Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

OP was nearly 4 years ago.....

Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
OP was nearly 4 years ago.....
Yeah, relo packages were probably a lot different in April of '08 than they are today...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM

99 posts, read 171,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Yeah, relo packages were probably a lot different in April of '08 than they are today...
Is it sill possible to have the relocation package this days?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
Is it sill possible to have the relocation package this days?
If you are applying for a position that is Director/VP or higher, then yes. Below that, I think you'd be hard pressed to find that right now.

You may be able to find a company willing to pay 5-10k as a lump sum for relocation expenses these days, but that is really a pretty small number compared to the cost and work involved with a move, unless you do it all yourself. When I moved from TX to FL, I was a single guy living in a 1700sq ft condo. The cost of having movers come and pack up everything, load a truck up and ship everything to FL, and giving me corporate housing while I searched for a house and waited for mine to sell was about $40k. I didn't even end up having them move a car of mine, that would have been another 2k expense. If you have a family, then obviously the costs would have been even greater.

So, unless you're pulling in the big bucks, don't expect a relo package, but it never hurts to ask if they are willing to throw in some money to pay some expenses. Just don't let that be a deciding factor in whether you choose to take a job or not.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM

99 posts, read 171,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you are applying for a position that is Director/VP or higher, then yes. Below that, I think you'd be hard pressed to find that right now.

You may be able to find a company willing to pay 5-10k as a lump sum for relocation expenses these days, but that is really a pretty small number compared to the cost and work involved with a move, unless you do it all yourself. When I moved from TX to FL, I was a single guy living in a 1700sq ft condo. The cost of having movers come and pack up everything, load a truck up and ship everything to FL, and giving me corporate housing while I searched for a house and waited for mine to sell was about $40k. I didn't even end up having them move a car of mine, that would have been another 2k expense. If you have a family, then obviously the costs would have been even greater.

So, unless you're pulling in the big bucks, don't expect a relo package, but it never hurts to ask if they are willing to throw in some money to pay some expenses. Just don't let that be a deciding factor in whether you choose to take a job or not.
What about Tech Co' in Texas where I read that they needed a lot of talented people to fill in the position. Would you think they're willing to pay relocation package?

Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
What about Tech Co' in Texas where I read that they needed a lot of talented people to fill in the position. Would you think they're willing to pay relocation package?
That's not enough information to really make a guess about. What company? What position? How much does it pay? For a job paying 50-60k a year, I doubt they'd be willing to offer much in the way of relocation.

For a job paying 100k+? Sure, you're much more likely to be able to negotiate relo.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That's not enough information to really make a guess about. What company? What position? How much does it pay? For a job paying 50-60k a year, I doubt they'd be willing to offer much in the way of relocation.

For a job paying 100k+? Sure, you're much more likely to be able to negotiate relo.
Relocation packages are hard to come by these days.

I'll give you an example just so you know how tough it is to get a decent relocation stipend:

A job that pays $400K/yr - relocation bonus offered? $3K.

The days of yore are long gone, my friends.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
It depends on your industry, how in-demand your skills are and how easily replaced you are.

If you're a highly skilled technical worker in high demand- you can likely negotiate a better package or even bonus than a mid-level HR manager...

If your skills are enough in demand, companies will pluck you from abroad, hooking you up with a corporate visa if needed, if you're that guy...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
It depends on your industry, how in-demand your skills are and how easily replaced you are.

If you're a highly skilled technical worker in high demand- you can likely negotiate a better package or even bonus than a mid-level HR manager...

If your skills are enough in demand, companies will pluck you from abroad, hooking you up with a corporate visa if needed, if you're that guy...
FWIW, I know some people who got relo packages to take jobs in the Metroplex fairly recently. Some were straight "signing bonus, use as needed", others were "signing bonus and we pay certain moving expenses". As noted by others, in their cases they had a skillset that the company needed and couldn't readily find in the area. Also, they were all fairly well compensated people (they all fit the definition of "Highly Compensated Employees" under IRS regs, if that means anything to anyone).

THBS, obviously those types of opportunities are far fewer than in, say, 2007.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 AM

103 posts, read 201,596 times
Default gross ups

If nothing else ask that the benefits you receive from relocation can be "grossed up" meaning they pay the taxes on them or you may be in for a shock come tax time-every move we have made our company generally takes care of everything-but as for moving-mark every box -and photograph everything that goes on that truck-things disappear on those trucks like "socks in the washing machine!" Even though movers mark the boxes as they want i have found marking with numbers in different sharpie colors for each room-and then i photograph each box as it goes on-good for insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: