U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:45 PM

3,680 posts, read 3,451,097 times

Advertisements

“The $30 million residential project, which will have 125 houses, is part of a nationwide trend toward rental single-family home development.“

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ational-trend/

Is this the only one?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:26 AM

24,567 posts, read 37,613,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
“The $30 million residential project, which will have 125 houses, is part of a nationwide trend toward rental single-family home development.“

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ational-trend/

Is this the only one?
This is why I like to live in areas that are already built out...so stuff like this doesn't slide in close by.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM

41 posts, read 16,170 times
The word "Luxury" is now a red flag for me. When apartment developers use it, it is more often a marketing ploy of disingenuous ruse. I have recently moved back to Collin County (used to live here, but left for international contracting in 2010). Moving with a family on short notice is a heck of a project. Did not have the time to secure a house rental, so I went for a more expensive, large apartment in West Plano that had the word "Luxury" in its description title. Easily the worst place I ever rented. Terrible management, poor maintenance, and unruly neighbors. I can see that some 10 years ago this complex was a nice one. Apartments are not bad, just poorly managed.

It seems that any easily affordable "Luxury" developments attract tenants that very few would want for neighbors. It is the kind of tenant that may not be able to swing a credit/rental history application for a single residence home.

Lesson learned. Can't wait for the 1 year lease to be over. Even thinking of drafting a lease breaking letter since I pretty much have a legit clause to do it.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is why I like to live in areas that are already built out...so stuff like this doesn't slide in close by.
Smart strategy @BigDGeek

Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post
The word "Luxury" is now a red flag for me. When apartment developers use it, it is more often a marketing ploy of disingenuous ruse. I have recently moved back to Collin County (used to live here, but left for international contracting in 2010). Moving with a family on short notice is a heck of a project. Did not have the time to secure a house rental, so I went for a more expensive, large apartment in West Plano that had the word "Luxury" in its description title. Easily the worst place I ever rented. Terrible management, poor maintenance, and unruly neighbors. I can see that some 10 years ago this complex was a nice one. Apartments are not bad, just poorly managed.

It seems that any easily affordable "Luxury" developments attract tenants that very few would want for neighbors. It is the kind of tenant that may not be able to swing a credit/rental history application for a single residence home.

Lesson learned. Can't wait for the 1 year lease to be over. Even thinking of drafting a lease breaking letter since I pretty much have a legit clause to do it.
Agreed. “Luxury” is hard to define and often used to deceive consumers. Didn’t you visit before signing lease?

Old 11-07-2019, 12:15 PM

4,784 posts, read 5,393,030 times
Quote:
“Luxury” is hard to define and often used to deceive consumers.

Luxury in housing just means 'new'.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,492,228 times
I will take single family homes over apartments any day.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Smart strategy @BigDGeek

Thanks. The area where we live now isn't 100% built out; it's probably 95% built out. There's no telling what the remaining empty land will become, but my money is on office buildings, more retail (like the area needs it ), or some of those soulless 5 story apartment buildings built around a parking garage. Or maybe all three. I don't think it'll become restaurants; the area already seems a little restauranted out.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Never underestimate DFW’s capacity for more restaurants.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Never underestimate DFW’s capacity for more restaurants.
The area already has tons of them...and not fast food restaurants either. They're everywhere along the highway and at every major intersection. What's more, most (of the ones we've been to) don't seem especially busy at dinnertime. I'm guessing they depend on the lunch crowd more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>