Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I noticed a sound during days outside my home. At first I thought someone was putting a new roof on and I was hearing hammering sounds but I would not find a roof job near me. We have noticed some large black birds hanging around on the roof of our house and some neighbors most recently. My wife thinks th birds are one of the three mentioned in title.

Anyone had experience with such a bird pecking on the wood or shingles of a home in Plano area? If so how do you get rid of them?

Thanks in adance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
More likely woodpeckers are doing the noisy pecking.

The large black birds could be crows or grackles, more likely to be grackles just because there are so darn many of them. Grackles are more slender and crows are heavier bodied. Plus the color of the grackle often shades into a dark grey here and there whereas crows are pretty much always pure black.

There is basically nothing you can do about crows or grackles, they are way too intelligent to be scared off by stuff like fiberglass fake owls. But they are probably not the source of your concern. It's probably woodpeckers and I don't know what if anything you could do about them, either. If they are actually getting after worms and grubs in trees, it's no harm. It's only if they start pecking holes in the house that it's an issue.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:38 AM

The pecking is pretty loud, sounds like a roofer hammering nails into plywood on my roof or very near by. When I went out to see what it was and saw the huge back birds again as I have lately for some reason., I clapped my hands and they flew off and the noise has stopped for the past couple of hours. Seem louder than a wood pecker but I am not at all sure

Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
This is the time of year when rodents try to find a suitable warm place to sit out the winter... It's possible mice or squirrels have gotten into your attic from the roof somewhere, and the birds are trying to get at them.

We had this happen last year to us, two squirrels took up residence and several large black birds (not sure what they were either) would see them and try to make them a snack. The birds left after we put poison pellets in the attic and killed the squirrels.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanks that makes perfect sense and sounds like my situation too as we have had small rodents in our attic when we moved in 9 years ago. Did the poison pellets you put out cause the rodents to leave the attic.? Sounds like they did leave to die but wanted to be sure it worked that way.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:25 AM

No, I had to retrieve them, thankfully they died out in the open, the instructions said to put the poison where we could see signs of droppings. They don't pee/poop where they are actually nesting, so hopefully they will die in an easy to reach location like they did for me, or try mouse traps.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Ok thanks I assume this is something an exterminator can do too.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 PM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
Not sure where you're from but we don't have ravens and crows in Dallas. Grackles, yes, but they do not peck. It would be a woodpecker species if it is in fact a bird. They will move on faster than it will take to try to address. Give it some time and enjoy the sounds of nature.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
Not sure where you're from but we don't have ravens and crows in Dallas. Grackles, yes, but they do not peck. It would be a woodpecker species if it is in fact a bird. They will move on faster than it will take to try to address. Give it some time and enjoy the sounds of nature.

You must not go outside much. They can be found all over north TX.

https://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/american-crow/

Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
We used to have a woodpecker, it was really noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas