Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times

Advertisements

I was just hit with this and I have NO clue what to do for this poor girl.

She is young, married with 2 children and 1 on the way. Her husband works at Subway and gets no insurance. She has no insurance. Her oldest,the biological father pays no child support, therefore can get medicade for her. She though can not get medicad for her toddler son or get pre natal care. She seems to be penelaized for being married, because if she wasn't married, she would qualify... I know this from a couple of weeks ago, finding out that a distant relative did this with her fiance... got pg before getting married... that way they didn't have to pay for it since they have no insurance. Personally, to each their own I guess. I just find it sad to see a couple struggle who work hard without asking anyone for anything and then not be able to get help when they most need it...
Here is the letter she wrote me,
Quote:
i don't know when or if i'll find out what i'm having. medicaid approved *daughter* for insurance since she isn't supported by *ex husband* but didn't approve me or *son*, so i can't go to the doctor or anything. we're hoping this pregnancy isn't a bad one like *son* was, because i think we may have to just show up at an ER in labor and pay back the 10,000$ it costs to have a baby over the next 10-15 years. it's really frustrating and stressful. i'm 14 weeks now and i see no light in the near future. maybe something will eventually work out, but i don't see how it could right now. ) :
She just moved from Mississippi and has been here about a year in Mckinney. I have known her since she was just a kid herself and was pleasantly surprised she moved to my neck of the woods.

I keep thinking that the county hospital could give her some information.. Does anyone know where she can get pre natal care for free or for very little, since Medicade won't approve? I think that is the most important thing at this stage, to make sure that she and her baby are ok..... anyone know if anyone takes charity cases, maybe a good mid wife in Collin County? When I lived in Florida, there was a medical doctor who saw sick children for free at the school once a week. Is there anything like that here in Collin County for her toddler?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM

150 posts, read 857,911 times
Ask her to contact Hope Resources (972-837-5580) in McKinney. Their office is in the Salvation Army building. They are a faith based crisis pregnancy organization. Maybe they can help her find a doc. Also, thegivingneighbors.org is an organization that helps pay certain costs for those uninsured or underinsured. Maybe together they can work to coordinate something. Although the woman who does the giving neighbors will be out of the country in a couple of week, so she needs to call now-972-542-6323. There is also the Women's & Children Community Health Ctr. 972-547-0606, 120 S. Central Expressway #106 McKinney, TX 75070. Can't say exactly what they can do, but they do provide low cost services once a week. Collin County has a separate indigent care program not related to Medicaid. It is very restrictive in income and proof of residence and such. She should contact 972-548-5501 or 972-548-5518 or 972-548-5500 and ask about the Collin County Indigent Program.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Unfortunately, Collin County has no county hospital, and they provide very little for indigent care. She might consider moving into Dallas County so she can get care at Parkland?

Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Thank you Deb, I just forwarded over that info to her. I almost think that if she had a job working in a medical office, maybe she could get the care she needs for her whole family. I want to be pro active with this and try to help her as much as I can. Getting info is the most important.

I am not up on this, if a woman is pg and doesn't have health insurance, is it considered a pre existing condition and not eligible if she gets insurance? Just wondering about the technical end of that.

Last edited by stargazer; 04-19-2008 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
If she goes on a group plan through an employer the pregnancy is not considered pre-existing. It would be impossible to find an individual policy that will pay. It's hard to find those even if you're not pregnant.

I know married couples with kids who are all on medicaid. I mean I don't know them personally, but I review medical records all the time and I see that often enough.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 PM

FarNorthDallas is right, pregnancy isn't a pre-existing condition. I think that is a mandate now.

While I would never recommend anyone put off prenatal care, Medicaid will pick up the tab for someone who hasn't had prenatal care if they are 6 month's along. At least that's how it used to be. Many women receive care this way. There are few OB's in Collin County who accept patients with Medicaid so most end up going into Dallas. Unfortunate but true. I know Hope Resources was searching for doc's who would accept nonpaying patients. So many won't take these patients not only because there's no money involved, but also for fear that if something does go wrong they will be sued.

I think she would still qualify for WIC, so she should check that out too. It's office is on the east side of town, on McDonald. Truly there are few options for families like this who fall through the cracks. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks Deb so much! I appreciate all the info you have given me thus so far.

I do want to look into why she can't get medicaid.. Maybe they made too much... I think if they make more than 25K than that is the cut off. I am not sure though.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Please stress to her that she needs to make sure she and the baby are taken care of and not to wait until she is 6months along or worse, just show up in an ER. There has to be some doc in the county that will accept a private pay patient. Someone in one of the agencies I've mentioned must have an answer.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Just because your friend is married doesn't mean she can't get medicaid. It will depend on the amount of money her and her husband make together AND the number of children they have to take care.

Tell her to go down and apply and see what they say. I had a friend when I lived in Texas who was married but was able to get medicaid for her pregnancy.

They base everything on how much money you make and how many children she has. He can't make that much money at Subway.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

According to her, her son, her husband and she were denied any health benefit from the goverment but her oldest was approved. She too has held jobs too... I though would not think it would make her go over the cap.

Please be in prayer for them...they are so young and have so much on their shoulders. They weren't planning this baby... that is life though isn't it.. I just am just going to believe that things can work out sooner instead of later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas