home within 30 minutes of that area that is

1. Less than 175k (I'm a stay at home mom)

2. Big enough for a family of seven (unlike many people on this board, we don't NEED 3000 square feet...anything around 2000 will be just fine. My husband and I both come from large families that certainly didn't have big houses and we turned out just fine. No offense!)

3. Good schools. We have a son with autism and two very gifted children so we need a district that can accomodate on both sides of the spectrum, if you know what I mean

We have been to look in the Plano area and are unsure of some of the neighborhoods that we've seen. They are older, which we love, but some of the yards aren't necessarily kept up...I'm not sure if that is a reflection of age OR a sign of a neighborhood going downhill. I don't want to live in an area where my kids can't ride there bikes outside.

Is anyone familiar with the Park Forest neighborhoods? (Spring Creek and Alma) Also, what about Garland? Any other areas that you would suggest looking in? We aren't opposed to living in Dallas, but the areas that we can afford leave alot to be desired as far as schools go. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rebecca
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM

4,198 posts, read 14,563,233 times
Many of the homes in the Park Forest area have foundation issues. Shop carefully. Many of them are owned by people that lived in them and then upgraded to a newer house in Plano and kept the house as a rental.

You may want to check Garland, Mesquite, Richardson would be an option too.

Naima

Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM

37 posts, read 100,569 times
It sounds like you may need to get a realtor who can alot of leg work for you. There are alot of really good ones out there. I lived in Garland for 9 years and loved it and the schools were awesome. I have since moved to Lavon. It is a bit of a drive, but the neighborhood is great and the schools are top notch as well. You should check out Grand Heritage in Lavon. It is only 10 minutes to George Bush.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,649,628 times
To stay within the OP's requested 30 minute commute for her husbands work by NorthPark Mall in Dallas I'd suggest Richardson (and Garland). This will give your husband a 20-30 minute commute (15-20 if you get something in the Lake Highlands area) and homes w/in your price range w/ a good school district and family atmosphere. Some parts of Garland will be w/in 30 minutes of NorthPark as well and still in a good school district and family atmosphere. I'm in Garland and have experience w/ the Gifted program as I have a child that is in it. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even being in northeast Garland up in the Firewheel area I can still get to NorthPark in 25-30 minutes in non rush hour easily (door to door).

Getting too far out in some areas of Plano would be well over the 30 minute commute and with a large family I'm sure your husband would PREFER to stay close to home to enjoy them.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM

12,160 posts, read 20,106,441 times
From my part of Richardson (Beltline/75), the door to door trip to Northpark mall takes 10 minutes. This is the NON rush hour time, of course.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,257,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
To stay within the OP's requested 30 minute commute for her husbands work by NorthPark Mall in Dallas I'd suggest Richardson (and Garland). This will give your husband a 20-30 minute commute (15-20 if you get something in the Lake Highlands area) and homes w/in your price range w/ a good school district and family atmosphere. Some parts of Garland will be w/in 30 minutes of NorthPark as well and still in a good school district and family atmosphere. I'm in Garland and have experience w/ the Gifted program as I have a child that is in it. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even being in northeast Garland up in the Firewheel area I can still get to NorthPark in 25-30 minutes in non rush hour easily (door to door).

Getting too far out in some areas of Plano would be well over the 30 minute commute and with a large family I'm sure your husband would PREFER to stay close to home to enjoy them.
In Lake Highlands, you'd be able to get a 3br, 2ba with 1400 to maybe 1500 sq ft. Heading north a bit into Richardson would definitely yield you a larger 1800-2000 sq ft home. Richardson School District is pretty good - but you'll have to look at the specific schools your home would be in - I don't know Richardson that well - might be a good time to ping a realtor.

Brian

Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,417,367 times
You might look in the Canyon Creek neighborhood of Richardson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas