Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,729,583 times

Advertisements

I really like the highway set up in Dallas - the frontage roads offer easy access to the highways and I love the turn around feature that turns you from one frontage road, over the highway to the frontage road going a different direction. Makes, that "woops I missed my exit" easy to take the next exit and go back around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 18,660 times
Default From DC to Dallas

We just recently moved to Dallas from DC in Nov. and let me tell you, my heart just about jumps out of my chest every time I get on the highway. The driving here is not the best. People cut across for lanes to get off on an exit, they do not use signals, drive over aggressively, and I see an accident everyday. We were thinking our car insurance would go down moving from DC to dallas, WRONG, it actually went up because of the high number of accidents.

I personally think that if there was an aggressive driver program, meaning high fines for cutting people off and weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating, the number of accidents would dramatically decrease.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,011,493 times
I grew up here and hardly ever get on a highway. Many natives say the same thing -- ergo - you transplants probably brought most of the crazy drivers here...

Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,755,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrae2998 View Post
We just recently moved to Dallas from DC in Nov. and let me tell you, my heart just about jumps out of my chest every time I get on the highway. The driving here is not the best. People cut across for lanes to get off on an exit, they do not use signals, drive over aggressively, and I see an accident everyday. We were thinking our car insurance would go down moving from DC to dallas, WRONG, it actually went up because of the high number of accidents.

I personally think that if there was an aggressive driver program, meaning high fines for cutting people off and weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating, the number of accidents would dramatically decrease.
Ha, if you think we drive aggressively here, visit Houston... they make us look like amateurs!

And, after being hit five times the very first year I was here... I made some changes... one, I traded in my black car that no one seemed to be able to see for whatever reason... silver and tan auto's I've had no problems with... and two, I learned defensive driving to the hilt... to be aggressive, too, for my own self-survival. The last thing you want to be is a sitting duck in a mass of cars at high speeds where no one knows what they're all going to do next... ahead of the crowd pays!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Tta

64 posts, read 222,239 times
I've driven in lots of places where traffic rules were mostly suggestions (Italy, Puerto Rico, China). The main difference seems to be awareness. People here don't seem to be as aware of their surroundings (cell phones, eating, screaming kids, etc.) and drive crazy on top of that. The other places I mentioned, most of the drivers ignored the rules but were extremely defensive drivers, as new2sa suggests. Being defensive works very well, and if more people did the same, there would be fewer accidents.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM

86 posts, read 400,929 times
Ive been here in Dallas area for a few months and drivers on highways here
are downright DANGEROUS!! I cannot believe how fast you speed and tailgate and do you know what a blinker is?? I know you know what a horn is though.

Slow down.... people... watch your local news. There are so many traffic
accidents on your roads everyday.

Where are the police?? I have yet to see one a freeway/highway in 2months
since I have been here!! Who patrols the freeways city police or state??

The speed limit posted says 60 ... not 90.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
Driving in Dallas is definetly an interesting experience. Always remember, using your blinker is a sign of weakness, its OK if you put it on AS your drifting over to the lane but don't make the mistake of waiting for someone to LET you in.

I never worked in Dallas so I always did what I could to avoid the worse times, getting through the traffic was a matter of timeing. Some people don't have that luxury because they work in the midst of it all.

I dont know if its still posible but I used to drive on the shoulder of the highway to get off when it was too backed up.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM

16,549 posts, read 17,317,336 times
I empathize with you thureen.

I move from a place in England, population under 5000, to Houston.

Interesting times they were!

As a sideline, I'd been an advanced driving instructor and it sure saved my bacon.

BTW, a Houstonian was talking to me and asked how I found driving on the other side of the road.

I said, with a deadpan face, that I didn't- I just played chicken.

She believed me!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,695,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrae2998 View Post
We just recently moved to Dallas from DC in Nov. and let me tell you, my heart just about jumps out of my chest every time I get on the highway.
I have a totally different perspective. There's nothing worse than the DC area imho. On 95 in NoVA the left lane is for passing, the middle is where you almost get rear ended, and the right lane is for passing even faster. I've been on the road where the left lane is completely free only to have people come up to the person in the right lane going 90 and just miss hitting them, just to pass someone in the right lane.

I don't find it that bad here. My only gripe is that people don't use turn signals.. which I find inexcusable. Not having the courtesy to inform other drivers that they are going to turn or change lanes really frustrates me.

But all in all, I find that people here drive pretty slow on most roads. I find it difficult to change lanes because everyone seems to pace each other in all of the lanes and it's tough to squeeze in.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM

869 posts, read 2,944,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
My only gripe is that people don't use turn signals.. which I find inexcusable. Not having the courtesy to inform other drivers that they are going to turn or change lanes really frustrates me.
Have you tried using your turn signal with a cell phone in one hand and a coffee in the other?

It's all they can do to keep their vehicle going straight whilst driving with their knees...

(and yes, I've actually seen more than one clown doing this)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas